Kansas Shopper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Shopping
Kansas
Kansas Shopper

Hi folks,
I'm a soon to be retired elementary school teacher. Saw my first Scamp about 20 years ago and it nearly took my breath away. I've been drooling over Scamps and Cassitas (that's all I've ever seen in person) ever since. Since I hope to have some time on my hands and a more flexible schedule soon, my wife and I have started looking on-line for FGRVs. I was turned on to your little corner of the Internet and am really impressed by the resources and community you have developed here. I look forward to finding a nice trailer soon and joining you on the road.

We have an 8 year old Subaru Outback. Can anyone recommend what size trailer it might be able to pull? I'm hoping for a 16 footer. Is that practical or too big?
R Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I believe there are a few people pulling 16'ers with outbacks, hopefully they'll chime in soon.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Richard

If you are able to come to the fiberglass gathering in Minden, NE May 23-26 you would have an opportunity to see many trailers and talk to lots of us.

Sorry I can't comment on your tow vehicle. We like an undersized trailer for the tow vehicle we use. Looking forward to see how the new Rav4 compares to the Honda MiniVan with our 13.

See what your owners manual says.
then check out General Chat...Trailer weights in the real world.

Welcome to the group.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Richard, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

Yep, drool factor is one of the "requirements" for all molded ownership, sounds like you're going to fit right in!

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum R Brown.
I'm in the NE OKL corner.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #6

Kansas
Re: Thanks

Thanks for the friendly welcome folks. I see that there is an Eggstraviganza rally planned in Kansas in Sept. that I'd like to visit. Hope to get a look at a dozen or so Eggs and chat folks up.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I just thought of the name, I think Carol H? has a 16' and an outback.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I do indeed pull a 16' Scamp Side bath model - no ac and packed *very very light* with an 07 Outback. The side bath model is really the only 16' Scamp model the Outback can handle - all the Casita's fall well out of its range. But I highly recommend for those looking to buy a trailer not going for a 16' and sticking to a 13' if pulling with an Outback . I will be changing tow vehicles in the not to distant future and going for more capacity. The issue is the low tongue weight capacity that Subaru puts on the Outback 200lbs max. Problem is that as hard as I try and I can not keep the weight of the trailer under 2450 lbs so for a safe solid tow it needs a tongue weight in the 240lb range (proven that out over many miles of various terrain). Subaru doesnt allow Weight Distribution hitches on the Outback so that doesnt solve the problem.... so you will always be towing over the tongue weight capacity.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #9

Kansas
Oh my gosh! I don't know why I said Outback, we have a Forrester. Will a Forrester pull a 16 footer? Sorry for spacing out there.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Registry
Nope it will not. Would come in over your towing capacity and if I am not mistaken the older Forester had the smaller engine etc so its a good bet it would *really* struggle with it......
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
You will still have the same problems with the forester. We pull a 13' scamp with a forester which works OK. I don't have trailer brakes which would be a definate plus. I think the 16' will push the limits of "comfortable" towing, at least it would for me.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #12

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Hi Richard

If you are able to come to the fiberglass gathering in Minden, NE May 23-26 you would have an opportunity to see many trailers and talk to lots of us.

Sorry I can't comment on your tow vehicle. We like an undersized trailer for the tow vehicle we use. Looking forward to see how the new Rav4 compares to the Honda MiniVan with our 13.

See what your owners manual says.
then check out General Chat...Trailer weights in the real world.

Welcome to the group.

Nancy
Thanks for the invitation! I just looked up where Minden is. I should be able to make it. And I should arrive on the first day of my retirement!!! Oh yeah!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Richard, Will you be tenting in Minden? they do have an old motel attached to Pioneer Village.

It would be nice to let Ron and Linda know you may come and the date of arrival.

Glad you will be able to make it. If there isn't an official open house time to view trailers people generally are willing to show theirs. Not sure how many 13's will be there but our 13 will be available for you to see. There will also be a 13 with front bath too, so you will be able to feel the difference between the two models.

Also our trailer is older than the 13 with bath, you will be able to feel the different inside height between the two.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #14

Kansas
Thanks Nancy. I'll talk to the wife about it when she returns to town in a few days.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Since weight's a consideration, sticking to earlier trailers without holding tanks might buy you a little more room while staying under 2,000 pounds, Richard.

I tow a first-gen Trillium 4500 (bigger than a 13 ft., smaller than a 16 ft.) with a four cylinder '97 Kia Sportage- no black/grey tanks on the trailer. Curb weight for this trailer is around fourteen hundred pounds, and I've towed it many trouble-free miles loaded to about 2,000.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Or you could look at 70's Hunter Compacts at less than 1000 lbs... sweeeeeet

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #17

Registry
There are a number of makes of fiberglass trailers on the trailer Weights in the Real World that come in at under 2000lbs loaded. Hunter compact Jr's as Bob says are nice little guys some of the others are Burro B13's, Boler 13' Uhaul CT13, Scamp 13', Trillium T1300 13' and a Trillium T4500 15' - although the later weighed in at only about 25lbs under your tow cap limit.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Brown View Post
Oh my gosh! I don't know why I said Outback, we have a Forrester. Will a Forrester pull a 16 footer? Sorry for spacing out there.
We used to pull our 12 foot, 1100 lb teardrop with a Forester. It did an adequate job but would drop to second gear and almost red line pulling some of the mountains in the Adirondacks. When we decided to upgrade to fiberglass we upgraded the tug to a V-6 Toyota Tacoma. Not impressed with the gas mileage - we average 15 - 16 towing our egg. Then again, the Forester only got about 19 when pulling the teardrop.

I was at our local Subaru dealer yesterday getting the DMV inspection on our ParkLiner and the owner came out for a tour. He asked the weight and hitch weight and said that an Outback would easily handle that. If you are a real Subie fan, that might be your logical move.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
I was at our local Subaru dealer yesterday getting the DMV inspection on our ParkLiner and the owner came out for a tour. He asked the weight and hitch weight and said that an Outback would easily handle that. If you are a real Subie fan, that might be your logical move.
Sadly he is wrong! The Outback could not handle the Parkliner's tongue weight loaded. Subaru has a 200lb tongue limit on the Outback and as others here with Parkliners have discovered they weigh more than that on the tongue.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Sadly he is wrong! The Outback could not handle the Parkliner's tongue weight loaded. Subaru has a 200lb tongue limit on the Outback and as others here with Parkliners have discovered they weigh more than that on the tongue.
See, that's why it pays to go to the top! Can't you imagine a car dealer, especially the owner, who would look you in the eye and lie to you? I checked the Subaru site and you are !00% correct. Glad I went with the FWD V-6 Taco. Pardon me while I remove my foot from my mouth.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote