Looking for a cheap egg - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #61

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Sorry, I never made that clear. the title has a 2001 date, but the seller told me it was a 1973 and had told me that this title, weirdness and all, is what the DMV gave him. Which, it turns out is true. And it turns out I have a 1991, not a 1973 (though given the cracking and door issues, not sure that matter much, but that's a different thread in the "problem solving forum" ).
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #62

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Did the lady at DMV tell you where to find the NEW VIN # on the trailer?
When new VINs are issued, they have to be permanently mounted somewhere on the vehicle...
In Washington they stamp it on the tongue...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #63

Colorado
She said that they used to give out stickers and tell people to mount it, but the stickers often came off, then they moved to metal plates. It sounds like they didn't really police this. She said that I could get one when I came in to register/title the trailer and mount it, which I will do, so that if/when I sell this, the VIN will be verifiable.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #64

Registry
Wow- sounds pretty casual...
No wonder my husband's three stolen motorcycles have never turned up!

Since you know the real, original VIN, you might want to set your mind at rest re. possibility that somebody had-er-"other" reasons for retitling this Scamp.
One resource, at least for vehicles reported to insurance companies, is the S.V. database at Consumer Action :: Free ‘VINCheck’ for unrecovered stolen vehicles

Best of luck to you!

Francesca
Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #65

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Living in the "sailing capital", I can tell you that it is very common for people to lose trailer titles. Trailers, in general, are often forgotten about. People don't keep track of the paperwork like they would on a boat or car. My Scamp has a "home built" vin, as well as the newer VIN plate.

We bought a boat a few years ago, and the owner could not find the trailer (he bought it in 1975). We simply had it registered as a home built and everything is good! There is NO way to do a title search for a trailer in Maryland. Of course, they will do a lost title search for a car, truck, or motorcycle.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #66

Colorado
Francesca, thanks for that link, it does set my mind at risk, it's not in there as stolen!

And thanks, too, Jesse, that also helps set me at ease. I will now continue worrying about the real issues with my camper, and not title issues.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #67

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I thought the trailer was newer than a 1973. With the radius windows and rat fur. But when Mary F. posted about the "oh so 1973" upholstery.... I thought hummmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Money or sweat equity

Trailers are like anything else you buy, a house, car, etc. You either pay for one in good condition or you put value into it by making repairs, either yourself or pay someone else.

Some thoughts: If you give them the frame VIN, maybe Scamp can tell you who they sold it to and you can research it from there.

I don't know about having two VINs on a vehicle... Your state may be lackadaisical about it, but another may not. Maybe you can ask

Trailer Life Magazine: Follow the Road to Adventure

Maybe a local RV dealership would have some experience...

Do you have a law enforcement officer somewhere among your social circle?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #69

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well Dan you must feel a bit better now that you know your trailer is 20 years younger! :-)

As I first raised the question as to what year the trailer was really built I am not suprised it is early 90's but the inside as Donna pointed out raised an intreasting situation - it sure wasnt so clear to me either as to what year that trailer was built by just looking at the inside. BTW the uphostery in the early 90's was a rusty brown color that I know all to well or did until I redid it this winter. :-)

Due to the conflicting info you have already on the paper work why not call Scamp with the VIN and ask them confirm the year before you register it - if nothing more than to get your paper work correct. They actually sent me a nice letter on their letter head confirming the date and month mine was built and confiming the axle weight etc based on the VIN number I had provided them with (which was stamped on the trailer) - our DMV needed that info before I could register it - the sticker which would normally have that info had been painted over.

I would suggest that Roger has also given you some good advise regarding the VIN as well. Now you know where the orignal VIN number is on the trailer you should ask the DMV to issue your new paper work with the orignal - might save you a lot of explaining should you sell the trailer down the road.

Now breath deep and start worrying about where your first trip is going to be!
Have fun.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #70

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
He should change his handle to "lucky Dan".
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #71

Registry
Greg you are so right in more ways than one! How many of us end up with a trailer 20 years younger than what we thought it was. Pretty amazing really! I would say its a bit like winning the lotto but he did pay a pretty penny for what he thought was an 73. I think now what he paid is reasonable for its age and the fact it needs some work.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I thought the trailer was newer than a 1973. With the radius windows and rat fur. But when Mary F. posted about the "oh so 1973" upholstery.... I thought hummmm.
Donna I dont think it was wrong to question the age of the trailer. Rat fir is easy to add and many people have changed windows out. IMHO Mary was right on - the upholstery that is in the photo is the very same stuff that is in a friends 1977 Scamp as well as a few others I have seen of from the 70's. Not something I have seen in a 90's trailer before. People dont normally replace new upholstery with old upholstery ..... wonder what the story behind that is.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #73

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Maybe someone got sick on it, so a PO found old cushions to replace the newer ones.

Or animals that did not/could not control themselves.

I find older cushions to be less alarming than the title issue, but that seems settled now.

The biggest problem for Dan now is to fix the door. I hope that there is someone in CO who can give him a hand.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #74

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I find older cushions to be less alarming than the title issue.
CindyL
Me, Too!
I'd be nervous about spending my hard-earned on something with an original VIN# that doesn't match the paper I had in hand...

Dan,
Peace of Mind Department tip!:
Here's another resource available to check your VIN in Colorado records, at least.

Hope this helps...
Francesca

From:Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Vehicle Record Searches
[/URL]
Get Help

Vehicle Record Searches

Colorado State law and the Federal Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) state that the department shall not disclose or otherwise make available to any person or entity personal information about any individual obtained by the department in connection with a motor vehicle.

For a person to purchase a record other than their own, they must declare their intended use of that record, or they must have the signature of the person in interest authorizing them to inspect the record. Record searches are available for vehicles based on VIN or title number only. To protect personal identification information, records searches may not be completed based on license plate number or owner name. The department maintains imaged records for seven years plus the current year only.

If there is a record in the motor vehicle system, the search will provide the vehicle description, the lien information, if there is a lien on the vehicle the name and mailing address of the owner will be provided, when appropriate.

The Department requires that the Statement of Fact be included with the Title Information Request and Receipt and Requestor Release and Affidavit of Intended Use for all record search and title history requests. The Statement of Fact is required to explain the reason the information is being requested. In order to process the request these forms need to be completed in full.
The Title Information Request and Receipt must include the following information:
The vehicle identification number (VIN)
Year and make of the vehicle
The Colorado title number if available
The name and address of the requestor at the top of the form.
The Requestor Release and Affidavit of Intended Use must include the VIN, name and address of the requestor, Secure and Verifiable Identification, firm name (if applicable), date, signature and one box checked for 'approved permissible use'.
The Statement of Fact must include how, when, and from whom the vehicle in question was obtained as well as how much was paid for the vehicle. It must also include why the person is requesting a title search or history. Copies of additional documents may be required to determine if information may be released to be in compliance with DPPA.
A Certified VIN Inspection will be required prior to providing any personal identification information reflected on the vehicle record. (Owner name, address, etc.)
A fee of $2.20 per search/history, payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue must be submitted. For certified records, an additional $.50 per title record or title history request must be submitted.
The request should be sent to the Colorado Title Section, Denver, Colorado 80261.

If the department determines the information should be released, the current title information will be mailed in approximately 3 weeks from receipt of the request. Written notification will be sent to the applicant for all requests that the department determines will not be provided. In those cases the applicant can pursue a subpoena or court order.
C.R.S 42-1-206 (2) (b) states that an authorized agent of the department shall not provide the service of furnishing copies of certain records to members of the public if copies of such records are available to the public directly from the department. All record searches must be completed by the Department of Revenue.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #75

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Me, Too!
I'd be nervous about spending my hard-earned on something with an original VIN# that doesn't match the paper I had in hand...
Well, it sure wasn't my intent to do that! I couldn't find the VIN and could certainly understand how a previous owner (or DMV official) may not have been able to (eventually, after some guidance from here and with some very close up searching, I made out most but not all of the faint numbers).

In any case, I got a new title from the DMV, with the "new" VIN, and they suggested I figure out how to get it stamped on the trailer somewhere. It was actually a fairly easy process to get the title and plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
The biggest problem for Dan now is to fix the door. I hope that there is someone in CO who can give him a hand.
I agree. And I hope so too!

thanks all for your help.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #76

Indiana
I think you could get a punch set of #'s and stamp them into the frame somewhere on the tongue.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #77

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post

In any case, I got a new title from the DMV, with the "new" VIN, and they suggested I figure out how to get it stamped on the trailer somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I think you could get a punch set of #'s and stamp them into the frame somewhere on the tongue.
If this is legal in ANY State, I'll eat both your hats.
And if any employee of the Colorado DMV made the above suggestion(s), I'll eat their hat, too.
Can we bear in mind here that unregistered "guests" may be looking in on this exchange, perhaps with similar problems?
Is this the kind of "advice" they're looking for?

Francesca
Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #78

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If this is legal in ANY State, I'll eat both your hats.
And if any employee of the Colorado DMV made the above suggestion(s), I'll eat their hat, too.
Can we bear in mind here that unregistered "guests" may be looking in on this exchange, perhaps with similar problems?
Is this the kind of "advice" they're looking for?

Francesca
Well I have a lot of hats. If the DMV gave him the new vin# then it needs to be applied to the vehicle. A punch set or a engraving tool is about the only way to do it. The key here is that the DMV did this, so if the DMV says so then it should be legal at least in Dan's state. Each state plays by different rules, so every body should check with their state DMV before doing anything with vin #'s.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #79

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Dan, if I were you, I would keep a log of the steps in getting that VIN and exactly what you were told with dates and times of the visits/phone calls. Then you have it if you need it in the future.

I hope you get this little trailer camping. Sounds good that you are taking it to an RV place.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper