Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #15

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Very cool looking! Best of luck in your endeavor!

CindyL

Old 10-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughtful comments.

Obviously, we will have much to learn as we go forward, so we intend to keep our ears and minds wide open...

Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Luv the look.... especially the aerodynamic, split window front end. Suggest you connect the Nest to a classic 63 Corvette coupe as your advertising photo.

Also like the large bed, Hi tech features, and the quality suspension/axle. Would like to see the trailer sit a little lower. Maybe a lower profile tire would do the trick. A lower center of gravity improves towing stability IMHO.

Looks like a top quality product. Hope it works out for you.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Really very nice style and looks like it would be very comfortable and spacious for the size . Has a look of quality .... Nice !
Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
All I can say Robert is WOW.
The innovation, quality fixtures and design are inspiring.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Very sleekly European in styling! I can see where the Airstream 16' Sport Bambi might be your competition. You have designed a really beautiful high-end camping trailer which will appeal to those with money to spend on the finer things in life. It would be really nice, as an owner, to know every detail has been attended to and that one would not need to jerry rig, "make do" or adapt anything.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I'm awaiting the first post about pulling out the fridge and shower and water tank, replacing the toilet with a porta-potti . . .
Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #22

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
It's amazing how these little trailer companies keep popping up. And each designer makes their own choices about what they think is important and what to leave out. For me, I like the overall design and rear entry. The 16" tires are great and the combined heater/hot water seems wonderful but I'll bet it adds a lot to the price. I'm ambivalent about the "unit body" and we'll have to see how it works out. But a little pull-out pot for the toilet and a tiny electric-only refrigerator? Those seem way out of line for a $30k investment. If I had that kind of money for a new trailer, I'd probably think a new Casita or Scamp gave me more of what I wanted and I'd go travel Europe on the extra $12k.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm awaiting the first post about pulling out the fridge and shower and water tank, replacing the toilet with a porta-potti . . .

Hello Glenn,

The refrigerator pushes in and mounts to the face frame of cabinet. Easy to pull out, if necessary.

Nope, the shower enclosure itself cannot be removed, but all of the associated plumbing is accessible. And since the "Curve" porta-potty comes standard, there's no toilet to possibly replace.

The queen-size mattress is constructed in two parts with a "hinge". Folding it over and removing a hatch allows access to the fresh water tank up front.

BTW, all of the furniture components are built with high-quality, laminated birch plywood. No MDF or composition wood boards.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
The truck camper folks have been using the 12v tundra fridge for a number of years. There is a lot of info at rv.net.

Does the nest have a wood or any wood product in the subfloor? Is there a drain system if water intrusion did get into and down to the floor? Thanks in advance.... the design looks great
Old 10-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Hello Glenn,

The refrigerator pushes in and mounts to the face frame of cabinet. Easy to pull out, if necessary.
I should have used a smiley face. Seems like most of the posts on FGRV are people ripping out conveniences that came with the trailer and replacing them with holes.

baglo
Old 10-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I like the Eriba Puck-reminiscent rounded vee nose. I like 60" wide bed but there the 6 footer+ who can stand up in this trailer is going to touch both sides. Be interesting to see how this "frameless" monocoque hull works out over time. I don't know what an average box tube frame for a 17' weighs; can somebody translate 75% weight eliminated into lbs.?

jack
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
Hello Glenn,

I've read a few comments expressing concern about our "monocoque" chassis concept. Ours indeed is more of a hybrid set-up, with a steel frame up front and a load-bearing axle/suspension more or less amidship.

The monocoque design has been around for nearly 100 years, and is very prevalent within the aviation industry. In fact, our fiberglass shell manufacturer has been building planes for over fifteen years. I cannot tell you in this writing all of the specific engineering involved, by our builder assures us of its veracity. Rest assured, extensive testing will be done before we go to market.

As to our choice to feature a porta-potty, in fact, this was a decision suggested in a survey by a majority of FG trailer owners on this forum. The simplicity and elegance of the design award-winning "Curve" can't be beat. Whether it appeals to anyone outside our focus group remains to be seen.

And the NovaKool R3100 refrigerator may be small, but it's is arguably one of the best in the industry.

As we move forward, we will obviously learn a lot from our mistakes. We are in a good position to be flexible and make changes -- or offer options -- as necessary. No way we can be all things to all folks, but, with all due respect to our predecessors, we will endeavor to produce the highest quality molded fiberglass travel trailer in the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoq...nd_development
Old 10-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
Hi Ken,
There is no wood in the composite floor, but yes, there will be strategically placed "weep" holes, in case of possible leaks in the plumbing. Of course, that's never gonna happen!