Looking For Elvis and a unicorn camper. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: teardrop
Tennessee
Looking For Elvis and a unicorn camper.

Howdy ya'll from Memphis..

As my introduction,
For nearly a half century I have been afflicted with an addiction to wanderlust and camping..
From the early 60's to the mid 90's I was an avid backpacker and long distance cylcle-tourist. My preferred rv was a vw bus . The last few years of the 20th century I simply car camped with a Karmann-Ghia and a tent.
In 2000, when I turned 50, I (finally) got married and everything changed!
After a couple years of car-camping we bought a Litl Guy teardrop.
Now, 10 years and 45000 miles of backroads later we are looking at up-sizing to a massive 13 / 15 foot camper.We have some very special requirements so I'm not sure if what we are looking for actually exists.

It is said that the perfect rv is as hard to find as a unicorn...

This site seems to have lots of friendly , knowledgeable folks and I am looking forward to learning more about the world of fiberglass campers.
Bill

By the way I did find Elvis..
He's buried in the back yard of his house, kinda like a pet hamster.
Schosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Welcome, Bill!

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm curious… what are the "very special requirements"? If you're handy, and you can't find exactly what you want, you make it!

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
If you think that a FGRV might be in your future , attend a rally in your area and have a look around.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schosh View Post
Howdy ya'll from Memphis..

As my introduction,
For nearly a half century I have been afflicted with an addiction to wanderlust and camping..
From the early 60's to the mid 90's I was an avid backpacker and long distance cylcle-tourist. My preferred rv was a vw bus . The last few years of the 20th century I simply car camped with a Karmann-Ghia and a tent.
In 2000, when I turned 50, I (finally) got married and everything changed!
After a couple years of car-camping we bought a Litl Guy teardrop.
Now, 10 years and 45000 miles of backroads later we are looking at up-sizing to a massive 13 / 15 foot camper.We have some very special requirements so I'm not sure if what we are looking for actually exists.

It is said that the perfect rv is as hard to find as a unicorn...

This site seems to have lots of friendly , knowledgeable folks and I am looking forward to learning more about the world of fiberglass campers.
Bill

By the way I did find Elvis..
He's buried in the back yard of his house, kinda like a pet hamster.
Don't know what part of TN your from but we will be hosting "Eggs on the Hiawassee" May 19-22 near Helen GA with an open house/showing of eggs on Saturday from 10-2 and you welcome to stop buy to get a first hand look, right now I know we have Boler, Scamp, Casita, U-Haul, Trillium, Escape, Oliver, Parkliner, Bigfoot and Fiberstream models attending...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: teardrop
Tennessee
Details on the unicorn rv

Thanks folks for the incredibly quick responses..

Johnny M ... I saw the information about the upcoming rally. Unfournuately that is the one weekend in the entire year that I must stay in Memphis.. My wife is in charge of a major local event which occurs that weekend.

Jon, I'm kinda thinking on starting a new thread for specific ideas on what we are looking for but one of our controlling requirements is to be able to transport two recumbent trikes, each with a footprint of 34"x 72".
I figure a thread outside of the welcome forum may attract more participation.

I am reasonably handy..so much so one thing I'm trying to find out is what MFGs may be willing to sell an unfinished shell that I could mod to fit my needs..Actually lil snuzzy said they would , so they are definitely an option.
Bill
Schosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Little snoozy and also Parkliner will customize. I think backpackers/ultra light campers woud be very satisfied with the Parkliner. Tom is a wealth of information there.

For my Dh's comfort, and the comfort of the 3-4 cats that will be travelling with us, we went with LilSnoozy. We got the extra driver side portal to the underbed storage area, besides cargo we will be carrying cat litter boxes and cat beds in there. Will need some LED rope lights...
Old 04-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Buy an older Trillium 13, remove the frame (Just a few bolts) and bolt it onto a 16 ft utility trailer...Viola! Toy haulin' unicorn trailer which meets all your needs!...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Jon, I'm kinda thinking on starting a new thread for specific ideas on what we are looking for but one of our controlling requirements is to be able to transport two recumbent trikes, each with a footprint of 34"x 72".
Bill
Every now and then an old Trillium Sportsman will appear. It had rear entry doors and was fairly easy to customize the interior. It might suit your needs.
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...man-57672.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:43 AM   #9

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Hi Bill,

I have a GS G5 which folds, so I will carry it in my vehicle as all but the driver's seat has been removed. How heavy and are your trikes foldable?
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Thanks folks for the incredibly quick responses..

Johnny M ... I saw the information about the upcoming rally. Unfournuately that is the one weekend in the entire year that I must stay in Memphis.. My wife is in charge of a major local event which occurs that weekend.

I figure a thread outside of the welcome forum may attract more participation.

I am reasonably handy..so much so one thing I'm trying to find out is what MFGs may be willing to sell an unfinished shell that I could mod to fit my needs..Actually lil snuzzy said they would , so they are definitely an option.
Bill
Simple John those bikes will fit right into the HCi1 no alterations needed.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry

The Happier Camper HC1 was my first thought. The rear hatch would be easier to load than than the narrow door on the Lil Snoozy. Perhaps the cargo Lil Hauley version has a larger door?

But a lot depends on what else you want the trailer to do besides carrying bicycles: beds, galley, toilet, shower?
Old 04-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Simple John those bikes will fit right into the HCi1 no alterations needed.
Of course they would fit in any cargo trailer with enough floor space.Does the HC1 have enough? What about using it as a travel trailer at the same time?
Old 04-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jon, that's the first time I have heard someone refer to the 28"x71" Lil Snoozy door as narrow . It's wide enough for an electric scooter for the handicapped.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
I stand corrected!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Jon, that's the first time I have heard someone refer to the 28"x71" Lil Snoozy door as narrow . It's wide enough for an electric scooter for the handicapped.
But the bikes are 34"X72"
Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Welcome. We ride recumbents, too, and have decided our next tow vehicle will be a 4-door pickup.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I think the op stated the trike as 34 in wide so unless the trike can fold up it may be difficult to get it in . I also think the op stated he has 2 trikes which I don't think you will find any fg trailer to hold them but I do have a solution , buy 2 HC1s lol
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:26 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
...I also think the op stated he has 2 trikes which I don't think you will find any fg trailer to hold them but I do have a solution , buy 2 HC1s lol
Since they are trikes, I see no reason both wouldn't fit into one HC1 if they were loaded side-by-side in opposite directions. But there wouldn't be much space left for beds, galley, etc., so it rather defeats the point of a travel trailer.

I believe Chariot Manufacturing makes some nice molded fiberglass cargo trailers in various sizes. Might be able to finish one out according to your needs.

Again, the OP hasn't told us what he wants the trailer to do, besides carry the tricycles…

Personally I like Floyd's suggestion best. Start with an older 13'er with a flat (or mostly flat) bathtub floor and put it on a larger trailer, or have a custom frame fabricated. The photo shows a Hunter Compact Jr. on a custom frame with an extended tongue to carry a motorcycle. With the trikes stored outside the trailer, you'd have full use of the trailer at all times. If security or protection from the elements is important, you might be able to find or fabricate some kind of lightweight shell to cover the trikes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CompactJr.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	94691
Old 05-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
But the bikes are 34"X72"
I missed the TRIKE, I thought it said recumbent bikes. I stand corrected!
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #20

Name: Joe
Trailer: building
Georgia
concealed carry

i have a carrying bag for my folding bike.
i think i will make one for my trike when it is finished.
i'm thinking a z-shaped bar with handle near the middle mounted to the side of the trike.
then i can just carry it standing up on one side through the door of the house.
bikes have a nasty habit of disappearing around here.
out of sight, out of mind?

wessonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote