Just wanted to say hi - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: nuCamp
Alabama
Just wanted to say hi

Thought I join the forum as I recently have on order a 13’ Scamp standard that won’t be ready till Sept/Oct. my TV is a 2018 Rav4 AWD Adventure. I used to do a lot of camping either tent or folding camper. Only plan on sleeping in it or when bad weather arrives. Otherwise I’m outdoors.

Bill

PS and yes, I have a long wait till I get my new Scamp.
Billpq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Bill!

Congratulations on the new Scamp. I'm sure the waiting will be hard through the long summer. Will you be traveling to Backus to pick it up?

We're like you. The Scamp is a rolling bedroom and occasional daytime retreat in bad weather. We cook, eat, and otherwise spend most of our time outdoors. For that it is perfect. Not having to deal with wet canvas... even better!

There have been discussions about the new RAV4 Adventure and its 3500# tow rating with a non-turbo 4 cylinder. So far, no real world experience. I hope you'll give us your impressions once you get your Scamp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #3

Alabama
I’m not expecting any trouble towing. My new Scamp has the front bunk, 1 20lb lp gas tank and one battery on the tongue. No AC, no awning, 54” bed, will come with heater, sink, stove, 12 gal fresh water tank and a gray water tank—both will remain empty. Also, no water heater. Refrig included, but don’t plan on using. Some items were included for resale value only. The RAV4 comes with Toyota hitch made for the Adventure. 7 pin wiring harness so yes the Scamp will have brakes. They will install the brake controller (dealership). I got an official OK from a Toyota rep visiting our local dealer. I would never try it with a 16’. The Scamp will be well below the 3500lbs. I won’t know till I weigh it but I’m expecting approx 200lbs tongue weight and a trailer weight of approx 1800lbs. It’s just my wife and I plus a dog. The heaviest item besides us will be our Honda 2000 generator stuck behind the front seats. Only bringing this because I’ll have to recharge the battery because of a cpap.

Bill
Old 02-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Bill!

Congratulations on the new Scamp. I'm sure the waiting will be hard through the long summer. Will you be traveling to Backus to pick it up.

We are not sure yet, it is hard for my wife to get time off plus she has to give 30 days advance notice. Scamp says they will give us approx 2 weeks notice.

Bill
Old 02-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpq View Post
...The RAV4 comes with Toyota hitch made for the Adventure. 7 pin wiring harness so yes the Scamp will have brakes. They will install the brake controller (dealership). I got an official OK from a Toyota rep visiting our local dealer...
That's very encouraging. Many have reported Toyota dealers and manufacturer reps less than helpful when it comes to towing set-up. The RAV4 Adventure seems like a great match for a Scamp 13.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
greetings bill

glad to have you here bill

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Welcome to the gang. Loads of info and who knows you maybe able to help with some problems of others too.... Happy Camping
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

Alabama
Quote:
That's very encouraging. Many have reported Toyota dealers and manufacturer reps less than helpful when it comes to towing set-up. The RAV4 Adventure seems like a great match for a Scamp 13.
I should state that the Toyota rep didn’t talk to me personally but to the service manager and the other RAV4s should not tow the 13’ Scamp. So other RAV4 owners should not consider towing the Scamp, period. The Adventure hitch has a 2” sq opening. The other RAV4s have a 1-1/4” opening—-this is from Toyota, not aftermarket. They are installing the Toyota wiring with the controller Recommended by Scamp. P2 or P3 is overkill and not needed for my application.

In time, I will discover what my rav4 can do and will post about it. At least I know I’m covered under warranty and my insurance towing a 13’ Scamp.

Bill
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #9

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
glad to have you here bill

bob
Thanks Bob!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #10

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Welcome to the gang. Loads of info and who knows you maybe able to help with some problems of others too.... Happy Camping
Thank you, but I have to be very patient before I get to go camping.

Bill
Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpq View Post
...They are installing the Toyota wiring with the controller Recommended by Scamp. P2 or P3 is overkill and not needed for my application...
I'm wondering what controller Scamp is recommending and why...? The P2 is a very popular choice in these parts and has worked very well for many.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #12

Alabama
Quote:
I'm wondering what controller Scamp is recommending and why...? The P2 is a very popular choice in these parts and has worked very well for many.
Scamp and My salesman recommended the Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ. Because it’s a great match for my Scamp and was only $65. It is also the smaller size and would fit better in my Rav4. I don’t plan on taking it out even if I sell or trade in my Rav4. I have basically one spot to put it because of all the lower air bags. I’m sure the P2 or P3 are great. I know they are highly recommended. I had the P3 in my Tacoma when I had it.

Bill
Old 02-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #13

Missouri
camping

bill I moved from a tent to an A-Liner Scout then big-time back surgery at 76 hit me. I couldn't lift the panels then so I went to a 13f scamp. I bought a ford edge to tug the A-Linerwith it is at is limit with the 13f scamp but I don't drive fast 55 is my limit.

the ford needed nothing for towing I lucked out there we have driven the edge about 15k pulling the scamp so far. the edge has paddle shifting and I don't use o/d to pull.

I don't understand how some manufacturers rig their cars up with turn signals and such.

good luck

bob
Old 02-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #14

Missouri
Bill reading your comments our 95 scamper equipped about the same as yours. it came with 2 propane tanks I took one off not needed with truck stops selling propane. I did some moving of stuff in the camper I now have the tongue weight down to 100lb and it tows straight.

we just finished a 4k trip to Az and other states no problems at all. the only thing I am dealing with now is tire pressure at 50lbs it rides mighty rough so I am going to test at 40lb and see what happens.

our scamper does not have brakes I see no need for them but others feel different that is fine! we do not drive fast we are on vacation I want to look at things our speed limit is 55mph we try to take side roads when possible thus we spent quite a bit of time on route 66 this time.

March 1 we will be at Bennett Springs state park in Mo. for trout fishing opening day. That trip only involves a 75 mile trip but no doubt will be cold so we will have to use our wave 3 heater for a bit I am sure.

You will have so many adventures with your 13f scamper I know we have. We had more fun with our A-Liner boonedocked at the walmarts everyone coming by had to see the aframe and how it worked but it was chilly in cold wx lots of cracks. The scamper is so secure you will love it!

bob
Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #15

Alabama
Quote:
bill I moved from a tent to an A-Liner Scout then big-time back surgery at 76 hit me. I couldn't lift the panels then so I went to a 13f scamp. I bought a ford edge to tug the A-Linerwith it is at is limit with the 13f scamp but I don't drive fast 55 is my limit.

the ford needed nothing for towing I lucked out there we have driven the edge about 15k pulling the scamp so far. the edge has paddle shifting and I don't use o/d to pull.

I don't understand how some manufacturers rig their cars up with turn signals and such.

good luck

bob
I have always towed my campers by their tire speed rating. I have had too many blowouts from “made in China” trailer tires. When I towed with my Tacoma, I always had two spares. I don’t know where the Scamp tires are made, but they went from a load range “C” to a “D”.

Bill
Old 02-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #16

Alabama
Quote:
Bill reading your comments our 95 scamper equipped about the same as yours. it came with 2 propane tanks I took one off not needed with truck stops selling propane. I did some moving of stuff in the camper I now have the tongue weight down to 100lb and it tows straight.

our scamper does not have brakes I see no need for them but others feel different that is fine!

bob
Toyota says the brakes for my Rav4 are mandatory. The Scamp salesman recommended I put them on for safety. They are a cheap option $275.

Bill
Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #17

Name: Juan
Trailer: Scamp
California
Welcome Bill! Your setup sounds great.
KINETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #18

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Bill! My recommendation is a Prodigy I or 2. I have installed over 50 easily. Every customer loves them! Costs a little more but worth it! Set them up once and done!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #19

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINETA View Post
Welcome Bill! Your setup sounds great.
I hope it turns out that way. I wish I didn’t have that cpap device. Would love to go solar. But in today’s world of camping, you have to worry about theft. Something I never had to worry about before. Times are changing.

Bill
Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #20

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Welcome Bill! My recommendation is a Prodigy I or 2. I have installed over 50 easily. Every customer loves them! Costs a little more but worth it! Set them up once and done!
How do you like your 2.7 EB?

Bill