Just bought a 76 Trillium 1300! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Name: Lionel
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300 pulled by a 2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Ontario
Registry
Just bought a 76 Trillium 1300!

And the restoration has begun. Lots of work to do but looking forward to getting it done and hope I don't annoy everyone because I will likely have a thousand questions!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0036.jpeg  
LionelAucoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #2

Name: Barry and Kathy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Congrats!!

Hey, way to go with your purchase. Hope it is in good shape inside and out.
Love to see more pics.
BuzzBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBunny View Post
Hey, way to go with your purchase. Hope it is in good shape inside and out.
Love to see more pics.
Thanks BuzzBunny! Outside is pretty good, frame is great...inside will be a big project. Lots of cleaning, new electrical, new appliances, etc. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
KitchenUnit.jpeg   Cabinet&Floor.jpeg  

Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

Name: dan
Trailer: cadet
Ontario
good luck...I myself am looking for one..how long did it take to find one and was this site helpful?
danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #5

Name: Barry and Kathy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Inside

Can't wait to see what you are going to replace the old appliances with.
Will you be cooking inside?

On a side note, it took us a month of seriously looking, bought the 3rd one we looked at.
BuzzBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmar View Post
good luck...I myself am looking for one..how long did it take to find one and was this site helpful?
It took me about a month to find this one, and a 4 1/2 hour drive each way to pick it up. I couldn't even feel it behind my jeep! Found it on Kijiji, but this site was great to figure out what to look for, and know what would be an easy fix as opposed to major. I am taking lots of pictures and will post our progress as we go.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Initial plan is to replace the bar sink but with only 1 tap for city water and remove the fresh water tank for more storage, replace the propane stove with a new one, install a bar fridge where the old one was, and hopefully replace the furnace with a small portable AC unit, venting out where the old furnace vented.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #8

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Welcome, I too own a 76 Trillium same color. Check your window sealant, if it is original and has never been replaced. You will want to do this soon . Waking up on a wet bed is not a great way to start your day ! A repair info sheet was issued for cracks in the right frame rail at the front corner ahead of the door. If repaired already a re-inforcement plate would have been welded on the sides in that area to fix this problem. Enjoy your "new" home on wheels. Be safe!
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What do you plan to do with the old fridge, furnace, and converter? Does it have a converter? There is something on the floor, in front of where it would be.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
What do you plan to do with the old fridge, furnace, and converter? Does it have a converter? There is something on the floor, in front of where it would be.
Hi David, unfortunately the previous owner had started the demo so when I picked it up half the furnace had been removed and thrown away, along with the fridge door. Haven't found the converter yet. Is that what the hole below the furnace was for? The thing on the floor is a small AC unit. Wont be using that so will find someone who needs one.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #11

Alberta
Registry
If the hole is small, then it was for a breaker. If something like 12" wide and 5" tall, then a converter.

Sad that the furnace can't be saved. I like gravity furnaces. No power required. What is missing? The outside vent?
ON EDIT: Oh, I see, no gas valve, or pilot assembly. If the exterior exhaust / intake vent pulls out, there still may be someone, (maybe me) who would be interested in it. But if it is rusted together, so that it no longer slides, then there is nothing worth saving.
The fridge is actually not too hard to find on kijiji. Sometimes for free.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
If the hole is small, then it was for a breaker. If something like 12" wide and 5" tall, then a converter.

Sad that the furnace can't be saved. I like gravity furnaces. No power required. What is missing? The outside vent?
The fridge is actually not too hard to find on kijiji. Sometimes for free.
5 x 12 is about right so I guess that is long gone as well. Yet another hole to creatively fill. :-) I will likely be expanding the furnace hole anyways to fit the portable AC.

I will be starting the removal of whatever is left of the furnace and fridge tomorrow and will post pictures. Might be of use to someone.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #13

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium 13' 1976
Ontario
Registry
There is a wiring diagram in the documents section for the 1300. We have been working on ours for about two months and took it out camping just this last week...was great.
ArtandLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtandLarry View Post
There is a wiring diagram in the documents section for the 1300. We have been working on ours for about two months and took it out camping just this last week...was great.
Thanks ArtandLarry! Keep those "light at the end of the tunnel" comments coming. :-) Trying to think of a name for it other than my wife's current one. To me "Piece of S@#t" is hopefully a short term name.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Since the converter is installed in front of the wheel well, you are not likely to gain much space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelAucoin View Post
5 x 12 is about right so I guess that is long gone as well. Yet another hole to creatively fill. :-) I will likely be expanding the furnace hole anyways to fit the portable AC.

I will be starting the removal of whatever is left of the furnace and fridge tomorrow and will post pictures. Might be of use to someone.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #16

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Since the converter is installed in front of the wheel well, you are not likely to gain much space.
David, you are correct! :-) Finally ripped the furnace (what was left of it) and the fridge out so may turn the furnace hole into a cupboard, and pick up a new 30 amp converter that fits the existing hole. As with others, the interior vent pipes were well rusted together so took a twist with a crowbar to free them.

I think I will pick up a new vent for the outside as opposed to sealing it shut completely. The new converter could use the airflow.

I will take some pictures of whats left of the furnace/fridge just in case there are parts that someone could use.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
The thing about the gravity furnaces, that were installed in Trillium trailers, is that they are quite thin. They sit in a place that is difficult to use for anything else.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 AM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Welcome Lionel and enjoy the reno it was good while doing our 73 Trillium......if interested mid august next year will be our Manitoba Vintage camper Rally, 60 to 80 trailers with good selection of Trillium. Or this coming weekend if you can make it
Old 08-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #19

Name: Anne-Marie
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Hi Lionel, Welcome to the forum. What part of Ontario are you in? I'm down in the SW near Sarnia. I've just started a reno of a 77 Trillium 1300 also. I was given it 6 years ago and almost sold it this spring but once I started cleaning it up to sell, I decided to keep it and fix it up.

It is interesting to see photos of yours to compare to what may have been in mine. I thought there may have been a furnace in mine at one time as there is a big hole beneath my closet with no door. But there is no vent on the outside of the trailer for it. I still have a converter in mine but no deep cell battery yet. There is a cupboard beneath the sink and then the converter below that. I just have an icebox frig but there is an electrical outlet behind it and I would like to get a working frig eventually.

Mine is already in pretty good condition. No structural or major repairs to make. But both faucetts didn't work and the gravity water tank and all water lines were pretty grungy. So I removed everything and just put back in a city water system. I decided I'd rather have the storage room than the water tank.

I installed a household faucett, meant for a bar sink and just capped off the second line that would have been for hot water. I installed it in the middle hole that the pump faucett would have been in. It turned out rather nice, I think!

I tore out the old carpet that was in there and have installed sheet vinyl flooring. I've sandblasted and painted the wheelrims and got new tires and have replaced the out of date propane tank. Next on the list is recovering the cushions and installing some kind of new window coverings. And installing a new powered roof vent.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #20

Name: Anne-Marie
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
The thing about the gravity furnaces, that were installed in Trillium trailers, is that they are quite thin. They sit in a place that is difficult to use for anything else.
The spot where his furnace was, is a cupboard in my 1300 Trill. That cavity, in front of the wheel well, is also where the electrical line goes out a port. But I made a useful shelf by gluing some wood blocking to the wheel well and the back wall so that I could lay a peice of plywood on them and still easily get my hand in to handle the electric cord. The plywood shelf will handle the weight of my collapsible dish drainer, a couple small pots, a roll of paper towels etc.

Tags
trillium