Kinda new guy in South Carolina - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #21

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina

If we don't know each other already, I'm sure we know some of the same families in Pinopolis where I built a house in 1989 and which I still own. Raised my two children there and moved to Mt. Pleasant for work in 2004. We kept house intending to move back one day, but we have grandchildren here in MP area so Nana isn't moving back anytime soon.

Feel free to contact me via my email- jerrymcs1@gmail.com
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig1 View Post
I've been on this site before asking questions but I never did properly introduce myself. I've owned several stick built campers over the years always progressing toward one with easy maintenance.
Well here I am 15yrs later and I'm about to buy my first fiberglass and I hope my last camper. I have a place in line to purchase a Scamp 5th wheel and would take delivery in May 2018. Then I read about the Oliver. Well unless I really don't like the camper when I visit the plant this Wednesday I'm probably going to purchase one. It just has all the stuff I want like solar, great battery placement and other electronics to keep you connected. I also like the fact that there is no wood to root. I know they are expensive but they offer what I want and they are made in the USA.

I think an Oliver is a fine choice. You have thought it through, seems like it meets exactly what you are looking for.

Three things prevented us from getting an Oliver: 1) we really didn't care for the floorplan, 2) the cost was over our budget and 3) we are storage space limited, so the bigger Oliver would not fit.

All in all, it sure seems like the Oliver is top notch!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:53 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
here's another welcome from the "wonderful iodine state" (columbia here). that oliver is a really nice trailer but a bit pricey for my social security budget. i'm nearing my mid 70's and have started to wonder how much longer i'll be able to enjoy the vagabond thing so i think it prudent to keep what i have and spend $ on staying on the move as long as possible. and besides, if i were to move upstream i'd just spend more time and $ "making it mine". i've been there and done that with my casita 16er and it works very well for me now...so, i'll just keep on truckin'.

p@

btw...i like the idea of a sc rally!
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:49 AM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (Pick up in April 2018)
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
here's another welcome from the "wonderful iodine state" (columbia here). that oliver is a really nice trailer but a bit pricey for my social security budget. i'm nearing my mid 70's and have started to wonder how much longer i'll be able to enjoy the vagabond thing so i think it prudent to keep what i have and spend $ on staying on the move as long as possible. and besides, if i were to move upstream i'd just spend more time and $ "making it mine". i've been there and done that with my casita 16er and it works very well for me now...so, i'll just keep on truckin'.

p@

btw...i like the idea of a sc rally!
Patrick, nice to meet you. I totally understand the misgivings about the Oliver price. When you compare it to other FGRV on the market it seems like too much to pay. I'm looking at it as an investment, not for resale, in the future. Kinda like a tiny house. When the time comes that the wife and I can no longer travel I see no reason that we couldn't use it as a tiny house. I think as a person gets older they require less stuff. Maintenence on a large house and associated property becomes almost impossible. I know it may seem strange to some but I believe that a permanently parked FGRV would make a perfect place for a couple to spend the last bit of time. Then going to a assisted living community when you just can't take care of yourself. Life can throw you some curve balls when you get older. Getting old ain't for sissies, you gotta be tough.
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I know it may seem strange to some but I believe that a permanently parked FGRV would make a perfect place for a couple to spend the last bit of time. [/QUOTE]

We disagree with this idea, knowing we would be much more comfortable in our small ranch style house. If one of us needs a wheelchair or special bed or walker or any other handicap items we have room for it. We frequently joke about a couple I went to school with 50 years ago who sold their house to travel full time. After a year in their new stick built trailer it had issues and had to go back to the factory for 2 months for repairs. That left them "homeless" for that time period. I saw mention in a previous post of Huntington Beach and Hunting Island State Parks. We've been to both several times, going back to Huntington and Edisto in March.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #26

Name: Ray
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (Pick up in April 2018)
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We disagree with this idea, knowing we would be much more comfortable in our small ranch style house. If one of us needs a wheelchair or special bed or walker or any other handicap items we have room for it. We frequently joke about a couple I went to school with 50 years ago who sold their house to travel full time. After a year in their new stick built trailer it had issues and had to go back to the factory for 2 months for repairs. That left them "homeless" for that time period. I saw mention in a previous post of Huntington Beach and Hunting Island State Parks. We've been to both several times, going back to Huntington and Edisto in March.
I always figured that when I have special needs that would be my tip point to move into an assisted living facility of some type. I'm not close to that point yet so I may change my mind as I get older. Nothing is set in stone. I just don't want to make my wife or my kids responsible for me. Not that you do it's just my way of looking at it based on where I am right now. I've been around relatives that stayed in their homes and I've watched the houses crumble around them. Kinda don't want to end up like that. Getting old gives you something to look forward to doesn't it.
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #27

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm old already, 71 and 3 bad discs in my back, but I keep on going. Trying to clean out my barn somewhat before my kids have to do it. About 20 years ago I had to make modifications in a house for two elderly people to live out their time there with outside assistance. It pretty much became their own private nursing home with around the clock RN's. Not expecting that in my life as it cost over 100K per year, but we will stay at home as long as we can. We just painted the house, recent new roof, new windows, new boiler, and new water system, so it should outlast us.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #28

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
getting old

We had to put the wife s parents in a n/home finally. You don't even want to think what it cost a month finally almost wiped them out they paid their own way to the end.

I know many n/home administrators who have many stories of wealthy people going to the n/home penniless then no one visits them! I am starting to think of cleaning our house out and its scarey!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote