Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #81

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You have to admit, Robert answers a lot of questions a lot quicker than some other fg manufacturers who sometimes seem to ignore prospective customers and owners after their purchase.
I for one really, really appreciate the responses.
Makes us know there is really someone out there
that is interested in our thoughts as well, good or bad.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #82

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Just to be fair, Robert is not in full production yet. He may not have as much time to socialize when he is.
The other manufacturer referred to, cough, Parkliner, cough, is likely in a different boat.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #83

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Just to be fair, Robert is not in full production yet. He may not have as much time to socialize when he is.
The other manufacturer referred to, cough, Parkliner, cough, is likely in a different boat.
While not in full production on the new trailer he is as far as I can tell still running The Egg Plant which I am sure he has learned that customer relations are an important part of being successful. It is nice to see that he is willing to answer so many questions on a product that is still at the drawing board stage.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #84

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
While not in full production on the new trailer he is as far as I can tell still running The Egg Plant which I am sure he has learned that customer relations are an important part of being successful. It is nice to see that he is willing to answer so many questions on a product that is still at the drawing board stage.
That's exactly why Robert has posted the rebuild of a 1972 Trail Mite. Those of us that have followed along on Egg Plant rebuilds of trailers learn a LOT! Pay attention folks, this guy knows what he is doing.. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ant-62241.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #85
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Ha! You guys are awesome!

As a matter of fact, David Is absolutely right. Though I'm not exactly sitting on my hands, while the real talent works on the refinements of our design, I spend the day wrestling with vendors. And reading the forum!

Incidentally, tomorrow we go through another design review. If all goes well, next month we should have CAD files complete. These will be translated into CNC files to guide the cutting of the plugs for the molds.

I am committed to delivering a spectacular product, and creating a successful business. Obviously, that includes nurturing a tight-knit, steadfast and respectful relationship with the FGRV community, and ultimately, our clients.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #86

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Incidentally, tomorrow we go through another design review. If all goes well, next month we should have CAD files complete. These will be translated into CNC files to guide the cutting of the plugs for the molds.

So...will you be able to meet the January actual-built roll out date spoken about in the threadstarter ?

Quote:
We begin the manufacturing process with the creation of patterns and molds within the next two weeks. If all goes according to plan, we should have prototypes built by end of January, 2014. Sales commence next spring.

Robert Johans
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #87
Commercial Member

Registry
When I opened this thread, we were on track... Then Bryan Thompson joined the design team and messed up our calendar. But his contribution to the process is so important that we are gladly willing to delay the schedule. Hold on to your hats!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #88

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Go get'um Robert!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #89

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Does the refrigerator vent to the outside? ... The NovaKool R3100 is an electric-only, compressor-style refrigerator and requires no outside venting.
Robert,

My question about outside venting for the electric-only refrigerator was more in regard to the additional heat load introduced into the cabin from the warm air coming off the condensor coil. That warm air coming off the condensor coil can help warm the cabin in cooler climates, saving your area heater some work, but it seems it would add more work for the A/C unit during hot summer months here in the South (when refrigerators have to work even harder to keep their contents cool). I know the NovaKool is small and efficient, and maybe it doesn't make enough difference to worry about in the long run, but it seems that having the option to vent the warm air coming off the refrigerator's condensor coil to the outside of the cabin would be a nice option when camping in warm (hot!) weather here in the South. Does that make sense? (I'm sure there are some engineers out there already looking up product specs and calculating thermal unit displacement x cabin volume / air turnover rate - or whatever! )

Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #90
Commercial Member

Registry
Good question, Dale. Up here in the Northwest, I hadn't thought the heat from the compressor would be an issue. I'll check with NovaKool and see if they have any thoughts and/or suggestions.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #91

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Well Robert, there you have it. Everybody has an option they want, but that's just not possible and I fully expect you have done your home-work. For me, if I had the money, I would be watching your progress with anticipation. Seems well thought out to me. Good luck.
Bizzian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #92
Commercial Member

Registry
Dale,

According to my rep at NovaKool, the R3100 will "produce about 250-300 BTUs of heat — about similar to that of a person at rest."

In the cooler climes up here, the subtle effects of the R3100 on the interior ambient temperature might be a good thing. But for those of you down south, perhaps we should try to incorporate a discreet vent of some kind.

Something for us to think over...
Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #93

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
If you've ever spent a hot sticky night in the South, you know that any BTU's produced by someone else nearby is too many.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #94

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
If you've ever spent a hot sticky night in the South, you know that any BTU's produced by someone else nearby is too many.
Sounds like the "Southern" model better have a twin beds option, Robert! ...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #95

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Roger come lately

Just found this thread. Looks like an interesting concept. A few thoughts from my point of view.

Sleeping under windows can be cold.

Sleeping side to side requires the far person to climb over the near person when using the facility at night.

I wonder if the heavier glass construction required weighs more than the steel frame. I used to have an early fiberglass sailboat (Balboa 20) which had really thick walls to support its 400# swing keel.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #96
Commercial Member

Registry
Hi Roger, thanks for your note.

Double-pane (thermal) windows will be an option. (Though, can't imagine not having windows around the bed. In fact, we're even toying with the concept of a retractable "skylight" for sleeping under the stars!)

We recognize that crawling over one another is a hassle, but our queen-size bed must be oriented as it is. This is a very common situation with compact trailers. Just ask folks with 13 footers!

The walls of our shell construction will not be much thicker than any other single hull configuration, though the infusion molding process provides more uniformity, strength and integrity. The floor, however, is a 1.875" thick combination of rigid materials, sandwiched between FG composite layers.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #97

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Introducing Nest Caravans

Robert, your new trailer looks like a smart move into a "higher quality" niche where your only competition is all shiny silver. If your actual product is as nicely done as your website you should have a winner.

We bought a Snoozy last year and certainly would have considered a Nest had it been available. There are obvious similarities to the Snoozy in size, layout, rear door, modern fg composite hull, etc. The rear door is great, I see no problem with campground layout and we can carry our bikes inside the trailer. The casette toilet is very easy to 'service'. Maybe yours is too. Did you consider molding a 3D hatch cover to fit the body profile but allow access to the casette tank?

Great idea to include a good 12v compressor fridge. I wish I'd done that instead of driving the cheapo dorm fridge with an inverter.

A must have for us was twin beds to avoid that midnight 'climb over'. I had to build that myself. When other campers check out the trailer they often say the layout (L configuration, one across, one lengthwise) is the best feature, I think because it is so rare in a little trailer and night time potty runs are so common. Check out the "about the trailer" link on our blog www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com

Again, best of luck.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #98

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I loved my cassette toilet in my T@da, self contained water source and disposal. Easy to empty in a cg toilet and one can fill with antifreeze and use all winter. Vey versatile.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #99

Name: elli
Trailer: ordered parkliner
Wyoming
Wow, a really well thought out design plan with every convenience. We wish you the best of luck. What do you expect your roll out time to be on these beauties?
elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #100

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Can anyone bring up their facebook? Been out the past couple of days on my end. Or maybe now it's set to private now, not open to the public for viewing maybe? Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote