LeahT - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #15

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Hi Leah

Just a couple of questions:

What is your tow vehicle and what was included in the the tow package you had installed?

In what area of northern Colorado are you picking up the trailer and what route are you planning to take on your return to NM?

Is your new Scamp a 13' or 16' and does it have brakes? Was a brake controller installed as part of your tow package? If you have an automatic transmission do you have a transmission cooler?

Now for the advice:

Take it slow. If you are taking I-25 to NM don't try to do the speed limit. Sixty mph is just fine. Plan your route to avoid any high mountain passes if possible. Save the up down twisty turny trip for later when you have some experience towing the trailer.

Before you get out on the open highway set up the brake controller. It is best to do this in a large empty parking lot.

Check weight/balance. Tongue weight is very important. If it is too light you will have sway issues. Also make sure the trailer is either level or slightly lower at the hitch. Towing with the tongue high can also cause sway at highway speeds and can cause braking issues.

Offer:

I live in the Denver metro area. If you are picking up the Scamp near here I could help you with the initial setup/hookup.

BTW - Congratulations on getting your first fiberglass camper as a gift. I'm sure you will enjoy beginning your camping experience in class with glass.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #16

Name: Leah
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Muchas Gracias!

Hi Orlen,

I drive a Honda CRV with automatic transmission. The tow package I had added is the factory Honda package. (Hitch and wiring) I am headed to Rangely, Co. and intend to come back home via Utah to avoid the San Juans in Southern, Co. Thankfully I will get to enjoy them on my way North! I do have to drive over Douglas Pass but itís not too bad. Itís pretty hard to avoid mountains I am afraid. J The trailer is a 13í and I donít think it has brakes and no, as far as I know my transmission does not have a cooler installed unless it is standard on the CRV.

I am pretty comfortable driving in the mountains having grown up in Colorado and having traveled a great deal over the last 50+ years.

The people who are gifting me their trailer have been towing it since 1992 so I know they will be able to help me get it hooked up and on the road the first time.

Thank you so much for your advice, offer, and congratulations! Itís so comforting to know there are so many really nice people out there in the FiberglassRV world!!

Leah

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #17

Name: Leah
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Oh gosh, If this is what it's really like to back up a trailer, I could be in real trouble! I hope there are a lot of pull-through camp sites out there!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #18

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
Hi Leah

Just a couple of questions:

What is your tow vehicle and what was included in the the tow package you had installed?

.....snip....

Yeah, you guys were slackin' !!!! It took 15 posts before someone asked this question !

Now that the OP has responded with the make and model.....here we go !!!! .....zinnnng ! .....got a live one on this line.... !

...popcorn time.....
Old 05-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahTookey View Post
Oh gosh, If this is what it's really like to back up a trailer, I could be in real trouble! I hope there are a lot of pull-through camp sites out there!
Actually, real life is a bit easier than the game..........LOL

But the game does give a sense of how the trailer reacts
to how you turn your steering wheel. That's why they say
"turn a little at a time."
Old 05-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
...............popcorn time.....
I'll sit this one out. Any bets on how long before that poor imaginary little kid in Colorado surfaces?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #21

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Imaginary Kid???
Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #22

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Imaginary Kid???
Yea, poor thing. She gets killed once a week or so I have read.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #23

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Am I missing something here, Tom? My leg is in a cast but I still think the blood is flowing to my brain.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahTookey View Post
Really not that hard once you do it a couple times. As everyone said, small steering inputs make a big difference, and learning to follow the trailer around the curve before it jackknifes. What I did to introduce my wife to it was to get a toy truck and trailer, and have her practice backing it up on a tabletop. Getting an external view really helped her to understand what's going on when she turns the wheel. Then we graduated to the tractor with an empty utility trailer. Now she's pretty confident unless it's really a tight spot. Don't be shy about pulling ahead and trying again.

Best way to learn is to find an empty and quiet parking lot. Put some empty milk jugs (or a little water in them if it's windy) down in a "campsite" pattern, and practice backing in. Try it approaching from both directions. I do something like this with the motorcycle, I have tennis balls that I cut in half to use as cones, then I lay them in the parking lot and practice my low-speed maneuvering. Better to mash a few milk jugs than to mash your new egg!

Good to have a ground guide if you're backing into an unfamiliar area. I backed my truck into a retaining wall that I couldn't see, my friends will never let me forget that goof!

Relax and focus on being smooth, before long you'll be backing up like a pro!