Jack and Annie from Traverse City, Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Jack and Annie from Traverse City, Michigan

We have been retired for 10 months and still haven't found our camper to travel in. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan to tow with so a lightweight fiberglass is what we need. Is the only choice to buy new? They are so much money! But the inventory on preowned seems nearly nonexsistent! We cannot have a small teardrop because the husband is 6'3''. Are there small companies out there that are a little lower in prices?
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what you mean by inventory being non-existent. If you mean RV dealers, you're pretty much right. Most molded fiberglass trailers change hands on the private market. The classified ads here and on www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com are good places to look, in addition to Craigslist sites within, say, a day's drive.

They are out there, but finding the right one may take a while and involve driving some distance. Prices are higher, reflecting their greater durability and desirability, compared to conventional RVs.

If you provide a bit more information about what you're looking for in terms of size, features, condition, and budget, as well as any weight considerations related to your tow vehicle, I'm sure you'll get some suggestions about what to look for.

I, too, thought my first used fiberglass trailer was a bit pricey given its size and lack of features. Now, three years later, I laugh. It's the only piece of recreational equipment I have ever owned that has appreciated in value since I bought it. A pity, too, because I don't want to sell. .
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

Michigan
My fiberglass search

Thank you Jon for responding. I have been looking for the used ones but they go so fast. I am in a small resort town in Northern Michigan with no big cities around. The Egg is the closest factory geographically, I think but I found they are electric only and I want the choice of propane/electricity. ( Too bad since it was my favorite in looks.) Probably a 13' would be the best for towing with a Caravan but a little longer would be nice. I definitely want a bathroom. I will keep looking. We will be in Florida for a month in February. I have a feeling I will find one there. Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

Name: Diana
Trailer: 16' Casita
Michigan
Hi, Keep Looking. I am from an even smaller town in N. Michigan. It took many months of looking and many near misses and" no" call backs but I got one on E-Bay. I had to drive to Chicago but I am thrilled to have my 16' Casita. It was all worth it. Di
Di in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #5

Name: Nancy & Dan
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
Hi Annie, we are also from MI. Used fiberglass is hard to come by, but not impossible. We found ours in Claire after about a years search. I don't think that's too bad😝! Your best bet is right here on this site. I too love the Egg Camper. Enjoy the hunt!
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Hi Jack & Annie,

Welcome! I would suggest a Casita--we love ours. You could try the Casita.com site-they list Casita for sale. Our son lives in Traverse City...We lucked out--not even looking for a camper and found our Casita chained to a tree with a for sale sign which was quite strange since I had never seen it before and our little town in Ohio-- has one red light and 400 people. Keep looking. Used ones are hard to find and they have about a 1 year wait on new ones at their factory in Rice TX where you have to go.
Joy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Just stay patient and keep checking the ads daily. Between the FG-RV-4-Sale site which Jon linked to, plus this site, and Craigslist, you should be able to stay on top of what's available in the preowned market. If you see something promising, call on it quickly.

Have you seen this one, just a bit south of you? http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/rvs/5275203853.html
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #8

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
After what seemed like forever,,,I drove to Colorado to get mine... In February! I probably could have gotten a better deal if I had waited, but I'm not unhappy with what I have. If you read my original newbee post, I first pulled with a '93 Caravan. They tow like they are not even there! Good Luck!
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jack and Annie from Traverse City, Michigan

I just caught the bit about your husband's height… no doubt that's why you were looking at the EggCamper. Here's some data that may affect your search:

Casita 13 and Casita 16
interior height 5'10"
main bed size 45"x76"
(except Liberty, size unknown, but it's bigger)
Scamp 13 (2006 and earlier)
interior height 5'11"
main bed size standard 45"x76"
main bed size deluxe 54"x76"
Scamp 13 (2007 and newer)
interior height 6'2"
(starting 2014 larger bed option also available on standard)
Scamp 16
interior height 6'2"

I didn't include Casita 17 models because, with an average loaded weight of 3300 pounds and an average tongue weight of 425 pounds, they are probably too heavy for your van.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Hello from natives of Flint. If you contact EGG factory, I believe that they will set up a unit to be propane ready, and arrangements made with a nearby company to complete the propane hook ups.
Good Luck in your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We got to spend some time in a newer Scamp 13 a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and were amazed at the headroom and overall roomy feeling of it.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here. Usually right about now is a great time to buy a camper. I'd keep an eye on CL.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We got to spend some time in a newer Scamp 13 a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and were amazed at the headroom and overall roomy feeling of it.
Yeah, I just got my older Scamp 13, so it is smaller than the newer ones, but I am still amazed how much roomier it seems on the inside. You sit in it a while, then get out and look at it, and you wonder. Reminds me of the tent in Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire (at the World Cup Quidditch Tournament).
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #14

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Hi Anne,

Most folks have already said it all.

However I will toss in my nickels worth.

Like you we had weight issues on max we could tow with an older 2006 Ford Freestyle with the then "cutting edge" constant velocity transmission. A normal automatic tow limit is nearly 1,000 lbs more.

So with the limited max towing of 2,100 lbs and tongue weight no more than 300 lbs, we looked at FB trailers.

We are in Central Mi. and searched for a used FBT for about a year and each we found was gone within hours of seeing an add. As they really hold their value, we found that if they were < 5 years old the prices were only a few $K less that new ones. We settled on a 16' Scamp, as new provided warranty etc. for not a whole lot more that a used one that may or may not have been 100%.
Although virtually all we have seen on the road are very well cared for.

Scamp is in Minn. so you can either take the ferry across to Minn. and drive back via the U.P. (great trip last year in October) or do U.P both directions.

Since Oct 2014 we have put likely 7,500 miles on it with a quasi full time stint Jan-April this year working on a bat project in So. California. Followed by national park trips like Death Valley thanks to Byron (a member here). Then a U.P trip and stay at Copper Harbor, a circle trip to Petoskey then across state to Huron and south along the east coast. Recently we completed another 3K mile trip to Florida for another bat project in September with a stay in W.V. on the way back.

We are still working and not ready to part with our yet. Yep, as you will gather from this forum nearly all of us are having way too much fun with them.

We are now trying to figure out where to go to escape Mi. winter.

You are welcome to come down to look at ours if you like to get an idea up close and personal.

Cheers,

Bat Dude
Old 11-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #15

Name: Philip
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
To;
Jack & Annie from Travers City,
I have a nice 2013 Scamp 16 ft trailer,lightly used by 2 old folks. It has front bathroom ,shower,sink,& waterheater. Shower & water heater never used.Side dinette , rear bed. Oversize tires, 3 way fridge,double propane tanks. New better quality sewer hose , rear bike carry hitch,heavy duty battery & maybe more! I will sell to you for 12,000. firm. I live about 4 hrs. south of you in Lapeer County.If you message me here I will give you my email or whatever way u want to do it. It is winterized at this time & ready to go otherwise.
Philip Michigan.
Philip Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #16

Michigan
Hi Bat Dude, We really enjoyed your letter. We are going to be in Midland for a few days tomorrow and wonder if you are in that area? It seams like it wouldn't be too far from Central Mi. We would love to see your camper if we could. Let me know or call Jack @ 231-392-1902. I cannot be trusted to know where my phone is or keep it charged. We don't have much of a schedule for the next few days while we are there. Again, Thanks! Jack and Annie Myette
Old 11-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #17

Michigan
I won't be sleeping tonight!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #18

Name: Philip
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Not sure how to work this site ! I am Philip from Michigan & I have a message for Jack & Annie from traverse City but not sure how to get it where they can see it ! I have a Scamp 16 ft. I will sell you for 12 ,000............
Maybe this will work.......

Philip
Philip Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote