Looking for 13' to 15' FGRV for Family of 5! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #15

Name: Kristina
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Dean - I just checked out the website. Pretty cool! I will be on the lookout for one...

Jon - Thanks for the suggestions on the Scamp & Casita models! I will keep that in my back pocket too!

Phillip & Pam - Yes, I think if we find we have to make do with a 13 footer, we can swing it. And the tip on sleeping in the van is a great one! I hadn't thought of that!

Old 12-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatoombs View Post
...And the tip on sleeping in the van is a great one! I hadn't thought of that!
Wish I could say it was an original idea, but one time at a campground I talked to a family of 5 with 3 teenagers who were traveling across Canada and back with a 13' Boler. The two girls slept on the front bunks and the boy slept in their van. But I realized that your kids are too young to be left alone so I suggested one of the parents sleep out there too. If it was nice weather a small tent would work as well.
I'm not sure what my kids' memories are from our camping trips when they were little, but my memories of those times are very precious to me

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 12-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looking for 13' to 15' FGRV for Family of 5!

Actually, if Dad were in the tent (or the van), the boys would probably fight for the privilege!

Once when I was 12, I spent one night in the bucket of a front-end loader. Long story... I thought it was the coolest ever!

This dad is done with sleeping on the ground, though. Did my share of it when I was younger, but now I really enjoy having a bunk in the trailer. On a cold night, I like it that we all fit, albeit snugly. And when conditions allow our girls to have their own tent, my wife and I get to enjoy the privacy of a cozy honeymoon suite!

Phillip, I, too, have very precious childhood memories of traveling all over North America in a pop-up. I was only 5 when we visited the 1967 World Expo in Montreal. I regret waiting until my girls were 6 and 9 to start camping with them, but my wife was the reluctant one until we got the Scamp.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #18

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Have you tried this site
Searchtempest
Put in your zip code/distance & make
It will search all Craigslist as well as ebay

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #19

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hello all!

What a great resource for FGRVs! My husband and I have been searching for FGRVs for several months now. We have looked outside the FGRV options a bit as well as a leaky A-liner and a Cozy Traveler 2011. Our preference is an egg camper due to design and weight. We have a 2010 Kia Sedona with 3500 towing capacity of which, we think we should keep the dry weight (or even wet?) of the travel trailer well under 2000 lbs. I read a few other threads about trailer weight, tongue weight, towing capacity including Fred's list of real world weights. All very helpful!

However, another challenge is budget, of course. Our roundabout budget is $5000. Seems like we can only afford a fixer upper and an antique at that! We would like to be able to camp in it asap. But that may not be possible if a fixer upper. A concern of my husbands is that if we opt for an old egg camper due to budget, would the axle be compromised or most of them rusted, etc.?

And...we are a family of 5. Our 3 boys are all under 5 years right now. We are tent campers and originally, backpackers, so we can be comfortable in small spaces. Before we had our third boy, we lived in a 650 sq ft house for 3 years.

Oh and... we would be mostly using the FGRV for weekends and an occasional longer vacation here and there for now.

All comments and tips are welcomed and thanks for having such a great community online!
Congratulations on the backpacking trips. When 3 of our girls were 2 at 7 and one at 4 we started them backpacking. The first trip was with two tents, small pup tents, the 3 girls slept in their own tent and mom and dad slept in their own tent. Not room enough in either to put another person.
When they go a 2 or 3 years older we purchased a couple tents for the girls. The youngest slept by herself in own tent the older two shared a tent. We did this, this way for about 12 years. Then the girls were old enough to be their own. One of the older girls and youngest still sleep in a tent together.
My wife and I slept in tent until we were in our 60s, a small backpacking tent.
If not yet there's soon come a time when your boys will prefer to be in own space with mom and dad hovering over them. By the time you get a trailer and get it campable the older 2 will probably be real close to wanting their own space (young boys love tents). Us older boys loved tents until we got old enough that it was a problem getting dressed on our backs.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #20

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I didn't note where you were, but here is a UHaul in Pensacola, FL.

VINTAGE UHAUL CT EGG CAMPER

Askig price $3500 ---- Not my trailer!
Old 12-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #21

North Carolina
I came across this 16 ft Scamp near us for a great price. I have an inquiry to the seller about the bunks. Let me know thoughts. I imagine it be 2000 lbs tho...

Jon - this goes with your suggestion.

1986 16' Scamp Travel Trailer | Gray Court, SC | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 12-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #22

North Carolina
Red Baron, Byron, Alan Reeves, and Jon -
Sorry - just saw I missed your posts! Yes - we want to infect our boys with a love for the outdoors. I, too, have many wonderful memories of camping in an old canvas tent as a child all over the Midwest and Southeast. My husband and I met on the Appalachian Trail and love to canoe, fish, hike, backpack, camp, bike... Its hard right now with our young 'uns, but I think a Scamp will make it fun with the little ones and it will be a new adventure!

I will take a look at the U-haul and the search tempest website! Thank you for your help! I saw a 16 ft Scamp for sale near us too...
Old 12-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #23

Arizona
Registry
I thought of you when I saw that. It'll be more like 2400 pounds loaded. The bathroom with related equipment (HW heater, extra propane tank) adds a bit. The unit in the photo in my earlier post originally had the bathroom, but it was was removed (you can tell by the window) and the bench added.

Biggest thing to watch for in one that old is floor rot. Inspect really carefully above and below, paying special attention inside cabinets around the perimeter of the trailer and under the bathroom. Repairing floor rot can quickly become a big project.

They are also prone to frame cracks in the area where the front A-frame (tongue) bends under the front of the cabin. That can be repaired and reinforced, but it's something to check before you buy.

You could possibly be looking at a new axle, too, in one that old ($600-800). Check for (1) unusual tire wear, (2) wheel well clearance- your fist should easily fit on top of the tire, and (3) axle arm movement- jack up the frame near the axle- the wheel should drop a couple of inches as the frame rises. Rubber torsion axles have a typical lifespan of 15-20 years. A new axle is not a big deal (and it's the time to add brakes if it doesn't already have them), but it's something to factor into the price.

As to the rest, you may want to download and print out the "Buyers Checklist" if you decide to go look at this trailer. In the "More" tab at the top of the screen, go to the "Document Center."
Old 12-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #24

North Carolina
Thanks Jon - those are the tips I was looking for! Getting the Buyers Checklist! Do you think we can decrease the weight to under 2000 if we removed bathroom? Or would it be even steven if replaced with bench?

Another thing... we haven't outfitted our minivan yet with the hitch. We wanted to make sure we had all our research before we got the type class hitch we need. I wonder if we could rent a U-haul pickup and tow a trailer when we buy it so we don't have to be in a rush to outfit the van?
Old 12-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #25

Arizona
Registry
I doubt you could get a 16'er under 2000 pounds loaded, but you could get closer. OTOH, with young kids, might want to keep the potty...

Regardless of whether you end up with a 13'er or larger, get the heaviest duty hitch available for your vehicle. It should be a Class II or III with a 2" receiver opening. Check your owner's manual and make sure you have all required towing upgrades.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #26

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Kristina,

Nice looking rig, within your price range, relatively close by, and within the parameters of your tug (Kia Sedona - 3,500 lb towing rating). Given a 2,400 lb. trailer and 400 to 500 lbs of stuff, you can stay around 2,800 lbs, which is 80% of your tug's capacity. I think it is definitely worth a serious look. Plus, you are equipped with great wisdom and advice from Jon.

Keep us posted!

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #27

North Carolina
Are you kidding me?! It says sold now! Was just posted 3 days ago... lol.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #28

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Are you kidding me?! It says sold now! Was just posted 3 days ago... lol.
Many clean units, when priced correctly? Sell in hours, literally hours, not days. We got an apologetic phone call at 7 am hoping we were awake. Buyer came within hours and that was that.

This is VERY typical for the "good ones" that are priced right.