Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #141

Trailer: *13 ft Scamp
Just hearing about the Nest camper and the design looks incredible! I currently have a UHaul 13' CT and have been searching for a pre-owned Airstream 16 to add to the family, but this just might be a better option. Looking forward to reading back over the posts to find out how this has evolved (especially if there will be bed/dinette configuration options) and following up after models are available.
L Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #142

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
They tell you to dump the urine ON THE GROUND. I don't think this a good idea. I could do this with my Thetford which we only use for urine.
Good point. But I will admit that I'm guilty. Whenever I'm out in the woods, I sometimes dump urine directly on the ground........depends on how hydrated I am. Sometimes I do the same in my secluded back yard. So does my dog and the three now tame feral cats who hang around my house. I hadn't been too worried about it because urine is generally sterile and it contains ammonia (NH3), and nitrogen is a major component of fertilizer. Guess I'll have to place signs around the yard telling the squirrels, possums, armadillos, foxes, neighbors' dogs, etc., to stop urinating on my property. Although I wouldn't personally do it, I've even seen dogs urinating in campgrounds where I have camped.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting everyone dump urine on the ground. Compost toilet users can be responsible and dump it into a bucket and then dispose the contents in an appropriate place like a dump station. But I hardly think a little urine (human or otherwise) on the ground is going to destroy the environment or initiate the next pandemic.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #143

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carl,

I've been reading about composting toilets and sometimes the urine is simply diverted into the ground via a small dry well. Of course I don't want people urinating on my tires however I can tell some local dog does it occasionally.

I've been reading about Australian trailers and apparently dumping gray water in the outback is becoming a no-no. I can't imagine what harm, it would do. I just watched the Australian movie Tracks and am certain the environment could benefit from a little water.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #144

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Norm, I agree. Gray water does not generally pose a health threat and any organic matter (food particles, etc.) will be consumed by naturally occurring bacteria in the ground and/or insects and arthropods. Black water containing human waste is another matter. It can contain species specific pathogens which could cause health concerns. While dumping gray water on the ground in a campground is and should be a no-no because it could attract undesirable critters and give off unpleasant odors if it contains a lot of decomposing organic matter, I too do not see any reason for all the concern in the Australian outback. To paraphrase a common expression, "Does a kangaroo $#|+ in the woods?"

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #145

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mods can we get the toilet posts in the proper toilet thread you created?

Lisa, yes I saw a bed/dinette configuration as an upgrade option in the previous specs they released. I would like to know the cost of this, if you ever find out let us know.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #146

Name: Barbara
Trailer: Shopping
Illinois
It's beautiful. It's my favorite of the small fiberglass rvs I've seen so far online. I wish it was possible to see one in person.
Barbara Ann M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #147
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Greetings to you all!

As you may have already heard, Nest Caravans has been acquired by Airstream. We are very excited about seeing our vision brought to the marketplace by the premier manufacturer of travel trailers.

I will be working with Airstream as a consultant, overseeing the production of the Nest in Jackson Center, Ohio.

My sincerest gratitude to all of you have have contributed your comments, critiques and kind words over these past several months.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #148

Trailer: Home Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Greetings to you all!

As you may have already heard, Nest Caravans has been acquired by Airstream. We are very excited about seeing our vision brought to the marketplace by the premier manufacturer of travel trailers.

I will be working with Airstream as a consultant, overseeing the production of the Nest in Jackson Center, Ohio.

My sincerest gratitude to all of you have have contributed your comments, critiques and kind words over these past several months.
Congrats to you Robert. Proves it and you are world class...Fiberglass Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #149

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Congratulations, Robert, and the best of luck with your fine trailer!

Fran
'74 CompactII
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #150

Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Congratulations........
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #151

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Congrats on the Nest's acquisition, Robert. I certainly hope it was worth all the efforts you put in to this great trailer. All the best into the future.

Are you still going to be modding old FG trailers?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #152

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Congratulations Robert!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #153

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Robert, any ETA on when Airstream will be ready to launch the Nest under their brand? I was kind of hoping to pick one up in Oregon, but I can make Ohio work! Or, maybe they will sell through dealers??? Do you have any left for sale in Or.?
Congrats!
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #154
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Sorry, no idea when the "Nest by Airstream" will become available. I'm guessing spring 2107. I will be working with them to get production started at AS headquarters in Ohio. AS's network of dealerships around the country will be handling Nest sales.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #155
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Sorry, no idea when the "Nest by Airstream" will become available. I'm guessing spring 2107. I will be working with them to get production started at AS headquarters in Ohio. AS's network of dealerships around the country will be handling Nest sales.
I know personally building a fg trailer can be time consuming but I think 2107 may be a bit long of a wait but congrats anyways Robert .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:23 AM   #156

Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I will only be 162 years young. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #157

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I first read about Robert's dream to create his innovative "Nest Caravan" here in this thread initiated in October, 2013. Nearly 5 years later, after mixed enthusiasm and skepticism by forum followers, I finally got to "kick the tires" on one (now by AirStream) at a nearby RV dealership in central Alabama. Though much has changed over the years, and with new ownership, Robert's original vision for a stylish and modernistic fiberglass travel trailer is now reality. Well done, Robert. Well done....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #158

Name: Chris
New Hampshire
3,400lbs before you even put your gear in it? Airstream's non-fiberglass Sport model 16 footer only weighs 2,800lbs. Where is all the weight?

I do like the design, and having an 80" bed is something I could definitely upgrade to, but I don't see an extra $25k of luxury over a fully loaded Scamp.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #159

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
... I do like the design, and having an 80" bed is something I could definitely upgrade to, ....
I'm not sure how the bed warrants a "queen" rating. My wife and I normally sleep in a full-sized bed (smaller than a queen) at home and in our EggCamper, and when we toured the Nest yesterday, we weren't sure how the two of us could both fit on it - especially given how much the front corners curve. We didn't have a tape measure with us, and we didn't reconfigure the cushions, so maybe it was an optical illusion. Just our observation....
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...est/floorplan/
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #160

Name: Chris
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I'm not sure how the bed warrants a "queen" rating.
All I'm saying is that the advertised dimensions are bigger than the scamp which measures 78" (and even less for whoever sleeps closest to the back). 80" still isn't great and the Airstream Sport aluminum trailer seems like a better upgrade. I'm not sure either are worth paying $45k, plus we'd have to upgrade our tow vehicle and if you want to tow more than 3,500lbs. We bought our Scamp new in 2013 and use it for 3-4 long weekends and one week-long vacation each year. It has held up well and provides us with everything we need...except for a comfortably sized bed for someone 6'3".
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote