Jennifer Shonafelt - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
California
Jennifer Shonafelt

Hi All,

I'm a newbie and just started shopping. My hubby, John and I decided that a lightweight fiberglass is the way to go now that we have a little (he's 8 mo).

My husband traveled for almost a year when he was little with his younger sister and brother in a Traveleeze (sp.) when his parents were on a sabbatical. He has fond memories and lots of Kodachrome slides.

We have an FJ Cruiser for towing and a love for the high desert of CA east of the Sierras. We have been trying to figure out what we want but there aren't that many for sale in SoCal. We know we want a trailer that is 17' or smaller with a toilet, a heater, and a layout where the bed doesn't feel too cramped. I tend to get a little claustrophobic and the baby will need to squeeze in. We have small nest egg (pun completely intended) for a good condition used trailer.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome. I'll be poking around for a while.

Jen
Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome and good luck finding your perfect memory maker.

This for sale thread in the forum is worth keeping a close eye on. They go fast when they are a good deal.
For Sale: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers - Fiberglass RV
And this site.
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

You sound like you have your requirements figured out, always a good first step. You might find it useful to check out the floor plans from some trailers currently in production. Some of these have been offered for a long time so may be available in the used market and it allows you to ask how other campers compare to specific well known floor plans.
Showroom - Scamp Trailers
Casita Travel Trailers - Our Showroom | The Patriot, Spirit Deluxe, Freedom Deluxe, Liberty Deluxe | Call 800-442-9986

Some people that have a front bunk/ couch layout have built some nice rails to create a toddler safe bed up front. Todays 8mo old is going to get bigger in the future.

Wife myself and a 40 lb. dog only fit in the bed of our 1977 Scamp 13 because the dog sleeps down by my wife's feet. Probably not viable for a small human. I do think the beds may have gotten a little larger in the later versions but am not sure.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
As an aside having recently started scanning old photos and slides as a project there is a pretty easy way to fix the red shift that takes place in old Kodachrome slides, nice winter project to preserve those images for the little one.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jen to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There's lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums, you'll get all kinds of suggestions.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Akhhhhh... Kodachrome.... it give you the nice bright pictures.
I worked for Kodak for over 10 years, hoodathunk it would have gone down the way it has??? Took a huge hit on my retirement funds along the way...

Back to your request... Based on your comments I suggest that you ferget a 13'er. With the bathroom they are all very tight and with 2 adults, and a growing family, claustrophobia would be the rule of the day. Been dare, done dat....

Your TV can easily tow most of the 16 & 17 foot variety. My fav is the single axle, 17' BigFoot, others will differ. Keep a close eye here for FGRV's for sale nearby:

<<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>>>

BTW: Selling prices in CA are always High, it can be cheaper to travel and pick up in the midwest etc.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
another source of used f/g trailers for sale- several of Escape owners pull with FJ Cruiser, myself included Escape RVs for Sale and Wanted - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #7

California
Thanks for the quick responses. I will study some floor plans. I wasn't sure how close they would be to older versions but it makes sense to get to know them and ask here .

RogerDat, I agree about the front space for the toddler so when he's a little bigger he will want his own area that is something I found appealing about the Burro we saw week before last.

I hadn't considered looking much outside of CA except maybe Arizona or Nevada if near the border. I would be worried to travel all that way and then find that it didn't feel right in person. Is there a way to get to know local owners so you can see some in person first? Like a meet up group?

I hadn't seen the Escape forum so thanks for that link. I did just buy Craiglist app for my phone and have to say that I'm happy I did because it saves searches and then notifies you when a new item pops up.

Jen
Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #8

You might mention where abouts you live in CA and if you have interests in a particular model, then someone near you may be able to offer a Show and tell. We would, but I don't think that any of the three we have in our current fleet would be of interest.

Again, by limiting yourself to CA, you will get the opportunity to pay a higher price, we know because we have sold two 13'ers in the last 12 months for prices that are embarassing to mention. CA prices are at least a 25% premium over most other areas.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

California
Thanks Bob Miller. We live in Simi Valley which just north of LA in Ventura county. Looks like there's a rally coming up at Lake Casitas.

We have seen a Burro and are interested in Scamp 16' Standard or Deluxe, Casita Liberty or Spirit, Escape 17' plan B, or iCamp Elite. Also possibly a Park Liner although I doubt those would be available used.

Thanks,
Jen
Old 08-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Welcome Jennifer,
In addition to what Roger said, you can keep your eye on the referals here:
Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers - Fiberglass RV

Since you mentioned an Escape 17B, here are two more to check in on regularily:
Escape Trailer Industries > Home
Escape RVs for Sale and Wanted - Escape Trailer Owners Community

There are similar sites for Casita, Scamp and Bigfoot owners. You might like the 17' Bigfoot. Good luck in your search. Make sure you get a copy of the Buyers Checklist here in the document center. It's worth its weight in gold.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

We went to the Lake Casitas Ralley last year. You will get to see a LOT of Casita's and some of the others, it's well worth the trip. There is usually one mornng/day for Open House and everyone is invited to look inside all the rigs.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Wow, I just found one more link to various owners groups.
Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer Forums - Owners Groups | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Hats off to Greg A, he thinks of everything. We have some wonderful members here.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the forum Jennifer. Hope you find the right one for your family.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
welcome / your neighbors from Thousand Oaks,ca

My wife and I live in thousand oaks,ca...right off the 23 fwy. we have a 13 perris pacer . if you would like to stop and check out the size of a 13 ft trailer we would be more than happy to show you ours.
I sent you a PM with our cell number
Alan & Cindy

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #15

California
We done did it. Just bought a 2008 Scamp. Woo hoo! We can't wait to take it out. We are already chomping at the bit to take it to the Owens Valley. I think we will start with an overnighter at one of the local beach camps. Easier to work out kinks if we aren't far from home.

I spotted a link to videos and I need to do a little shopping to personalize it.

😍
Jen
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Comgradulations! Hope you enjoy your new Adventures!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSho View Post
We done did it. Just bought a 2008 Scamp. Woo hoo! We can't wait to take it out. We are already chomping at the bit to take it to the Owens Valley. I think we will start with an overnighter at one of the local beach camps. Easier to work out kinks if we aren't far from home.

I spotted a link to videos and I need to do a little shopping to personalize it.

��
Jen
Yippee, Jen! congrats on the new baby! You can now change your status from 'shopping' to 'owner' of a Scamp!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our first camping trip was in the front yard; our second was 3 miles away in a state park.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote