Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #57

Name: Jay
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 25B17.5G. Pulled by a 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Oregon
The rear door may make it possible to easily store a small kayak on the floor of the trailer (rather than on top of the tow vehicle). What is the length of the interior floor in the hallway? Can the cabinet on the front floor be modified or removed, thus allowing for a longer kayak to be slid into the rear door? If so, what would be the floor measurements without the cabinet?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #58

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe there is a bed in the front with storage in the middle with the option of a dinette similar to other fg units. The fresh water tank is in the front also, maybe 10-11' may fit.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #59

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
I agree, a good advantage for bikes with rocky mounts or the modular kayak posted here already.

The Bowlus shows another Kayak idea at the 2.00 mark. Link
Bowlus Road Chief on Vimeo

Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #60

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Rabbit,

The queen-sized bed is 60 x 78". So, if one is taller than 6' 6" it's gonna be tight!
No, I'd say anyone over 6'2" is going to be tight. I'm 6'3" and I end up sideways on my Scamp bed which is the same size. You forget how much space a pillow takes up, as well as your feet when you're not standing.

Anyway, I like the design and I'd like to see some real photos of one. The rear entry obviously promotes efficient use of space. Some may not like it but I'd definitely consider it if I didn't already have a camper.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #61
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Thank you all for the kind words and thoughtful critiques. Though the Nest cannot be all things to all people, we nevertheless will seriously consider all reasonable suggestions that will move us toward our marketing goals.

FYI: We did look carefully at cassette toilets. And we may yet revisit the concept. Unfortunately, these require access from the outside through a flat hatch door. As many of you know, forcing a flat door onto a curved shell surface looks bad and doesn't work well. One of our major objectives is to assiduously maintain the clean style of our shell body, allowing as few interruptions as possible.

In fact, this decision to defend the integrity of the shell design was the primary reason for choosing an electric refrigerator. A 3-Way, absorption-style refrigerator requires intake and exhaust vents (also ill-fitting on curves) that don't yet measure up to the design aesthetics we are reaching for. Luckily, the NovaKool is an extremely efficient fridge and makes for a reasonable compromise.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #62

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
In fact, this decision to defend the integrity of the shell design was the primary reason for choosing an electric refrigerator. A 3-Way, absorption-style refrigerator requires intake and exhaust vents (also ill-fitting on curves) that don't yet measure up to the design aesthetics we are reaching for. Luckily, the NovaKool is an extremely efficient fridge and makes for a reasonable compromise.
I agree that one trailer can't be everything to everyone.

However, I like the choices you have made so far. I bought a trailer with an ice box so that I could put an electric fridge in and maintain the clean lines. I also vented the AC out the bottom for similar reasons.

Keep up the good work. I like what I see so far and look forward to seeing more.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #63

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I can appreciate all of the thought that went into this product!

Many existing trailer designs with 13' cabins are only 16' overall. Here in California, there is a HUGE cost disparity between licensing a 16' trailer vs. licensing a 17' 2" trailer. A California PTI license amortizes out to a flat $2 per year. But it is limited to 16' overall while anything over that increases licensing cost 500% or more at your price point. This is a significant factor in the calculus of total cost which could have mitigated the sticker shock.
I can see the PTI license fee for 16' is about $10 for 5 years in Calif. What is it for a 17' ? Can't seem to find it in the mounds of DMV regulations. The fee does not seem to be based on the cost of the trailer, but weight and length. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #64

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
I can see the PTI license fee for 16' is about $10 for 5 years in Calif. What is it for a 17' ? Can't seem to find it in the mounds of DMV regulations. The fee does not seem to be based on the cost of the trailer, but weight and length. Thanks!
It might be wise for individuals to check their own provincial/state costs, as here in Alberta any non-commercial trailer license is a one time fee of $109, no matter the size.

To not clutter up this thread further with regards to licensing fees, I have started another thread for discussion on this topic.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post430092
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #65

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post PTI vs. VLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
I can see the PTI license fee for 16' is about $10 for 5 years in Calif. What is it for a 17' ?
It all is dependent on how California DMV defines your trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV.CA.gov
Trailer Definitions

The following trailers are registered under the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Program.
Camp Trailer (CVC §242)
A camp trailer (body type CMP) is a vehicle other than a motor vehicle:
  • designed to be towed on the highway,
  • capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes,
  • that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and 96 inches in width.
Where a trailer telescopes for travel, the size shall apply to the trailer as fully extended.
NOTE: Any tent trailer is a camp trailer. A camp trailer shall not be considered to be a trailer coach.

Trailers Excluded from the Permanent Trailer Identification Program
The following trailers are excluded from the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Program and are subject to annual registration as usual.

Travel trailers and/or fifth-wheel travel trailers
Travel trailers and/or fifth-wheel travel trailers that exceed the maximum length (16feet) and/or width (96 inches) for a camp trailer are trailer coaches (body type CCH) and cannot be registered under the PTI Program. (CVC §§242 and 636)
Annual registration as usual means that trailer coaches follow the same licensing rules and prices as your tow vehicle.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
Here's a cool site about contemporary design…
If It's Hip, It's Here: Good Design For The Great Outdoors: Nest Caravans

Hey! What a coincidence!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #67

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Here's a cool site about contemporary design…
If It's Hip, It's Here: Good Design For The Great Outdoors: Nest Caravans

Hey! What a coincidence!
That was a nice out-lay.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #68
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
Very exciting news!

Thanks to our recent exposure on the "if Its Hip, Its Here" site last Friday, we were contacted by the designer of the Airstream Basecamp (and many, many other great projects), Bryan Thompson. https://bryanthompsondesign.squarespace.com

Bryan will be joining our design team to polish up the exterior, refine the interior, and provide material consultation and sourcing.

Stay tuned!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #69

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
That is good news, Robert. Though not for everyone, the Basecamp is definitely a well thought out and finished trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #70
Commercial Member

Oregon
Registry
FYI, we're not "remaking" the Basecamp or building any similar trailer that addressed that particular segment of the marketplace…

But we are taking advantage of Bryan's vast experience and skill-set within the travel trailer and transportation industries. His refinements to the aesthetics of the overall design will be huge for us. Can't wait!