Oregon
Registry
Exactly!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #114

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
While I am sure that this is a well though out design decision, in my old age, I rely more on field testing. I think that is why I buy Trilliums. After 36 to 42 years, all my trailers have stood up fairly well, (other then a collapsed roof).

Only time will tell. Have you considered how your system may fail, and a repair procedure?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #115

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
No continuous frame? That is something new.
Or then again, maybe not. Where Nest is relying on the monocoque strength is just where many egg trailer frames have a very weak section, at least on one side, under the entry doorway. And that of course is right under the weak point in the body, at the doorway in a 'conventional' Boler/Scamp layout - whereas the Nest body is continuous there.

Monocoque fiberglass structures are used in the boating world to carry sailing yacht keels, that are subject to loads that would shred any trailer, so it is only a matter of designing the laminate to carry the load. Nest could still get it wrong with poor detail design, but it sounds like they know that.

"It hasn't yet been done" does not mean either "it can't be done" or "it shouldn't be done".
Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #116

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I wish you the best of luck Robert and hopefully I'll see your Nest Caravan somewhere.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #117

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
Monocoque fiberglass structures are used in the boating world to carry sailing yacht keels, that are subject to loads that would shred any trailer, so it is only a matter of designing the laminate to carry the load. .
I'd point out that the difference in the case of a boat is that "contact area" of the stressor (the water) is spread evenly across the keel surface.

That seems very different to me from this design, where the tongue for example will be simply bolted directly through the floor, stopping at some point well before the axles. I s'pose some engineer has worked out all the numbers, but my uneducated eyes see that as a "leverage" point right where one wouldn't like to have it.

I, too, am looking forward to see the first built model- I'm going to be in the Bend area in a couple of months and HOPE the prototype will have rolled off the assembly line by then!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #118

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Introducing Nest Caravans

Actually the forces from the lead keel are transferred to the fiberglass through the keel bolts. Think about when the boat runs aground, the mud stops the keel which brings the boat to a halt in a few feet by giving a big 'whoa' to the keel bolts.

The Nest design looks innovative, no reason it can't be as strong as a conventional steel frame with proper stress analysis.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #119
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Hi everybody. Quick update on our progress...

Bryan Thompson has added some nice "automotive" styling details to our design, and we're currently hard at work finessing the engineering to accommodate the new look.

Couple notes of interest: we're switching over to a Kinro window that has a very clean "frameless" look — again, very automotive in its styling. And, we are very seriously considering adding up front (as an option) a retractable, "ragtop" moonroof — for sleeping under the stars!

We haven't made an "official" announcements about the re-design on our website yet, but I'm happy to let you guys take a peek at where we're at, as of this writing. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
NewNestRJ.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #120

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Robert,
As always you do quality work. I have seen some of your redos on older FG trailers the work is top line.
Chuck
Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #121

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Bryan Thompson has added some nice "automotive" styling details to our design...

... we're switching over to a Kinro window that has a very clean "frameless" look — again, very automotive in its styling.
I think the "automotive" styling will sell this trailer. I like it.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #122

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Might bump up the MSRP just a tad
Webasto Marine Roof in Maritimo C60 - YouTube

Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #123

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Wow, I LOVE that sun roof! Can't wait to see pictures of one on a FGRV.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #124

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Are these Kinro windows available in dual glazed? Something preferable to me.

All depending on the cost of the option, a moon roof would not be something high on my priority list. It would be cool thing, but in reality not sure how much it would get used. But, I am sure it would suit people in a warm climate better.

Really liking what you are doing with this trailer though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #125

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Introducing Nest Caravans

That roof is great! I'd love the light and ventilation and 'being outdoors' feeling it would provide.

Other than the obvious question of cost, I'd be concerned that it not leak in hurricane conditions which is exactly what you have driving on the freeway into a thunderstorm where it is easy to experience an 80 mph wind driven rain.

We were just at an RV show this weekend sitting in a new 16' Airstream, with about the same living space and tow vehicle requirements as the Nest. The AS sticker price was $43,000 so there is certainly a market for high end small trailers. IMHO, Nest is smart to build in features like the sunroof, 12v fridge, and hot water heating, features no one else, even AS, has.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #126

Trailer:
I think the removal of the step/kink in the waistline is an improvement in appearance - but then the step/kink looked such a production nightmare to me that my aesthetic judgement may be biased.