just bought a beachcomber - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #15

Name: Juanita
Trailer: Beachcomber
Manitoba
Got some more work done today. Or rather destruction! More than half of the floor is gone as well as the closet now which only leaves the other half of the floor. I have a question though regarding the structure: the front of the camper has noticeably sagged and has bounced on the frame causing damage to the fiberglass on both sides on the front. I believe this has happened because one or more of the bolts connecting to the frame in the back of the camper have let go. How do I fix this? Obviously I will fix the loose bolt but how do I reverse the sag so this doesn't happen again? If you look at the photo above you can see the sag.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #16

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
Hi Juanita,
I suggest you start with the frame. If you have loose or bad bolts, the continued movement as you tow will damage any repair you do to the shell.
Then work on the needed roof support so the shell keeps its shape and is sturdy.
Next I would repair/ clean up the shell so that it is weather tight.
After that address what you need to tow safely. There are some ways to attach lights that are not permanent, but will let you tow safely.
Once these are done, I say pack and camp. Take along a notebook or journal and notice what you want or need to be comfortable.
After a couple of trips you will know what to do next.
Do remember before your first tow that loose items move around A LOT when these little campers are in motion. I suggest using plastic containers to hold your stuff and bungees or tie downs to hold the containers. Just don't anchor items to the fiberglass walls, they don't do well with sideways forces.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 04-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #17

Manitoba
Thanks for you're reply Lisa. No worries about me doing more damage to this trailer. As I've mentioned above it is mostly gutted now just waiting for me to have more time to work on it. It still needs both tires replaced and I need a hitch on my car as well.

My question right now is how to fix the damage on the front where the frame has broken through the fiberglass. Reattaching the bolts will not be enough to correct the sag. I have seen on some other beachcomber photos that others have likely done the same repair but how did they fix the front sag?

Juanita
Old 04-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #18

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
There's lots of forums, look for one for your trailer type. I bet someone has dealt with the same or similar trouble .

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #19

Manitoba
I have read pretty much every beachcomber forum entry including all the restoration ones and cannot find the answer to my question so I'm hoping someone will see this and be able to help or maybe point me in the right direction. Maybe the answer is there and I just missed it!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #20

Name: Rolly
Manitoba
Hi,

You are not the only one with this problem. I too am rebuilding a Beachcomber and have some of the same issues as you do, although maybe not as bad as yours. I did read in one of the forums that one guy added extra frame supports in the corners where it sagged. Mine is sagging between the wheel well and the door. I'm thinking of running an angle iron underneith the shell and anchoring it to the two frame supports on that side (under the door). I will have to cut it at some places to make it fit properly, but i will weld where i need to in order to have one solid piece.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #21

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 197? Beachcomber
Manitoba
I had bad sagging in the two front corners of my beachcomber so I had supports welded to the frame at the front. My shell was completely off the frame so it was easy to do at that time. And I used that new support as another spot to bolt the shell to the frame for extra support. (prior to the reno I noticed the shell was bouncing a bit on the frame while towing so this extra bolt point should help give it a more solid connection to the frame).

I also had some minor sagging at the back corners but they straightened out after the shell was sitting on my driveway for a couple months while I was working on the frame. Looking back I should have welded a couple supports at the back also but I think it will be fine. The back doesn't have as large of a distance from the frame to the edge of the shell as in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1359.jpg   IMG_1372.jpg  

Tags
beachcomber