Is Bigfoot considered a molded fibreglass? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Name: barnaby
Trailer: boler 13
Manitoba
Is Bigfoot considered a molded fibreglass?

I have been a very silent member to this great forum. I have owned a '76 13 foot Boler for 4 years or so. What made me purchase the Boler on first sight was the overall impression aesthetically from the street, and once viewed the incredible boat floor. I fear curling vinyl or linoleum over plywood when water finds an entry point. and I was very impressed that this potential hazard was substantially reduced by the molded construction with no wood in the walls and ceilings and the aforementioned boat floor. And to think the originator developed a Winnipeg company, and that his genius initiated the development of Scamps, Casitas and others makes me think that Ray Olecko (I hope I have the spelling), should receive much more respect in his hometown.

While I will never sell the Boler, I am still interested in a 16 or 17 foot trailer to get a fully self-contained unit (toilet and shower and water heater). I have not towed the Boler as of yet, and only recently changed the '98 Jetta TDI for a 2006 Kia Sportage 2.7 six. I am about to order a brake capable new axle for the Boler and with that it will fall within towing specs for the Kia.

The new trailer will primarily be a guest 2 to 3 season unit for guests in this resort area, and secondly a mobile unit.

I have not discounted so-called stick options and have been watching the adds. The two that have come up are both from the '70's-a 17 foot travelaire and a 16 foot Triple E. Both units are around 3000 lbs and fall far outside my current tv. They are priced at $2500 for the Triple E and $4500 for the Travelaire.

But I am considering a '84 or '82 17 foot Bigfoot on the market for $7400. I have heard that The the stated weight is 1875 lbs but realistically around 2200 lbs or so. Again, outsided of my tv towing specs for now. The interior layout with small angled bathroom looks to be the same as the two stick trailers, but what concerns me is the construction method of the Bigfoot. Some mention sagging ceilings and some floor replacement. With the substantial amount of wood cabinetry I would dread the job of floor replacement most of all. On the other side of the equation, I have heard many good things about the Bigfoot, and provided one had the money, the added insulation and winterized windows of the newer units make them much more desirable for cooler seasons.

So back to my chosen thread title-Is the Bigfoot in fact considered as a molded trailer. In other words is the upper section one piece or are their seams in addition to those around roof vents etc. Thanks all,
barnaby
barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
While my experience is very limited, and I have zero experience with Bigfoots, other than internet research, my answer is Yes, they are molded fiberglass. They are listed under the "Manufacturers" tab (see the white tabs up above).
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby View Post

So back to my chosen thread title-Is the Bigfoot in fact considered as a molded trailer. In other words is the upper section one piece or are their seams in addition to those around roof vents etc. Thanks all,
barnaby
The age and size of trailer you are considering is an all moulded fibreglass trailer made in two parts just as as your Boler is.

There are no seams around roof vents - simple cut outs of vents into the roof of the fibreglass just as your Boler has.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Bigfoot did make a few (very few) trailers out of fiberglass panels but they were not made for long. They are prone to the same issues that other stick built trailers have. I've only seen one and did not look at it closely. It was listed for sale and the advertisement mentioned some roof leaks. I believe it was a 21 foot. They usually sell for considerably less than the molded ones. You don't see them very often. I'm guessing they were built around 1999 to 2000.

All the 17 foot units are molded and they are great trailers. Your 2200 pound estimate is probably low, The newer ones are heavier but an 82 will be closer to 3000#, maybe more and tongue weight with 2 propane tanks will be around 350#
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My 1991 Bigfoot is about 3500 pounds loaded no sagging issues, of course Bigfoot is a full fiberglass trailer considered one of the best.Newer units weight much more.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Commenting as to weight only. We have a 1981 Bigfoot 17 gaucho and the weight fully loaded ( minus batteries and propane tanks , we camp 99% of the time with electricity and hence don't require either ) on a certified scale is 2480 lbs. Tongue weight as mentioned above with essentially nothing on the front A frame is around 340 lbs. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Bigfoot did make a few (very few) trailers out of fiberglass panels but they were not made for long. They are prone to the same issues that other stick built trailers have. I've only seen one and did not look at it closely. It was listed for sale and the advertisement mentioned some roof leaks. I believe it was a 21 foot. They usually sell for considerably less than the molded ones. You don't see them very often. I'm guessing they were built around 1999 to 2000.

All the 17 foot units are molded and they are great trailers. Your 2200 pound estimate is probably low, The newer ones are heavier but an 82 will be closer to 3000#, maybe more and tongue weight with 2 propane tanks will be around 350#

Bigfoot DID (once upon a time) produce a 24 foot "Millenium Edition" which was a sticky, with fiberglass panels. I went and looked at one. Just as many seams and joints in the body as most stickies. Seams where the roof met the sides, seams where the sides met the front (and back). I walked away (quickly)

My Bigfoot 21RB is a molded glass unit with a one-piece top half and a one-piece bottom half, just like all the other Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) except for the "millenium edition" units, which may have been a one-year only venture. I have had Bolers (both a 13 and a 17). Shells are the same method of mfg/construction, but the Bigfoot is MUCH higher quality. If Airstream is the ultimate standard of non-fiberglass trailers, then Bigfoot is the ultimate standard for 'glass units
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #8

Washington
�� 2000 BigFoot Travel Trailer 20FT BM Model Fully Self Contained&#128165 Haven't seen one of these lately and find one tonight. Not a molded fiberglass trailer!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:13 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Yup - that looks like the construction of the 24 foot Millenium Edition I looked at. Look at all the seams on that sucker! You might as well add in some slides just to round out the number of places for future leaks! (And if memory serves) the Millenium 24 was a very HEAVY beast!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #10

Washington
I saw one in Coos Bay Or. about 2 years ago. It must have been a 20 just like this one. What caught my attention was the asking price of less than $8000. It was listed for sale for a long time. This one I referred to earlier is only 20 minutes from my house. I wonder how many of tis construction were built. The Bigfoot motor homes are built from panels too.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #11

Name: barnaby
Trailer: boler 13
Manitoba
Thank you everyone for the replies. I hope my post was not too negative about the Bigfoot. I think my apprehension stemmed from the use of the word "panels". As I now understand-and correct me if this is wrong, the panel non-molded construction was only used for a short time in one edition of the camper. The other use of" panels", which led to my confusion, were the panels on the inside bonded to 1 inch insulation, thus avoiding wood framing members.

I think I am going ahead with my search for a 17 foot. It is clear to me that they are arguably among the best of the fibreglass line, that age incredibly well.
barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
Barnaby: I have a 2005 17.5 gaucho ready to travel it weighs around 4400#, i have added a few things(rear hitch and front hitch extension so I can open my tail gate) but not more than 250# that wouldn't be on a regular trailer. Not sure on tongue weight, keep in mind recommended tongue weight is 12-15% of trailer weight for proper towing. Good luck in the hunt!
Martin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
bonded to 1 inch insulation....

pictures of ceiling construction.....1997 B17CB....weight around 2500 empty, 3500 fully loaded for a week's trip...
Attached Thumbnails
roof.jpg   roof2.jpg  

roof3.jpg   sig9.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
As I now understand-and correct me if this is wrong, the panel non-molded construction was only used for a short time in one edition of the camper.
Your correct . Bigfoot did make for a VERY short time - a year maybe two? in the early 2000's a non moulded fibreglass trailer such as the one in the photo posted - they made them in a couple of sizes - they may as Dave suggests all have been the same special edition - not sure. If I am not mistaken they even made a truck camper like that as well!

Perhaps they were using the small trailers to practise building the larger Class A's they also started building about that time, which was a major corporate disaster. Ultimately resulted in their closing their doors for a number of years before reopening and sticking to building their all moulded fibreglass truck campers and 25' and under trailers.

The good news is they did not make many of those panel type trailers and they are easy to tell apart from their moulded fibreglass trailers and campers.

The other good news is the company eventually was reopened and is now owned and operated by a number of their original employees and they are back to only making all moulded campers and trailers.

The bad news for Bigfoot was in the time they were out of the market Escape had snapped up their small moulded fibreglass trailer market and Northern Lite snapped up the moulded fibreglass truck camper market which in these parts Bigfoot for years had a pretty strong hold on. As a result its been a bit of a tough road back for Bigfoot.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #15

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
pictures of ceiling construction.....1997 B17CB....weight around 2500 empty, 3500 fully loaded for a week's trip...
Ours is a 1989 13.5. The insulation on the sides seems to be very thin... Some closed-cell foam (I think) which was then covered by carpet by the PO. I can get a glimpse of this near the window where the carpet occasionally wants to gap. I don't think the rat fur is still under the carpet (although it still exists in the cabinets).

Do the 13's have more insulation in the ceiling, like we see in the photos? Or is that also thinner stuff like I'm seeing on the sides of the shell?

Tags
bigfoot