looking for buy advice escape or casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
The term "4-seasons" is so subjective. My Escape 19' with extra insulation, thermal windows, furnace, and air conditioner would likely perform well as a "4-seasons" trailer in many of the southern states. However, it is not even close to being suitable for longer term "4-season" stays here in northern Alberta...............

We camp in our Scamp in all four seasons and everything in between down here in Florida.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep in mind that 0 degrees Celsius is actually the water freezing point Agree zero degrees Celsius is easier to camp in than zero degrees Fahrenheit which is actually 32 degrees below the water freezing point...
My point exactly. The trouble starts when water freezes. There's a big difference between just a few degrees below the freezing point of water at night (and likely rising above the freezing point during the day) and dropping thirty degrees or more below the freezing point of water and staying there for days on end.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #17

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
the obvious question....

Hey, they all got wheels under 'em don't they?
Why would you want to stay where it's freezing? ............
Attached Thumbnails
20feet1.jpg  
Old 06-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
Hey, they all got wheels under 'em don't they? Why would you want to stay where it's freezing?

Thirty years ago I did it because it was cheap housing on a first-year teacher's salary, and the school district provided the site and all utilities for $50/month.

Nowadays, we only take our Scamp where we can camp comfortably without mechanical heating or cooling because the point is to spend our time outside. No way I'd get my wife to go camping when it's zero degrees- and she wouldn't care whether it's Celsius, Fahrenheit,... or Kelvin!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
Hey, they all got wheels under 'em don't they?
Why would you want to stay where it's freezing? ............
Winter is GREAT fun. So many wonderful activities to do in the winter, like downhill skiing, x-country skiing, snowmobiling, skating, building snowmen, etc. Plus, winter is soooo beautiful. I love winter.

This is not to say that I would not take a break from it and head south every once in a while.

We regularly camp in our Escape 19 in temps that drop a short ways below freezing. Heck, if we didn't, we would not do much camping around here. Any colder though, and I would rather sleep in a tent, which I have done many a time before.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Show of hands....

How many here on this forum, think it sounds like fun and plan to or would be willing to spend several weeks in a molded fiberglass trailer with cloudy blustery daily highs that stay under 32 degrees F getting down to 0 degrees F during the nights.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #21

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
I hope to camp in temps in the teens this winter. In TN, KY GA and Al, in an RV park with electricity. Do not expect to dry camp, although I do have a generator. Probably 3 to 5 days at a time. However, at this time the wife is saying to count her out.... My only issue will be how to take a shower/bath.

I did not think of keeping the Casita winterized, and yet camp in it, until I read Carol H and other responses in this thread.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #22

Name: Raj
Trailer: Waiting for Escape 17B due soon
Florida
No, I am in Central Florida, I am not willing to camp in that cold a temperature. Thank you

Tags
casita, escape