Introduction of new member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Introduction of new member

Hi everyone.

I am turning 40 soon and am done with tent camping. My wife and I are looking for a lightweight RV.

We live in Ottawa/Gatineau area (Canada)

I found a NICE 2010 scamp 13, however, my research (on this site) led me to realize that it had BAD torsion axle sag so I had to pass at the price the seller wanted. The search continues.

Here are some pics of the bad axle on the 13 Scamp. There was 1/4 tank water in the Scamp and no other significant weight.

IMG_0499 by Z R, on Flickr

IMG_0498 by Z R, on Flickr

Can anyone point me to a good resource for pricing on the various years of ultralight (1000 to 1600 lbs) fiberglass RV's such as Boler, Trillium, scamp, cadet, ect, ect.

This form already saved me from overpaying for a Scamp with a bad axle, my gratitude.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The axel is more than likely OK on a 2010 S-13. The S-13 came with a 22.5 deg. up angle axle from the factory. The S-16 came with a with 22.5 deg down angle axles when up to that point the S-16 axles are bad. That looks like close to the normal position for a 2010 S-13. The trailer you are looking at does not have brakes FWIW.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Introduction of new member

Confusion comes because older (much older) Scamp 13's had a leading arm axle (arms pointing toward the front on the trailer) with a downward angle on the axle arms. If one of those was angled upward, it would indeed be shot.

As Eddie says, what you're seeing is correct for a newer Scamp with a trailing arm axle.

Rubber torsion axles are good for 15-20 years, and can be usable well beyond that. On a 2010, I would only give it a cursory check for damage, very unlikely.

On an older trailer there are a few things you can check to verify axle condition. (1) Check clearance in the wheel well. There should be at least a fist clearance between the top of the tire and the fiberglass when the trailer is resting on the wheels. (2) Check for axle arm movement. Raise the trailer by jacking on the frame just behind the axle. The wheel should drop down several inches as the trailer rises. Little or no movement means the rubber inside is hardened and the axle is shot. (3) Check for unusual tire wear, which could mean the axle is worn out or bent.

This one doesn't have brakes, but like all recent Scamp 13's it has the mounting flange, so brakes can be added.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
Well I have now learned something new.

What year did Scamp start putting these axles that face "up" on the 13' model?

I am not too sad that I missed this one as the seller wanted 10K CAD (8206 USD) for this base model 13 Scamp.

Where is the best place for me to research prices?

Thanks again all.
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote