I've found my Bigfoot! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #15

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Franswa, Florida has some BIG rolling hills from Lake Wales to Clermont/Howie in the Hills. East to Cassedega too. ;-)

Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft
Fraser Valley
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
Franswa, your 17 looks alot like our old '98. Wheels n all.
Actually, I was thinking Franswa's looked a lot like my '98 (still recognize her mike_bc?)
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 05-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #17

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Congratulations!
Welcome to the world of Bigfoot.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #18

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A great find. Almost identical to mine except for the nice, pleated shades.
Well done.

Walt
Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #19

Name: ChrisAnn
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17CB
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
Yay!! Congrats!! You sure you don't want to just buy a TV in PDX and tow it home? Would be a hell of a road trip
I like to take my time finding exactly what I want, for this it will be a van. Also I don't have the time to find something and learn how to be a confident driver of a towed travel trailer and get back home. To many work commitments between now and the end of the year, and there is no way I am hauling it back to Fl in the winter. If it ends up being to expensive to have shipped back I will leave it here at a friends til the spring.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #20

Name: larry
Trailer: Casita, but in the market for a bigfoot
Colorado
then there is the seller ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
that's like......"almost NEW" for a Bigfoot.... the last of the 1500 series (second generation) ....how far away did you find it???

Sellers come in varying types..... there's ones that say: "Don't know much about RVs but everything seemed to work for me"....definetely a type you want to avoid.....but 2004 is so young that would't stop me but be careful....then there's the ones that don't know/understand how their RV works but have a PILE of receipts from a shop to show you they have kept on top of everything while they owned it.....better.....if you get lucky you'll hit on a seller for whom the RV was his main hobby and he knows it and it's systems inside out...this kind of owner will probably have made well built, thought out modifications......

if you get it for a "good price".....I'd just buy it without looking at much.....if the price seems "dear" to you I'd do a little digging....a common failure is the power center needing to be replaced...and figure on a new battery if that's the case.....ask seller when's the last time the bearings were repacked / brakes looked at.....open all closets, lockers, under kitchen with a flashlight to look for signs of past leaks....same with all interior wall finishes around windows...

you mentioned AC in a previous post....if the trailer is pre-wired for AC (in a 2004 I'd bet on that) you will probably find a 20A RED breaker on the fuse panel (my 97 has that....somebody replaced the AC with a Fantastic Fan before I got it...and where I live I can see why)

you also mentioned axle/tire replacements.....axles can be flipped to get the body (rear bumper) higher off the ground...below is a picture of mine with a flipped axle and new, beefier springs (extra leaf)...same old tires

you don't say what you'll be towing it with....these trailers weigh 3500 lbs fully loaded for travel and have a lot of "windage" (big wide square frontal area).....a vehicle with a tow rating of 4500-5000 lbs will make for relaxed driving and climb any hills comfortably... (FLA is flat but still...)

last thing...these trailers come out of the factory overweight on the left side (big honkin' fridge, bathroom, black tank, water heater all on that side)...when you load it for travel think "light left, heavy right"

Congrats and good luck, F (1997 B17C
We had a line on a used one. But the seller wouldn't let us get it inspected, wouldn't even take a deposit. I'm glad we didn't get it.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryc View Post
We had a line on a used one. But the seller wouldn't let us get it inspected, wouldn't even take a deposit. I'm glad we didn't get it.
I would have to ask the reason why they would not?

I can see it if the seller has a line up of people waiting to see the trailer and the odds are high to selling to someone fast with no such conditions attached to the purchase.

Funny enough where I live the housing sales are so hot currently that if you where to put any type of condition on your purchase offer - i.e. home inspection or subject to financing etc its a good bet your offer will be tossed in the garbage can unread due to the number of other offers the seller has received without any such conditions.

Market for used trailers is always HOT in the spring time.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #22

Colorado
yes, that was pretty much it, they had another buyer (from out of state) who was willing to buy it sight unseen. The reason they gave was that an inspection wasn't needed. I couldn't tell if everything was working, water, electric, grey and black water, so it would have been a pig in a poke for me.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #23

Colorado
oh, and the housing market is about the same here. Hoping we will be able to sell while things are still hot here.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneR View Post
Actually, I was thinking Franswa's looked a lot like my '98 (still recognize her mike_bc?)
Haha..the penny just dropped pal. Looks way nicer in your custody with a cool checkered flag awning and a lift.

Drop me a PM sometime.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I couldn't tell if everything was working, water, electric, grey and black water, so it would have been a pig in a poke for me.
I always ask before going to see a trailer that they have water in all the tanks, hot water tank turned on, fridge on and propane in at least one tank so I can try switching items running on electrical over to propane.

That way you can be sure things are working. Run the shower, water pump, light the stove etc. Open up the grey water tank and watch the water flow out ;-)

It is what the parties selling me the last two trailers did and what I did when selling the Scamp (unasked). Both parties I have purchased from (out of the Country & sight unseen) took a lot of time to showing me how each item worked including emptying tanks etc. I tried to do the same with the party who purchased from me.

If someone is not willing to even do that then I would pass on the trailer for sure.

If they say it has no propane tank or battery - then bring your own! Although to be honest I do not understand folks who can not be bothered to even replace those items prior to selling. Would make me wonder about what else they could not be bothered with.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
oh, and the housing market is about the same here.

When the housing market is hot its hot!
Hoping we will be able to sell while things are still hot here.

When the trailer market is hot its hot as well!

Listed my Scamp on Craigslist at 9:30PM on a Saturday a few weeks ago. By 11PM had over seven requested to see it the next day. By 9AM Sunday morning had a dozen more request. Trailer sold to the first party who came to see it on Sunday full asking price, with party #2 standing back indicating they would take it if the first party did not.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #27

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Sounds like you got a really nice trailer. That's a nice layout with the couch in the back. Have fun with your new baby! You're gonna love it.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #28

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
Very similar to our 2003 CB. Looks to be in good shape, enjoy, love those 1500 series BFs.

Tags
bigfoot