It's time for an intro and our story. Pls pardon our delay.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
It's time for an intro and our story. Pls pardon our delay....

Hi, we are Mike & Ellen from West Michigan. We found our 1988 17' Liberty Van Companion on Craigslist in Sept. 2010 priced at $2,200.

We are in our early 50's and were ready to "graduate" from tent camping.

We knew nothing about the world of fiberglass or travel trailers for that matter; we just thought that this trailer was too stinkin cute to pass up. P.O. had let this trailer sit out in the elements for years, and there were some "hidden issues" (we soon discovered). To us this trailer had good interior and exterior bones and desperately needed a good cleaning and some TLC!!

Long long story short, our "Baby's" issues we discovered thru trial & error, were mainly from a leaking belly band and leaking front & back windows. "Leaking" was not even a question we thought to ask the P.O. (duh) That fall the DH replaced rotted wood inside the walls under the front & back windows and also patched various holes with bondo & fiberglass. We were thrown into the "world of fiberglass" and luckily got good repair and spot paint advise from local f-glass repair shops we found in the phone book.

Finally satisfied there were no more leaks DH pumped 3 tubes of silicone caulk onto every single external seam there was! We then closed Baby up, winterized her, and sent her off to storage for the winter. We were such happy campers and ready for next Springtime. Then I stumbled upon this website and realized the GEM that we had found! Then I discovered the thread regarding silicone caulk. "Oh NO, what have we done? Poor DH was in complete denial for several months. We were no longer happy campers.

Needless to say, DH came to his senses and our Spring was spent removing all (ours & P.O.'s) silicone caulk and residue. We removed every window and every external attached part and applied butyl tape and 3M marine caulk; our 2 new "best friends".

We finished just in time for the Memorial Day w-end year 2011 to take Baby on our maiden voyage. We were 2 happy peas in our pod! We camped 5 times total last year and kept ourselves very busy w/general maintenance matters and various upgrades to give Baby our own personal style and to make her feel like our home away from home.

I am so thankful that I found all of you wonderful people with your never ending generosity in sharing your wisdom and collective knowledge. You have educated us and have been our inspiration and motivation (especially when we wanted to throw in the towel) to make our Baby the best she can be.

We are hoping for at least 8 trips out this camping season and lots of new memories, people, and adventures to experience.

Our first trip out will be this weekend to Muskegon State Park (in Muskegon MI). Stop on by if you are in the area!

We are in total and true love with Baby. She owns our blood, sweat, tears, and respect. We would not trade her for the world. She is our little Cabin-On-Wheels. Here she is.......................
Attached Thumbnails
2012_0429Image0012.jpg   2012_0429Image0013.jpg  

2012_0429Image0014.jpg   2012_0429Image0015.jpg  

2012_0429Image0016.jpg   2012_0429Image0019.jpg  

2012_0429Image0024.jpg   2012_0429Image0027.jpg  

2012_0429Image0028.jpg   2012_0429Image0029.jpg  

Mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mike and Ellen, welcome to FiberglassRV! and thanks so much for posting the pictures. The Liberty Van Companion is a bit orphaned, as far as how many members we have that own them.... so, we're really glad you're here!

Here's our Liberty Van Companion album... looks like we'll need to add some new pictures! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...-albums76.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Welcome folks. Looks good. You made it yours!
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
She's adorable! Congrats! And Welcome.............

The second I saw the word, Silicone I thought OH NO! LOL, there are so many that cringe when the word comes up. But since I have never had to replace the chaulk its not been an issue but I know from reading here that the word silicone can get you 10 to life! Glad you caught it before it became a problem.

And just know that all the hard work you guys have done on your trailer will pay off for many years to come...... Now get out there and enjoy it. You have a special lil trailer there, thanks for posting pic's!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
She's a real looker! I hope you get to spend plenty of time camping in her.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #6

Michigan
Registry
Thanks all for the welcome!
Now that I did my official first post, after 1.5 years of lurking I officially feel like part of the group
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #7

Michigan
Registry
Thx Donna for pointing out the album. Trust-you-me, I have studied that album numerous times!!
We would love to have our pix added to the album. BTW Who does the album maintenance?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikell View Post
Thx Donna for pointing out the album. Trust-you-me, I have studied that album numerous times!!
We would love to have our pix added to the album. BTW Who does the album maintenance?
Mikell, I think the old album software is broken, nothing new being added. BUT, you can add picture to the Trailer Registry through your User CP.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
its a beauty, we are over in southeastern michigan, hope to see you out there some time. going to be at southhaven the 10th 11th and 12th with our scamp and two grand children
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Gorgeous! Like Donna said, we don't see many Liberty Van Companions. We are SO glad you're here!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote