Looking for input on pulling a scamp w/toyota tacoma - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Whichever turns out to be the correct weight for the truck:

It should be pointed out that you evidently have a misunderstanding per the meaning of "GCWR" (In your case, 7440 pounds). That is the maximum load your truck can carry- it doesn't include the whole weight of the trailer.

The only part of trailer weight to be added to the truck's "gross" number is the tongue weight, which in the case of the Scamp you describe will be, say, 300 pounds or so. Tow capacity is a different number, usually given in the truck literature.

Even using the higher loaded weight number you've come up with of 5300 pounds before the trailer tongue, you've a margin of over 2,000 pounds of payload. It seems obvious to me that you've plenty of capacity there.

Finally, on a truck this size, I think it unlikely you'd have a "trailer weight limit" lower than the weight of the Scamp.

Francesca
You are the the one misunderstood, he is 100% right. GCWR is vehicle AND trailer. With 5300 lbs for the pickup and two people, and 2000 for the scamp, that's 7300 lbs, leaving him 140 pounds for food, water, clothes, all gear.

I will say that seems heavy. My 1/2 ton is under that. my '89 nissan v6 4x4 was 4300 lbs, IIRC. I pulled my race car on a car trailer with it, no problem.

You will be out of spec, almost guaranteed. How it will actually tow...you'll have to decide. I think it would handle it fine, but be underpowered.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #16

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhweiss View Post
Sticker on door jamb and registration say 4850, we figure about 150 for the fiberglass cap and about 300 for the 2 of us. That is how we arrived at the 5300 lbs.
Still trying to figure this one out (it concerns me, since I'm considering purchasing a Tacoma as a tow vehicle). I might have found the issue...

The number you quote (4850) is awfully close to the GVWR of the 2013. The 2013 4 cylinder 4x2 access cab has a GVWR of 4900 lbs.

Is that where the confusion lies? Is 4850 actually your GVWR instead of your curb weight? If so, that's not what it actually weighs, but the maximum it's rated for (that is, for safety you need to keep truck plus passengers plus cargo to less than 4850). GVWR is fairly irrelevant for towing.

If you want to make this sort of estimate, what you need to find is your curb weight -- that actual weight of the vehicle, as opposed to the maximum it's rated for. You can use the curb weight off the door (if it's there) or from the owner's manual, add in your estimate for the cap and passengers and any other gear you're carrying. Subtract that from GCWR and you'll have a reasonable estimate for what your vehicle is rated to tow.

Of course what it can *actually* tow is another argument...

Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Hilda and Dick,

If your NH town is like ours you can just drive your truck thru your transfer station and get its weight.

We did in Hampton. Our Scamp 16 ready for a years worth of travel with a half full water tank, one full propane tank, an inside air conditioner and everything two people need weighed 2431 lbs. Our 4 cylinder, 2.4L Honda CRV weighed 3949lbs with a full tank of gas.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #18

Name: Hilda & Dick
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire

dbailey, you hit the nail on the head. Just rechecked the sticker on the truck and the GVWR is 4900. The curb weight (GVW) is not on the sticker, only the fact that the truck can carry a max load of 1050 lbs. This morning we went to the local gravel pit and they were kind enough to weigh the truck. With us in it and 3/4 tank of gas it weighed 4160 lbs. Since the GCWR is 7440 that leaves us 3280 lbs for the trailer and anything else we put in it or the truck. We can certainly do that!!!!

We feel so much better, thank you all for your input. We are heading to Chicago for a wedding with a side trip to Minnesota to the Scamp factory. Perhap we will own something in the not too distant future. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #19

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Glad to hear everything works...
Old 03-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Glad you've gotten it figured out. Most 4 cyl Tacomas have a 3500 lb tow rating, so your 3280 figure makes complete sense.

Scamps tow more easily than boxy trailers (like mine) due to the rounded edges and corners, lower profile, and narrower body. I've seen comments from several Tacoma 4 cyl owners who tow eggs and they say the truck doesn't break any speed records but it gets the job done. From what I've gathered, the weakest point of the drive train is the rear differential gears, and if they ever did go out they can be replaced with larger ones. The engine and tranny are very good.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #21

Name: Gail
Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Arizona
I had a 6 cyl 2001 extended body Tacoma. It pulled my 17 foot Burro fairly well, but I went up hills and mountains in Colorado at 20-35mph. Only had slight problems with sway when passed by semis. I loved my Taco, but felt in the long run I was shortening its life. I said a sad goodbye to the Taco, and replaced it with a 5.7 liter V8 Tundra. Vast difference with the same mileage while towing, more comfortable, and power to spare. I would highly recommend you go with a Tundra with that size of trailer.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #22

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
Last year I weighed my Tundra 4.7 liter towing the Biggar. I'm rated 8500 total, so I was curious as to what my truck and trailer weighed. On the scale, loaded with my stuff, the truck came in at 3500 lbs with myself and my big dog, the trailer was also 3500. No problem pulling but I do know that the trailer is behind me.
Marina
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #23

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trail Mite
California

We haul our 13' Trailmite with a 2.7 Tacoma. While it is able to haul it fairly well we don't set any speed records, especially on grades. So personally I think that a 16' egg would overburden the lil 4-banger.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #24

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinab View Post
Last year I weighed my Tundra 4.7 liter towing the Biggar. I'm rated 8500 total, so I was curious as to what my truck and trailer weighed. On the scale, loaded with my stuff, the truck came in at 3500 lbs with myself and my big dog, the trailer was also 3500. No problem pulling but I do know that the trailer is behind me.
Marina
3500 seems awfully light for a Tundra. My Subaru Outback weighs more than that with me in it.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #25

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post

3500 seems awfully light for a Tundra. My Subaru Outback weighs more than that with me in it.
Agreed, my '89nissan was 4300 lbs.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
You didn't mention which model Tundra you had or what model year, but empty curb weight for 2013 Tundra's, per Toyta.com, is 4500 to 5100 lbs. That, plus any peeps and equipment in the truck, plus the trailer puts you at or over 8500 lbs
I'd check your truck weight again
Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #27

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I thought it was a bit light also but when I put the truck on the scale, I left it on till the numbers stablized and it read 3500. When I take it out at the end of April, I will weight it again just to make sure it wasn't the scale. My Tundra is a 2007, 4.7, the smaller of the two Tundras. It also has a canopy on it.
Marina
Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #28

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
This should help:
Attached Thumbnails
Tundra.JPG  

Tags
scamp