Looking for input on pulling a scamp w/toyota tacoma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Name: Hilda & Dick
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Looking for input on pulling a scamp w/toyota tacoma

We are new to this site, thinking about purchasing a 16' Side Dinette Scamp. We have a 2 wheel drive. 2.7 L engine Toyota Tacoma Access Cab with a cap. We figure that the weight of the truck, cap and the 2 of us is in the vicinity of 5300 lbs. The owner's manual says the GCWR (which we understand to be the weight of the truck, trailer, people and gear) is 7440 lbs. Since the Scamp is about 2000 lbs without gear, water, whatever, we are concerned that the truck might not be able to tow the Scamp.

Will this combination work or are we going to be bogged down/over weight?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.

Hilda & Dick
rhweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Hilda & Dick, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here!

I'll leave the question you asked to the experts. I just wanted to pop in and say
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The 5300# sounds heavy - a 2013 only weighs 3600#.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #4

New Hampshire
Thanks for the welcome. What do you pull your Scamp with?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhweiss View Post
Thanks for the welcome. What do you pull your Scamp with?
2000 Ford F-150 Triton V8.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

New Hampshire
Sticker on door jamb and registration say 4850, we figure about 150 for the fiberglass cap and about 300 for the 2 of us. That is how we arrived at the 5300 lbs.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I happen to have the brochure for the 2013 Tacoma right beside my chair here (don't ask). It lists curb weight ranging from 3600-4000lbs, depending on engine & transmission. 800 lbs difference for a different model year seems like a lot, but it's not out of the question. Regardless, that door sticker *should* be correct. But, along the lines of an "are you sure your computer is plugged in" question: is there any chance you misread the sticker?
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
I tow a Scamp 19 with a 4cyl Toy it does just fine. I don't speed and I do not tow in OD. Welcome to fiberglass world
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #9

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Welcome!

The most accurate thing you can do is stop at a weigh scale along the highway. When they are unoccupied, the scales are left on.

Bring along whatever you think you may take with you in the truck (including occupants) and find out the exact weight.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
The owner's manual says the GCWR (which we understand to be the weight of the truck, trailer, people and gear) is 7440 lbs. Since the Scamp is about 2000 lbs without gear, water, whatever, we are concerned that the truck might not be able to tow the Scamp.

Hilda & Dick
Whichever turns out to be the correct weight for the truck:

It should be pointed out that you evidently have a misunderstanding per the meaning of "GCWR" (In your case, 7440 pounds). That is the maximum load your truck can carry- it doesn't include the whole weight of the trailer.

The only part of trailer weight to be added to the truck's "gross" number is the tongue weight, which in the case of the Scamp you describe will be, say, 300 pounds or so. Tow capacity is a different number, usually given in the truck literature.

Even using the higher loaded weight number you've come up with of 5300 pounds before the trailer tongue, you've a margin of over 2,000 pounds of payload. It seems obvious to me that you've plenty of capacity there.

Finally, on a truck this size, I think it unlikely you'd have a "trailer weight limit" lower than the weight of the Scamp.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Maybe if you tell us what year your Tacoma is we will be better able to help. I notived that there is a wide range of weights between 2005 and 2013 Tacomas with extended cab.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
It should be pointed out that you evidently have a misunderstanding per the meaning of "GCWR" (In your case, 7440 pounds). That is the maximum load your truck can carry- it doesn't include the whole weight of the trailer.
Francesca
I believe rhweiss's understanding is correct. The GCWR is the maximum rated sum total weight of the two vehicles (hence "Gross *Combined* Weight Rating"). The GVWR is the maximum rated weight of the TV and contents.

For one reference, see Ford Vehicle Glossary | The Official Site of Ford Vehicles | Ford.com.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Say, I just woke up and it does look like that would be a lot of payload for any half-ton, no matter the mill. Leaving the alphabet behind for a moment, I think your Taco will know the trailer is back there, certainly when the road goes up. 80% of 3500lb (the no. I got for the extended cab version)=2800lb. That's pretty close to recorded curb weights for Scamp 16s. Looks to me that it's rated to do the job at first glance. Will the job it does satisfy you? I have no idea. When I think 1-1/2 ton behind, I think 4Litre six and larger.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #14

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Harry the original owner of my ParkLiner had a Toyota Tacoma, and he had no problem towin the ParkLiner and its 2200lbs dry so I think You will probably be fine....you could get your car weighed to see what it really weighs

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Whichever turns out to be the correct weight for the truck:

The only part of trailer weight to be added to the truck's "gross" number is the tongue weight, which in the case of the Scamp you describe will be, say, 300 pounds or so. Tow capacity is a different number, usually given in the truck literature.

Even using the higher loaded weight number you've come up with of 5300 pounds before the trailer tongue, you've a margin of over 2,000 pounds of payload. It seems obvious to me that you've plenty of capacity there.

Finally, on a truck this size, I think it unlikely you'd have a "trailer weight limit" lower than the weight of the Scamp.

Francesca
You are the the one misunderstood, he is 100% right. GCWR is vehicle AND trailer. With 5300 lbs for the pickup and two people, and 2000 for the scamp, that's 7300 lbs, leaving him 140 pounds for food, water, clothes, all gear.

I will say that seems heavy. My 1/2 ton is under that. my '89 nissan v6 4x4 was 4300 lbs, IIRC. I pulled my race car on a car trailer with it, no problem.

You will be out of spec, almost guaranteed. How it will actually tow...you'll have to decide. I think it would handle it fine, but be underpowered.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #16

Ontario
Quote:
Sticker on door jamb and registration say 4850, we figure about 150 for the fiberglass cap and about 300 for the 2 of us. That is how we arrived at the 5300 lbs.
Still trying to figure this one out (it concerns me, since I'm considering purchasing a Tacoma as a tow vehicle). I might have found the issue...

The number you quote (4850) is awfully close to the GVWR of the 2013. The 2013 4 cylinder 4x2 access cab has a GVWR of 4900 lbs.

Is that where the confusion lies? Is 4850 actually your GVWR instead of your curb weight? If so, that's not what it actually weighs, but the maximum it's rated for (that is, for safety you need to keep truck plus passengers plus cargo to less than 4850). GVWR is fairly irrelevant for towing.

If you want to make this sort of estimate, what you need to find is your curb weight -- that actual weight of the vehicle, as opposed to the maximum it's rated for. You can use the curb weight off the door (if it's there) or from the owner's manual, add in your estimate for the cap and passengers and any other gear you're carrying. Subtract that from GCWR and you'll have a reasonable estimate for what your vehicle is rated to tow.

Of course what it can *actually* tow is another argument...
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Hilda and Dick,

If your NH town is like ours you can just drive your truck thru your transfer station and get its weight.

We did in Hampton. Our Scamp 16 ready for a years worth of travel with a half full water tank, one full propane tank, an inside air conditioner and everything two people need weighed 2431 lbs. Our 4 cylinder, 2.4L Honda CRV weighed 3949lbs with a full tank of gas.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #18

New Hampshire

dbailey, you hit the nail on the head. Just rechecked the sticker on the truck and the GVWR is 4900. The curb weight (GVW) is not on the sticker, only the fact that the truck can carry a max load of 1050 lbs. This morning we went to the local gravel pit and they were kind enough to weigh the truck. With us in it and 3/4 tank of gas it weighed 4160 lbs. Since the GCWR is 7440 that leaves us 3280 lbs for the trailer and anything else we put in it or the truck. We can certainly do that!!!!

We feel so much better, thank you all for your input. We are heading to Chicago for a wedding with a side trip to Minnesota to the Scamp factory. Perhap we will own something in the not too distant future. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #19

Ontario
Glad to hear everything works...
Old 03-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Glad you've gotten it figured out. Most 4 cyl Tacomas have a 3500 lb tow rating, so your 3280 figure makes complete sense.

Scamps tow more easily than boxy trailers (like mine) due to the rounded edges and corners, lower profile, and narrower body. I've seen comments from several Tacoma 4 cyl owners who tow eggs and they say the truck doesn't break any speed records but it gets the job done. From what I've gathered, the weakest point of the drive train is the rear differential gears, and if they ever did go out they can be replaced with larger ones. The engine and tranny are very good.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp