just started thinking about an RV - so call me green - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
just started thinking about an RV - so call me green

Hi, Luis. Welcome to the forum!

Sleeping four in a fiberglass trailer is certainly possible. We are four (my daughters are 9 and 11) and we all fit in a 13' Scamp. But it's starting to feel crowded, and they sometimes opt to sleep in a tent of their own. Here are some things I've learned:
(1) Beds are typically smaller than the ones at home, and smaller than the air mattress you may have been using in a tent. For example, the "double" bed in many Scamps and Casitas is only 45" wide.
(2) Bunks are often weight-limited. I've heard different figures, but 100-125# is common. (Parkliner is one exception.)

All things to consider as you look at various trailers, especially as your kids, like mine, are at an age when they are growing fast! Going to the rally is a great place to start.

On the whole, I'd say the Bigfoot 17' you are thinking about is a great choice. It won't be easy to snag, but I've seen several on the market recently (mostly in the NW).
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #22

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
Hi Luis,

I'm another new member. Happy New Year!

I can tell you that you can find what you're looking for if you're willing to drive along ways to get it.

I just bought an 87 Bigfoot from a lovely couple in Oregon and will pick up my trailer in February.

I plan to be at the Bluebonnet Rally too, come by and check it out.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #23

Name: luis
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Encouraging

Glenn -
I agree and don't feel limited by size/length. Although I would prefer the "smallest comfortable" unit, all things must be considered. Thanks for your observations.

Jon -
Thank you for sharing your setup and your family experiences. These are important to me as you and I are in a similar family stage. Knowing that you're managing on a 13' has given me another perspective, although I understand how the tightness of space will become more apparent as they continue to grow - like weeeeeds, as well as the grocery bill

Rich Ess -
Oh, I look forward to checking the Bandera Bluebonnet rally indeed. Since you purchased your unit from afar, would you mind sharing some tips on what to ask from the vendors? Did you go to check the unit before hand or purchased completely "blind" just by pictures, etc? The unit I was thinking of is located outside the USA so I also need to check the expenses associated with importing a unit if I go that route. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
just started thinking about an RV - so call me green

Luis, it can be very straightforward or impossible to import from Canada. It depends on the age and, in some cases, the manufacturer. Bigfoots can be problematic. If it's not a late model with US DOT certification but less than 25 years old, I understand it's a no-go. The forum section on "Money Matters" has many threads on the subject. A search on "import from Canada" should give several useful hits. Make sure to use the Google search option.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #25

Texas
Jon,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Still concern w/ the distance and the fact that if I move forward with this unit it will be a "blind" purchase. That concerns me.

Again, thanks.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #26
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
Dave,

My TV will either be a Toyota Highlander or a 4Runner, both with a towing capacity of up to 5,000 lbs.
Z
The Highlanders work well but the older 4Runners are lousy tow vehicles. If it is a later model 4Runner not so bad.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:03 PM   #27

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
Luis,

You can read the details of how I came to purchase my BF in "Proud Owners of the 1987 Bigfoot fifth wheel" in this same forum.

The Cliff Notes version is that I exchanged emails, got more pictures, and then discovered that my nephew and his wife, who live three hours away, were going to be in that same town the very next day. (Visiting her family for the holidays.) He checked it out and gave a thumbs up.

The unusual way things came together told me this was the one. Everything that's happened since has reinforced that.

I was extremely lucky! So I can't tell you to do it the way I did. Caution is certainly advised. You may be able to find a forum member near the trailer who's willing to check it out for you.

For info on importing from Canada, you might try a Google website search. Something like "import bigfoot on fiberglass rv.com" also try "import escape on fiberglass rv.com". I find that Google is better for something specific.

I know I'll love my BF, but I suggest that you also consider an Escape. They are great trailers and they are available in both Canada and the U.S. They won't be as old as the as the early Bigfoots so maybe the DOT thing won't be an issue.

Good luck!

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #28

Texas
MC1,

The Highlander is a 2010 and the 4Runner a 2001 4x4. I guess by your post going with the Highlander will be the right TV for us.

Thanks,
Z
Old 01-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Texas

You can see units for sale in Texas here:

For Sale: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers - Fiberglass RV

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #30
MC1

Ontario
Yes Z the Highlander is a good choice. I see them in these parts towing small to good sized travel trailer.

I was at a towing seminar a few years ago. The speaker, a well known towing guru used the older 4Runners as an example of how "not" to design a vehicle for towing". Stability issues are it's achillies' heel.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #31

Texas
Seminars!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
The Highlanders work well but the older 4Runners are lousy tow vehicles. If it is a later model 4Runner not so bad.
Quote:
Yes Z the Highlander is a good choice. I see them in these parts towing small to good sized travel trailer.

I was at a towing seminar a few years ago. The speaker, a well known towing guru used the older 4Runners as an example of how "not" to design a vehicle for towing". Stability issues are it's achillies' heel.
MC1,
What do you mean seminars? Are seminars presented at rallies? BTW, thanks for the TV information/insight.
Sinc.
Z
Old 01-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #32
MC1

Ontario
Z, the seminar I attended was at an RV show in Hamilton Ontario. It was hosted by Andrew Thomson who is highly respected in the world of specialized towing and tow vehicles. Here is his site on seminars. Can-Am RV :: Events & Seminars

He does travel all over North America and is known to do seminars at Rallys in Canada and the US. If interested you could contact him to see if he would be speaking at a location near you.

There many be other knowledgeable folks giving seminars too but the only other one I know of would be Garth Cane who also is from the Toronto area.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #33

Texas
excellent!

Quote:
Z, the seminar I attended was at an RV show in Hamilton Ontario. It was hosted by Andrew Thomson who is highly respected in the world of specialized towing and tow vehicles. Here is his site on seminars. Can-Am RV :: Events & Seminars

He does travel all over North America and is known to do seminars at Rallys in Canada and the US. If interested you could contact him to see if he would be speaking at a location near you.

There many be other knowledgeable folks giving seminars too but the only other one I know of would be Garth Cane who also is from the Toronto area.
MC1-
Thanks for the link. What a great idea. I will look around my area for something similar as an introductory session to RV'ing would come in handy for us. Currently reading on porta-potti to better gauge which direction to follow in our quest.

Thanks,
Z
Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #34

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Thanks for the tip on narrowing the search by state. Helps a great deal.
Z