jon and louise new to the FRB camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
jon and louise new to the FRB camping

Hello everyone.
My wife, Louise, otherwise known as Skip, and I purchased a pre-loved 2013 Casita SD this past December. We have always done tent camping but have decided we (actually me) would rather have a firm mattress and a dry roof over out heads at night. Since we retired a couple years ago, we are ready to spend more time out in the woods rather than mowing and gardening. Spending FRV time in a warm southern campground in the winter rather than at home in cold/damp southern IL or southwest MO is certainly in our future. Looking forward to no snow and warmer winters!! For months I have been following the forum and am amazed at how welcoming and helpful everyone is. What a great group! We look forward to meeting other FRV'ers soon.

I will be asking questions, so be ready!

jon and Louis (aka Skip)
jon carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
jon and louise new to the FRB camping

Welcome, Jon and Skip!

I, too, did a fair bit of tent camping, but with the aches and creaks of age, I not only enjoy a mattress under my back but also not having to climb up off the ground in the morning. And when the wind howls and the rain pours, a molded fiberglass egg is a sweet refuge!

Happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
We retired last October and have been fulltiming since. We picked a great winter to head south! Can't express how relaxing, yet invigorating, our travels have been. We are spending an enjoyable summer north catching up with friends and family, yet already anxious for our descent to the south after Labor Day.
Enjoy!!
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We started heading south for winter about 6 years ago. A couple things we discovered right away. It's not that expensive if go to the National Parks and use the geezer pass. The cost of heating the anchored house and the cost of gas to travel south in the winter are pretty close to the same.
The people you meet and see over and over again are great. The people were the surprise to me.
The sunny and warmer weather are great and relaxing. Even 65° weather seems warm.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Thank you Jon, Eileen and Byron for the warm introductions. We have spent just five weeks in FL this past winter but plan to make this winter trip somewhat longer so we can avoid the winter blues in the mid-west. From what we have experienced the National parks are a lot less crowded and generally have more secluded campsites than the state parks.

Hope we can meet up with all of you sometime.
jon
jon carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote