Looking for fiberglass trailer that sleeps at least 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: Kristin
Trailer: Shopping for fiberglass that sleeps 8
Oklahoma
Looking for fiberglass trailer that sleeps at least 7

Hello everyone I am completely new to travel trailers. We are a big family of 6 and counting on more. We are looking for a trailer that sleeps at least 7 so we have room to grow. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Ford transit 350 van wagon that is rated to tow up to 3800lbs. I want a simple trailer and don't need a bathroom just a hard sided trailer for sleeping. We plan to do cooking and dining outside so we really don't need an elaborate kitchen. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. I haven't been able to find a fiberglass trailer that is under 3500lbs and sleeps 7.
BigFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I suppose it depends on how big they are. There are no molded fiberglass trailers that are designed to sleep 7+. But if the kids are small, you might fit two on a single bed or three in a double bed. As they outgrow that arrangement, tents or the tow vehicle can provide additional berths.

It is not easy to find the layouts with extra beds. Most actually sold are set up for couples.

A Casita Spirit 17 Standard w/ side bunk option sounds like your best bet. It has a 54" double bed at the back and two folding bunks- side and front- providing four additional berths. It has a small galley for bad weather days but no bathroom. Technically it sleeps six, but the rear bed could probably fit three smaller children. I've never seen one actually built that way, but I believe it can be ordered. You could call Casita and ask.

Bottom line is you're going to have to get creative if you are set on a molded fiberglass trailer. Tent trailers are easier to find with plenty of space. But they have their disadvantages.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Don't forget you will have a terrific second bedroom...your van. You can buy seats for vans that fold down flat into beds.

You could even create a shelter link between the van and the trailer by adapting one of the SUV tents. I have done something along those lines in the past with a cargo trailer and a van so that the van benefited being cooled from the air conditioner unit in the cargo trailer. The cargo trailer is setup as a mobile workshop/office and the van functions as the bedroom. There is no reason something along those lines could not work for your growing family. That would give potentially give you three bedroom areas and also a daytime rainy day kitchen area with play room space inside the SUV tent. But at minimum I would suggest that you get a room that goes underneath an awning canopy. Get something bug proof with zippered window panels for rainy days and bedroom privacy at night time.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
My Lil Hauley could be set up to sleep 7. It's the same outer shell as a Lil Snoozy, only mine was purchased with no interior. The front part is ready for a queen mattress, and it would be simple to build bunks along the walls. Current weight should be about 1400 lbs. Asking $6900.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-76877.html
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Your constraints (relatively low tow rating and high sleeping capacity) really don't work, unless some of the kids are OK with a tent. True weight of the Casita will likely push or exceed your tow limit. Check weight limits on bunks. Bunks will be small.

People that pick trailers based on current tow vehicle can end up disappointed. Better to find the trailer that meets your needs first and then shop for the vehicle to pull it.

Two vehicles pulling two trailers, four people each is more like it. Or several people in tents, plus a trailer for four as a "base camp" could work. When I was growing up, mom and dad got the camper, and us kids got a tent.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
I am not sure how others progressed but this was our progression of camping:

1 Happily married, just the two of us-------Tent, air mattresses and bags, went on a whim, had a blast.

2 First child showed up-----------------------We got a small popup, loved the convenience of throwing stuff in and were relatively dry with a semi comfortable bed

3 More kids showed up-----------------------We got bigger popup and began hating the fact that you had to load all the junk for the weekend inside with it raised up, as well as airing it out after the humid rainy weekend.

4 Kids got to be about 11-12-----------------We dragged popup, kids began sleeping outside in a tent. We started to really hate the shortcomings of a popup, like not being able to load the fridge with food and beer until you got to destination. (How come they just don't make the fridge door with access to the outside? Somebody will steal the beer?)

5 Youngest kid was about 8-9----------------They started sleeping in tent with older siblings and we began to ask "Why are we dragging this popup?" End of weekend was airing out the popup and emptying the contents, cleaning up the mud.

6 Last kid turned about 11-12----------------We started to want easy convenience of being packed, ready to go. We wanted to have a light weight RV we could pull to fit these demands. Wife wanted her own bathroom, I wanted AC on a whim, more security for remote places. We started looking for A-frame style popups and the dream, an Airstream. A-Frames still meant we could not load up easy or stop on the side of road to use bathroom or make lunch in back easily. Looked at a few Airstream picks on web and found a few pics of Scamps & Casita's. We said what's that? Started searching casually, then hard, then harder, then even harder every hour to be the first caller with money in hand, ready to go in a few seconds. Finally got to be first in line, got one! Last kid slept in the FG RV with us for a few years and now wants nothing to do with us, but will come along once or twice a year with siblings and sleep in tents.

7) We are back to married bliss with a slightly larger, more comfortable FG RV, ready to go on a whim, with all the comforts of home on the road. Cheap traveling, no hotels, no bedbugs to bring home, and we really see and live the sights. The kids join us once or twice a year, in tents.

You guys are way ahead of the game. You are skipping steps 1-5.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We know a couple with a 19 ft Scamp. It has a sign by the door that says, "Sleeps 8 ...... 2 at a time!"
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Trailer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
We know a couple with a 19 ft Scamp. It has a sign by the door that says, "Sleeps 8 ...... 2 at a time!"

Since Ringling Brothers Circus is going out of business, they may have one of their Clown Trailers for sale. Although only 13 ' long, they sleep up to 12 !
David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #9

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Texas
Registry
Weight limits

I understand that the towable weight to include the passengers and trailer and gear. Is that the way it is calculated? For a family of 7, I would guess might be 600lbs. Add trailer of 1500 - 2000 lbs then food, chairs and gear. I would get a bigger tow vehicle.
macmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmarilyn View Post
I understand that the towable weight to include the passengers and trailer and gear. Is that the way it is calculated? For a family of 7, I would guess might be 600lbs. Add trailer of 1500 - 2000 lbs then food, chairs and gear. I would get a bigger tow vehicle.
Not exactly. The tow rating assumes a driver and front seat passenger, but not additional passengers and cargo. Gear carried in the trailer is part of towed weight. Passengers and cargo in the vehicle are not, but they may bring you up against other limits, including GVWR, GCWR, and GAWR. You are correct in the sense that you can't load up the van with additional passengers and cargo and still tow the full rated trailer weight.

I would expect a Casita 17S (standard) to weigh 2800-3000 pounds fully loaded. That leaves an 800-1000 pound margin. Removing one LP tank would help on weight and, especially, tongue weight. Use of a weight distributing hitch would prevent overloading the rear axle. The Ford Transit 350 is a full-size RWD van and a pretty stout vehicle, and I think this set-up is possible and safe. To be sure, additional information about GVWR, GCWR, etc. is needed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #11

Name: sjpeach
Trailer: currently shopping
New Jersey
Dear Vtec, cutest thing I have read in a while..............SJ
sjpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpeach View Post
Dear Vtec, cutest thing I have read in a while..............SJ
Awwwwwww peach, you are killing me....just illustrating the circle of camping life.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #13

Name: Kristin
Trailer: Shopping for fiberglass that sleeps 8
Oklahoma
Everyone thanks so much for your responses, ideas and suggestions! I love the suv tent idea and had never thought about the custom seat in van that makes into bed. At this point we are looking at the 19' escapes. They don't have the carpeted walls of a casita or the fur of the scamp. My kids would trash out those fuzzy walls in no time, so we definitely need smooth scrubable walls. 3/4 of my kids are willing to bed share at this point and oldest wants to sleep on the floor so its a win win!! When we have more kids my husband says he will do van or tent camping with the older kids.
Reading my manual the tow weight is actually 4,200 even with the van loaded (van max weight was different and not included in the tow) and the escape is around 3,000 dry weight so we would be pretty maxed out once we loaded up all the gear and added in the fridge and accessories.
Mike I'll check out your Lil Hauley for sale. I love the idea of being able to add our own mattress and configure our own sleeping space! Smooth furless/carpetless walls are a priority.
I also like the cargo trailer with ac idea, since basically all we need is a climate controlled sleep space. If it's a bad weather day we can grill under a cover and sped the day at a museum or something. I try to encourage the kids to rough it and not be afraid of a little rain. When I was in middle school we took a trip to Yellowstone and it rained for several of the days. We all wore a poncho and it didn't stop our outdoor explorations that week!
BigFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #14

Registry
Forget dry weight, it's a joke. Actual weight will be much higher! Check the sticky thread in real life weights. Figure 3600 to 4000 pounds.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Your problem is 20 Lbs of luggage for each person and a chair for each person. Then you run up against food issues unless all you eat are S'mores and jiffy pop and drink campground water. Now where are you going to store all this stuff with a full van of people and an empty trailer pushing max weight? I feel for you but you need a motor home towing your trailer or 2 cars towing 2 trailers. Best to rent a family cabin at a campsite.

Maybe rent a houseboat for your family vacation.

Where we camp there are trailer services. You book your site and rent a trailer fit for the whole family. No towing, no pack up, no set up and no clean up and storage. Maybe an option where you want to camp.

Luv 2 Camp Trailer Rentals Available Trailers. Camping Trailer You Rent We Deliver.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #16

Registry
You will have to be creative for sure, but I think it is doable. Roof top carrier on the van, does each person have a bike? Bike carrier on front of van for four bikes, carrier on back of trailer for four more. Carry as little as you can, do laundry when traveling. Four to six in the trailer, oldest kids outside in a tent or two.

Front dinette is 44 x 80, could fit three smaller kids. Two adults on the rear bed.

As much as possible, plan to spend time outside under the awning or possibly add a canopy.

Count on picnic table to provide some seating. Obviously, you will have to be very flexible and pack light!

In "the good old days" when I was growing up, we had a family of five camping in a 14 foot Shasta. No bathroom, rear gaucho for mom and dad, oldest sister up front on a converted dinette, and the two youngest on a sling bunk over the gaucho. Tight? You bet! Later kids ended up in tents, which lessened the load on the trailer. We didn't even have a frig, we had an ice box, so every day or two, off we went to buy a block of ice.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
A common window A/C could be added to the Hauley. The mfr cuts a hole in the back next to the door and they have a nice enclosure available for the part that sticks outside.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote