Is there anyone near Fredricksburg, VA that can check out a trailer for me? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Name: Kaat
Trailer: In market
New York
Is there anyone near Fredricksburg, VA that can check out a trailer for me?

I recently found an Amerigo camper for sale near Fredricksburg, VA and am wondering if anyone experienced with fiberglass campers can go out and inspect it for me?

I recently bought a cargo trailer, expecting to convert it to a stealth camper trailer but it turned out to have a lot of leaks and way too small for me. I sold it and am in the market for a fiberglass camper since they are supposed to last forever and have less seams for leaks. I don't mind a project, but not something that is in shambles! I like the looks of this camper but am nervous about sinking money into another money drainer and would like an experienced opinion on it.

I am a beekeeper and farmer looking to live the simple life by living in a small camper. Thank you for having me!
Rootflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There are several threads on Amerigo rebuilds. I'd read them and you should become an expert quickly.

1. Is floor solid everywhere?

2. Do appliances all work?

3. Does door fit well, or do you notice sag or out of alignment.

4. Look INSIDE cabinets and fixtures for signs of prior leaks.

I have walked through sellers on doing simple checks for me, prior to driving a longer distance. My results from such owner checks are mixed....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

New York
Thank you thrifty bill. I have already started to look into past rebuilds and compiling a list. I will add yours. And I'd agree that asking others may not be the best route... just nervous. Thank you.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootflux View Post
Thank you thrifty bill. I have already started to look into past rebuilds and compiling a list. I will add yours. And I'd agree that asking others may not be the best route... just nervous. Thank you.
There is a buyer's checklist in the documents section that I would ask any potential inspector to use. I downloaded it sometime back after offering to look at a trailer for someone. I don't have the link handy, but you can search for it or someone else might be able to provide the link.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

New York
Dave Fish - I already downloaded that form! Thank you.

I hope this is okay but if anyone could take a look at these pictures the owner sent me of the amerigo and tell me if they spot anything amiss? There is also a document of the info on the camper that the owner provided included. Google Drive Link.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
There is a buyer's checklist in the documents section that I would ask any potential inspector to use. I downloaded it sometime back after offering to look at a trailer for someone. I don't have the link handy, but you can search for it or someone else might be able to provide the link.
Here: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #7

Registry
Some sellers are clueless about issues. If they don’t see a river running down the center of the trailer, they think it’s leak free. Other sellers are devious to dishonest,

I should have taken a picture of everything I took with me to inspect/buy a trailer. Generator, flashlights, straight edge (4 foot level), extension cords, floor jack, 4 way lug wrench, full propane tank, various hand tools, magnetic temporary lights, spare wheels with tires, etc.

In the end the trailer I bought had 24 year old dry rotted tires, half the outside lights didn’t work, etc. I passed on a couple of others. One inspection took all of three minutes, flaws were very serious and very obvious!

My knowledge of what to inspect came all from this forum.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Donna, j was thinking of you as I typed "someone else". [emoji16]
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Donna, j was thinking of you as I typed "someone else". [emoji16]
Glad to help!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #10

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
wow! great pics! better than the inspection i did buying my own, lol!
other than a good bath & wax, i think it looks great.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #11

Name: Samantha
Trailer: Amerigo
Vermont
It looks like a great trailer, just as a side note I am surprised that they didnt need to put a new floor in the camper. My husband and I gutted and rebuilt our FG16 and our floor was a mess. If you search this site you will see a bunch of pictures of others with FG16s that had to remove the floor as well. If I were purchasing it I would want to stand in it and see if the floor was soft. Only saying that because to change the floor you have to completely gut the whole camper even if the rest is in good shape. Besides that it looks very nice!
skpcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #12

Registry
I'd check the floor very carefully. That air conditioner's installation would worry me. Otherwise, looks very good.

Of all the things to fix, floor rot can be the most involved. Damaged frame may be second on that list.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
It does look to be in great shape, many nice upgrades/remodel items done to it. You may be able to see the original plywood flooring inside of the seat bench area if he didn't run the new floor covering there, that may give you an idea of how much damage there was from the window leaks.

Have the seller check the door hinge mount area by opening the door about 6" & then push the top of the door forward towards the hitch.....any movement & there's likely some rotten wood in the door frame.

The window latches are a bad design on the original windows, they break loose from the window pane & so far I haven't found a good way to permanently repair them.

I have to agree w thrifty bill on the ac install.....it may not "travel" well.
That ac unit may be a potential water leak, you might want to get some close up pics on just how he sealed it up.

Good luck on your purchase!
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
It does look to be in great shape, many nice upgrades/remodel items done to it. You may be able to see the original plywood flooring inside of the seat bench area if he didn't run the new floor covering there, that may give you an idea of how much damage there was from the window leaks.

Have the seller check the door hinge mount area by opening the door about 6" & then push the top of the door forward towards the hitch.....any movement & there's likely some rotten wood in the door frame.

The window latches are a bad design on the original windows, they break loose from the window pane & so far I haven't found a good way to permanently repair them.

I have to agree w thrifty bill on the ac install.....it may not "travel" well.
That ac unit may be a potential water leak, you might want to get some close up pics on just how he sealed it up.

Good luck on your purchase!
post some clear photos of the windows latches and frame. That way I can take a look and see what possible options there are for repairing and reinforcing them.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
KC,
Here's the original style latches on the awning windows. The latch arm & pivot actually go thru a hole in the window frame so the dimensions on both parts are very critical.

The latches fail where the pivot attaches to the window pane. They riveted the aluminum pivot to the aluminum pane with a steel rivet from the inside of the pane channel (before the plexiglass & spline are installed into the channel). The rivet head breaks off & the pivot/latch arm are typically lost.

I have been able to reproduce the latch arm & pivot mount but the stumbling block has been attaching the pivot to the window pane. To remove/replace the broken rivet you'll have to disassemble the window pane...2 halves of aluminum channel riveted together that hold the spline/plexiglass together. Not what I really wanted to do.

I've tried to drill out the broken rivet thinking a pop rivet would work but it's a no go on drilling them, they appear to be made out of a hardened steel. I've tried gluing them on w/at least 6 different types of epoxy ranging from JB Weld to an alleged Aircraft epoxy designed for aluminum aircraft use. So far all have failed on one or more of the 4 windows I've repaired.

Any suggestions on attachment of the pivot?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181220_144557710.jpg   IMG_20181220_144628788.jpg  

IMG_20181220_144740929.jpg   IMG_20181220_144814406.jpg  

SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote