ISO grizzly-proof adventure pod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Name: Johanna
Trailer: Searching for Burro (I think)
Wyoming
ISO grizzly-proof adventure pod

Hi, I'm searching for a Burro. I think. Or a widebody Burro. Or ... something light enough to tow easily with my 2007 V6 Rav4 (max 3,500 I think although I need to look at the capacity in the manual). Other considerations: tall and wide enough to somewhat accommodate my 6-3 husband.

Long story long ... I owned a 1967 Airstream Safari from 2006 to 2012. I had to sell it but have missed it ever since. It was too big to tow most places, I needed a bigger truck to do it and having a kid was a huge project that occupied me for a while. There's no way I can afford to get back into an Airstream.

I haven't backpacked in a long time because people are not at the top of the food chain in Wyoming. Oh, and I got spoiled with bed and pillow and being 90 percent packed for camping at any point. And now there is 7-year-old and husband and 35-pound pitbull pug. But in addition to family softball tournaments, there will be plenty of girl camping mountain biking trips and just introducing my daughter to the woods.

My mother died this spring without ever making it to see the California redwood trees and I'm determined to use my tiny, tiny inheritance -- so tiny I'm not sure it even qualifies to use that word -- to explore and camp and suck the marrow out of life with frequent trips in the Wyo-Mont-Idaho-Utah region.

Bathroom is not necessary and maybe even not desirable because of how much freezing weather there is in WY. Porta-potty would be fine.

Big bed is great. A secondary bed is necessary for the kiddo. I think 16 feet is max length I want. I ruled out any elderly 13-foot Scamps after seeing how narrow and short my friend's one is inside.

Lastly, I am pretty allergic to mold, dust, etc., which is one of the things that led me away from any stick-built canned hams and into the directions of a fiberglass RV. I worry that carpet would carry too many allergens.

My budget is definitely less than $10k, but $4-6k would be better. I've got a trip planned to northern California in 2 weeks to see the trees for my mom, but I've already bought an airline ticket and plan to car camp unless a trailer magically appears and wants to follow me home.

If finding the perfect trailer takes until September or October or even March, that's OK. I don't want to rush this decision since I hope to have it for a decade. I've been stalking campgrounds and our local RV park looking for doors to knock on so I can peek inside.

I'm already learning a lot as I dig through the forums. Thanks in advance for advice or suggestions!
Jo in Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:33 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo in Wyo View Post
Hi, I'm searching for a Burro. I think. Or a widebody Burro. Or ... something light enough to tow easily with my 2007 V6 Rav4 (max 3,500 I think although I need to look at the capacity in the manual). Other considerations: tall and wide enough to somewhat accommodate my 6-3 husband.

Long story long ... I owned a 1967 Airstream Safari from 2006 to 2012. I had to sell it but have missed it ever since. It was too big to tow most places, I needed a bigger truck to do it and having a kid was a huge project that occupied me for a while. There's no way I can afford to get back into an Airstream.

I haven't backpacked in a long time because people are not at the top of the food chain in Wyoming. Oh, and I got spoiled with bed and pillow and being 90 percent packed for camping at any point. And now there is 7-year-old and husband and 35-pound pitbull pug. But in addition to family softball tournaments, there will be plenty of girl camping mountain biking trips and just introducing my daughter to the woods.

My mother died this spring without ever making it to see the California redwood trees and I'm determined to use my tiny, tiny inheritance -- so tiny I'm not sure it even qualifies to use that word -- to explore and camp and suck the marrow out of life with frequent trips in the Wyo-Mont-Idaho-Utah region.

Bathroom is not necessary and maybe even not desirable because of how much freezing weather there is in WY. Porta-potty would be fine.

Big bed is great. A secondary bed is necessary for the kiddo. I think 16 feet is max length I want. I ruled out any elderly 13-foot Scamps after seeing how narrow and short my friend's one is inside.

Lastly, I am pretty allergic to mold, dust, etc., which is one of the things that led me away from any stick-built canned hams and into the directions of a fiberglass RV. I worry that carpet would carry too many allergens.

My budget is definitely less than $10k, but $4-6k would be better. I've got a trip planned to northern California in 2 weeks to see the trees for my mom, but I've already bought an airline ticket and plan to car camp unless a trailer magically appears and wants to follow me home.

If finding the perfect trailer takes until September or October or even March, that's OK. I don't want to rush this decision since I hope to have it for a decade. I've been stalking campgrounds and our local RV park looking for doors to knock on so I can peek inside.

I'm already learning a lot as I dig through the forums. Thanks in advance for advice or suggestions!
Welcome to the group. Sorry for your loss but the trip to the redwoods is nice, your Mom will be with you.
Your Rav should be fine for a lot of rigs. A Scamp or Casita 16' with the side dinette would work for sleeping or a front bunk layout. I'm sure other makes offer the sleeping you're looking for also. You may want to go to a FG rally to see many makes and layouts to see what fits your needs best. Do stay away from any 17' Casita as the over all weight and tongue weight is over the Rav's stats. BTW, many 6' plus folks have no problem inside an egg as you pretty much aren't standing in it that often. Biggest thing in any rig is being able to sleep comfortably. Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:15 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo in Wyo View Post

It is good that you are going on the trip to the woods before you buy a trailer. I don't understand why people think a forest is a clean or allergen free place, it is millions of times worse for allergens than a dusty carpet.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Grizzly Proof? After seeing pictures of a car with the door torn off because someone left a candy bar on the front seat, I dont think there is a trailer that is bear proof. Using the bear proof food bins is highly recommended. Enjoy the big trees . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wanna see a bunch of different brands? Johanna the Oregon Coast Gathering is July 21-24, 2016 at Bullard's Beach State Park in Bandon, Oregon.... which is on the Southern Oregon coast.

Check a map, check the timing and if it works out... come on up for a visit. Truly seeing as many brands and sizes as you can is the best way to determine what may work best for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I second the rally idea--we happened to find one a few months ago, and it was really helpful to see several different makes and models in one day, without the pressure of a potential seller hanging around. And most FGRV owners are more than happy to tell you everything you'd like to know about their rigs!
Old 07-12-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

Wyoming
Yes, bear aware, woods savvy

Thank you for all your excellent points.

Sleeping comfort is really where it's at. Navigating the forums is a bit complex for the newbie so I'd love a direct link to the table-in-progress I noticed comparing bed sizes.

I realize fiberglass trailers are not technically grizzly proof. Just the delightful sound of claws scratching on fiberglass might give me more warning to whip out the bear spray than the claws slicing through the tent. It's more of a psychological barrier than a physical one. Not having to drug myself to sleep out of bear anxiety would be a bonus.

I hike and mountain bike a couple times each week among the allergens in the woods, and I've been on immunotherapy shots for four years too. Sagebrush, cottonwoods, grasses, oh my! There's just no need to exacerbate my issues with the sleeping environment. I briefly had a 1950s canned ham with a musty smell and significant mold that bothered my asthma, so I had to move it down the road.

I'd love to come to the rally, but the July one doesn't quite fit the schedule for now. Maybe I could hit one in the fall.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure the regular 13' Burros are really any larger than older Scamps, etc. Maybe a little taller inside (as are newer Scamps, 2007+), but the same smallish main bed, 45"x76", or thereabouts. By most accounts, bed size is more important than ceiling height for tall people. No one wants to sleep for 8 hours with their knees bent!

Given all you've said, a Burro wide-body is a good call, but you will need all that patience you said you possessed to snag one. They're pretty rare.

Visiting a fiberglass egg rally sounds better than prowling around local campgrounds. The latter may lead to some awkward questions, but the former is more likely to get you invited in for a tour!

Happy hunting!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Check out the For Sale posts and folder here! We sold our little beloved Scamp 13 Standard in 4 days! So know what you want first. We found it on eBay and bought before seeing in Alabama . She was all they advertised-- but dirty, smelly from cigs and we had to rewire the lighting harness! But we made it home to Texas during daylight hours. Much elbow grease later and she was camping ready the next month! One nice thing about Scamps is not much has changed and new parts fit an older Scamp fine! We did have the terrible cushions professionally cleaned! They had to do it four times before the machine was returning clean solution! We loved our 1985 as it had "elephant hide" insulation which I thoroughly washed with vinegar water! Look for such a model as later ones have a carpet like interior. Let us all know when you've found your baby! Older Scamps look as good as new after a wash and wax so don't be afraid of an older model!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #10

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
If you're coming west, this one might be a possibility: 1993 B17'CB Bigfoot Travel Trailer for Sale $10,500 Southern Oregon | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

I love the Bigfoot trailers, although I'm not sure how much this one weighs. Others here might be able to advise!

(Also, I think they are a bit more durable in cold weather than some of the others such as Casita and Scamp)

Sorry for the loss of your mom. I hope you enjoy the redwoods!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
This thread has a link to a google map of FGRV rally's. Shows dates. It is a good way to scope out the different models and brands if you can find one locally or someplace you can talk yourself into visiting. Those cousins you have not seen in ages or some in-laws who just happen to live close to a rally.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aps-72281.html

Lot of information on weights as loaded for use in this thread. Real world not sales brochure weights http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Might be able to use as a filter based on your tow capacity, remember you are going to want 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch and that weight counts toward the gross vehicle weight. Counts the same on hitch or as passengers / luggage inside vehicle.

In addition to the for sale forum here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f53/ you might check out Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale if nothing else browse the listings to get a good feel for what you should expect for a camper within your price range.

I think Casita may have a 15 foot that might be a candidate but you would have to check the weight and floor plan, bed size etc. to decide if it was a good fit.

Last but not least the Search located in the top bar expands and has a Google site search as one of the expanded items, the Google site search works much better than the default search to find forum posts and threads on a topic of interest such as beds or head room.

I will say I am 6'1" and over 220# and just fit the bed length of an older scamp bed. My wife sleeps curled up a bit anyway so she fits into the curved back but she is petite too. As in I am twice the man she is by weight, volume, or shoe size. Ok not exactly 2x shoe size but real close.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Older scamps do have a tough vinyl foam inside liner which can be cleaned as someone noted above. Nicknamed "elephant hide" to differentiate it from the later synthetic felt like cloth liner know as "rat fur".

Get them clean, get them leak free, keep them dry and mold or mildew should not be an issue but on an older one that can take a bit of persistence to accomplish but I can't imagine an interior less inclined toward allergens if you can get it there.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #13

Wyoming
Update: Found my Burro 13, we will see how the husband does, or if it's mostly a girl pod. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Hooray! Happy camping.

As was said previously, no trailer is bear proof. A grizzly can make short work of a trailer door... or a car door, for that matter. But it's much more comforting to be in an enclosed trailer than in a tent or popup. Be sure to keep all coolers out of sight.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote