Introducing Nest Caravans - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm awaiting the first post about pulling out the fridge and shower and water tank, replacing the toilet with a porta-potti . . .
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
It's amazing how these little trailer companies keep popping up. And each designer makes their own choices about what they think is important and what to leave out. For me, I like the overall design and rear entry. The 16" tires are great and the combined heater/hot water seems wonderful but I'll bet it adds a lot to the price. I'm ambivalent about the "unit body" and we'll have to see how it works out. But a little pull-out pot for the toilet and a tiny electric-only refrigerator? Those seem way out of line for a $30k investment. If I had that kind of money for a new trailer, I'd probably think a new Casita or Scamp gave me more of what I wanted and I'd go travel Europe on the extra $12k.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm awaiting the first post about pulling out the fridge and shower and water tank, replacing the toilet with a porta-potti . . .

Hello Glenn,

The refrigerator pushes in and mounts to the face frame of cabinet. Easy to pull out, if necessary.

Nope, the shower enclosure itself cannot be removed, but all of the associated plumbing is accessible. And since the "Curve" porta-potty comes standard, there's no toilet to possibly replace.

The queen-size mattress is constructed in two parts with a "hinge". Folding it over and removing a hatch allows access to the fresh water tank up front.

BTW, all of the furniture components are built with high-quality, laminated birch plywood. No MDF or composition wood boards.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The truck camper folks have been using the 12v tundra fridge for a number of years. There is a lot of info at rv.net.

Does the nest have a wood or any wood product in the subfloor? Is there a drain system if water intrusion did get into and down to the floor? Thanks in advance.... the design looks great
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Hello Glenn,

The refrigerator pushes in and mounts to the face frame of cabinet. Easy to pull out, if necessary.
I should have used a smiley face. Seems like most of the posts on FGRV are people ripping out conveniences that came with the trailer and replacing them with holes.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I like the Eriba Puck-reminiscent rounded vee nose. I like 60" wide bed but there the 6 footer+ who can stand up in this trailer is going to touch both sides. Be interesting to see how this "frameless" monocoque hull works out over time. I don't know what an average box tube frame for a 17' weighs; can somebody translate 75% weight eliminated into lbs.?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Registry
Hello Glenn,

I've read a few comments expressing concern about our "monocoque" chassis concept. Ours indeed is more of a hybrid set-up, with a steel frame up front and a load-bearing axle/suspension more or less amidship.

The monocoque design has been around for nearly 100 years, and is very prevalent within the aviation industry. In fact, our fiberglass shell manufacturer has been building planes for over fifteen years. I cannot tell you in this writing all of the specific engineering involved, by our builder assures us of its veracity. Rest assured, extensive testing will be done before we go to market.

As to our choice to feature a porta-potty, in fact, this was a decision suggested in a survey by a majority of FG trailer owners on this forum. The simplicity and elegance of the design award-winning "Curve" can't be beat. Whether it appeals to anyone outside our focus group remains to be seen.

And the NovaKool R3100 refrigerator may be small, but it's is arguably one of the best in the industry.

As we move forward, we will obviously learn a lot from our mistakes. We are in a good position to be flexible and make changes -- or offer options -- as necessary. No way we can be all things to all folks, but, with all due respect to our predecessors, we will endeavor to produce the highest quality molded fiberglass travel trailer in the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoq...nd_development
Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Registry
Hi Ken,
There is no wood in the composite floor, but yes, there will be strategically placed "weep" holes, in case of possible leaks in the plumbing. Of course, that's never gonna happen!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Registry
Rabbit,

The queen-sized bed is 60 x 78". So, if one is taller than 6' 6" it's gonna be tight!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #30

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
The Nest is all real quality with hi end appliances and well thought out design. I like the back entry which gives you more room inside. It is a modern Compact Jr and Trails West.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Using a rear entry is definitely a huge advantage in layout, as it eliminates two corners to work with. Corners in any cabinet type layout or always awkward to make work.

The drawback for me is that most campsites are set up to have the outside living area off the passenger side, and often behind the trailer you are backed up near trees or something.

Like everything in life and moulded fiberglass trailers, there is always a compromise in some way or another.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #32

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
There is a niche for just about everything.
Being different is a niche in itself.

I love how sleek it looks and I like the design.

Of course, my pic shows that I am definitely prejudice........LOL

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...cture3955.html
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Robert, are there any of these built yet, and if so are there actual photos of the product?

Are there any thoughts or plans into the future for other models, maybe even a bit bigger one. I know for my wife (me too), a permanent bed, along with a decent sized dinette for two, is desired.

As mentioned above, I am really impressed with how things are sizing up with your trailer, and have a bunch of questions that I will likely fire at you in time, but for now will just let others take their turns.

And wood cabinetry for me is fantastic to hear. I have never been keen on the institutional moulded white look, though I know this is others preference.

You mention that you will build to suit, unlike the other guys. Not sure if you are aware, but Escape trailers has been doing this for a few years now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #34

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Where is the shower mentioned?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #35

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Robert, I see a lot of your design aesthetic in the Nest. It won't appeal to all comers, but it does offer a cool and new vision of what a fiberglass trailer can be like. Very nice
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For shower, go to interior details, then scroll left and right arrows, then hover your pointer over the shower door icon.

I wonder if this cabinet was left out (circled), if it would allow for a side dinette to be able and sit and face each other. Me and the wife were also wondering about a side dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
Side dinette.jpg  
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Where is the shower mentioned?
If you go to the Nest web page and click on the interior layout you will see the inside plans which have little blue arrows that you can click on - click on the tall door on the drivers side plan and it says "wet bath enclosure with porta potty".

I really luv the look of the Ramblewood stove top! Has move BTU's than my Wedgewood as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Robert, are there any of these built yet, and if so are there actual photos of the product?

Are there any thoughts or plans into the future for other models, maybe even a bit bigger one. I know for my wife (me too), a permanent bed, along with a decent sized dinette for two, is desired.
U
As mentioned above, I am really impressed with how things are sizing up with your trailer, and have a bunch of questions that I will likely fire at you in time, but for now will just let others take their turns.

And wood cabinetry for me is fantastic to hear. I have never been keen on the institutional moulded white look, though I know this is others preference.

You mention that you will build to suit, unlike the other guys. Not sure if you are aware, but Escape trailers has been doing this for a few years now.

Hello again, Jim.

Let's see how we make out with this first model before we come out with another!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #39

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Beautiful inside and out! Well designed for a rear entry trailer.
Having owned a few rear entry trailers, I am not a fan of the type, however it does look nice, Maybe because of the large size.
At this price point I'd expect a real toilet ....and where's the shower?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #40

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Robert, while i have moved on to a vintage motor coach (but ... FIBERGLASS BODY!), this, like all of your work, is par excellence. i wish you only great success taking the fiberglass travel trailer to the next level.
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote