It's finally time! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
brian

I suggest you look at a 16f scamp a good trailer they can be had very reasonably there are some here they will offer what they can.

I am did I say frugal some think I am cheap. we paid 5k for our 13f do not get into a rush did I say that.

values are out there consider used mine is a 95 as my father-in-law said poor people have poor ways. I wish I had paid attention to him way back when!

What a man!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #22
rad

Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Was a Bigfoot 17 on Craigslist in St. George, Utah.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #23

Missouri
brian 2 guys I consider experts on Scampers are Floyd and Jon both great guys they can help steer you.

For starters its not what you pay but what fun you can have. load up with debt or spend too much its not fun! I have a beer budget on a champagne tastes at times. I have to curb that!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Brian, finding a true four-season, molded fiberglass trailer with a $10K budget is going to be hard. Bigfoot and Oliver are the only manufacturers that offer the full package: thermal windows, extra insulation, and enclosed, heated plumbing. All the others are three-season at best.

Pretty much any trailer with a furnace is good down to the mid-thirties and, with some attention to plumbing, can withstand occasional dips into freezing temperatures. Any trailer can also be used dry (plumbing drained and winterized) as a winter shelter.

Bigfoots- the older three-season models- have a little more insulation than run-of-the-mill Scamps and Casitas and might be a better choice. But none of them are well-suited for extended below-freezing conditions. It'll be a constant battle to keep the plumbing going, and you'll burn through a lot of propane. Condensation can also be a problem, leading to mold and rot.

You might also look at some non-molded options. They generally depreciate much faster so it might be possible to find a four-season unit within your budget.

But that raises the question: why a four-season trailer? How are you planning to use the trailer: when, where, and for how long? Isn't the whole point of a travel trailer to get out of winter?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #25

Name: Brian & Liz
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Indiana
Jon,

My thoughts were that 4 season would provide greater all around insulation which would mean less energy used to cool and heat when needed. But perhaps the space is so small that it doesn't make much difference. We've no plans to camp in winter, well, at least not on purpose.
Brian in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #26

Name: Brian & Liz
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Indiana
Bob,

We have worked really hard to eliminate all consumer debt and avoid that black hole at all costs. It's easy for me to get love bubbles in my eyes for pretty things but it all gets pretty clear when the checkbook comes out, that's for sure. Lizzie always says, "Simmer down now", ha!
Brian in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Four season trailers are more efficient to heat and cool, you're right, but they're also generally much heavier to tow, negating some the advantage in the bigger picture.

Letting go of that requirement opens up a lot more options within your budget. The strong resale value of molded fiberglass means you can start small and work your way up without taking a big hit each time you buy and sell. With good timing, careful pre-purchase inspection, regular maintenance, and well-chosen but inexpensive upgrades, it's possible to break even or even turn a small profit on resale.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #28

Missouri
things

I have friends and relatives that have the latest Cadilacs I love those things but I will not fork out my hard earned money for them. thye are not rich they continue to trade up I cant stand it but good for them!

I drive 2 one is a 2002 with 150k on it somehow I sold a Cadilac and got a 2005 with low miles on it this was 4 years ago. it is the top of the line for that time with many gadgets on it a beautifue green color I have never seen!

It now has 69k on it it will outlast me!

whatever floats your boat!!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #29

Missouri
brian if you are going to hook up at a campground the el use is on them!

bob