Looking for something I can pull with my CR-V - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #21

Name: Linda
Trailer: in the market
California
Thank you for all the advice as I am not so knowledgeable about certain trailers. I'm loving all the recommendations and appreciate any input. I thought I posted just a moment ago. I have 2013 CRV. I was told by the gal who renovates the Scamps that I would have no problem pulling a
13 ft.

I just looked up the Little Joe and that looks like all I need. I also heard the Perris Pacer is lightweight as well.
lynkazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkazy View Post
I have a 2013 CR-V. I haven't heard of a Little Joe. Will look into that. What about a Perris Pacer? That is 900 lbs is what I was told.

The gal who was going to sell me a Scamp she fixed up said my car would be able to tow it. She wanted a little more than what I want to pay so I didn't buy it.
Can you tow it and SHOULD you tow it are two completely different things...please keep that in mind...my concerns are for you and the general publics safety not to mention your tow vehicles longevity...also, consider whether you will be towing on strictly flat ground or do you see mountains on the horizon...pay now or pay (exorbitanly) later...the choice remains yours................
madjack

p.s. a person selling you something may not have YOUR best interests at heart...or even worse, truly hasn't a clue............mj
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We had a 2011 CRV and bought a lightweight 2014 Scamp13 and pulled it without much trouble.

After searching for a used Scamp13 without success, we realized that there was little financial downside to purchasing new and configuring the trailer
to be as light as seemed practical. We realized that at resale, we shouldn't
lose too much money.

We left off the top-mounted AC, the furnace, the bathroom (with associated black tank, hot water heater, etc.), the awning, the wood interior, etc.

We did get the options package (refrigerator, screen door, two burner stove,
etc.) and we splurged on extra electrical outlets, lights, and overhead cabinets for clothes, etc.

Configuring a lightweight but enjoyable Scamp13 can be done. We did it.
Just be very mindful of the weight of any/all "nice to have" options. Think
minimalist.

When towing with a 4cyl automatic CRV, we often would tow using
the D3 button on the shifter to lock out the higher gears. Although the
engine sound will be a little different from the higher RPMs, the CRV
did OK for the most part. Hilly terrain and higher winds did cause a serious
loss in miles per gallon from our usual 18-19 mpg.

IIRC, the 2012 CRV was rated as having 5 more horsepower than our

Best of luck to you!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #24

California
Thank you. Definitely understand that.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #25

California
Thank you for responding. It is a lot to think about. Got a hitch and everything on my CR-V and was pretty excited but I have a lot to look into. I am glad I'm just starting out looking since I am in no rush.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
While it may be possible to configure a Scamp to fit within your tow limit, you can forget a bathroom, air conditioner, and probably a refrigerator too.

And if you can get the trailer to somehow meet the 1500 pound limit, I really doubt you will be able to meet the 150 pound tongue weight limit. Typical tongue weight is 13% of trailer weight. If the tongue weight is too low, you end up with serious handling problems like trailer sway.

I thought about towing a trailer behind our Element (same drivetrain as the CRV). In the end, I was looking at motorcycle popup campers, like the Bunkhouse brand.

If you look at the spreadsheet trailer weights in the real world you will see Scamp 13s over 1500 pounds and over 150 pound tongue weight. Manufacturer dry weights are misleading at best.

The fact that others may have exceeded the weight limits of their tow vehicles is a personal decision and one I would not recommend.
Although most vehicles' hitch weight rating is 10% of the tow rating (like 3500/350), this is not always true. Hitch weight rating is based on things like rear suspension, hitch receiver stoutness, and receiver attachment. If the vehicle in question has a higher tow rating when equipped differently (V6 for example), you can bet that the hitch weight rating remains higher even for the 4-cylinder. In other words, the rating might be 1500 lbs tow and 350 lbs hitch weight.

Then there are the unusual ones. I did a double-take when I saw that my Lexus GX, with 6500 lb tow rating, is ok with over 900 lbs on the hitch when WD is used!

After reading for years about Norm and Ginny towing their 16' Scamp for tens of thousands of miles with their CR-V 4-banger, I have some respect for that particular vehicle! Although I think Norm has a very light foot and never pushes the vehicle hard or fast... as reflected by their great gas mileage numbers with both the CR-V and their current Oddy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #27

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkazy View Post
Thank you. I will just try and keep looking as much as I can. I wish the gal who I know that gets them would just charge me a finder's fee but she makes her money fixing them up so all the power to her.
She might well be the reason you are not finding an affordable one locally. When you flip trailers for a living you get very good at knowing how to locate one. It is quite likely she has a waiting list of persons who want her to find and renovate a Scamp for them. So you are not going to have an easy time of it beating her to the next nearby Scamp that gets listed.

For instance she has most likely created custom alerts on craigslist and on other sites that immediately alert her by email whenever a Scamp within a reasonable driving distance gets posted for sale. I would suggest that you do that as well. She is also likely a member of the forums where you find them posted for sale such as this one, vintage trailer forums, Sisters on the Fly, etc. By subscribing to the threads of the for sale items any member can get an email alert when new things are posted.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #28

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
I tow with a 13' Trillium with 4 cylinder Ford Escape with an automatic transmission. It's rated for 1500.

I have installed a transmission cooler and also brakes and brake controller.

I can't recommend towing with this set up. You must be very careful with the transmission and engine. Finding the "right" gear in an automatic means adjusting gears and RPMs with the gas pedal. You have to be very wary of any hills (no matter the size) and the speed in which you start the hill and the [slow] speed you will finish at.

I've towed only for the summer but already looking to upgrade. You don't need something with a huge towing capacity. But 1500lbs just isn't ideal. The engine and transmission just aren't up to towing.

Towing that much weight with a front wheel drive sucks too. You lose a lot of traction on the wheels that power AND steer. Not ideal.

Can you? Yes.
Should you? Not really.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Although most vehicles' hitch weight rating is 10% of the tow rating (like 3500/350), this is not always true. Hitch weight rating is based on things like rear suspension, hitch receiver stoutness, and receiver attachment. If the vehicle in question has a higher tow rating when equipped differently (V6 for example), you can bet that the hitch weight rating remains higher even for the 4-cylinder. In other words, the rating might be 1500 lbs tow and 350 lbs hitch weight.

Published tongue weight for that year CRV was 150 pounds. But by all means, verify in your owners manual.

With a tongue weight limit of 150 pounds and a tow rating of 1500 pounds, the choice is either get a trailer that fits within the manufacturers limits or don't. I've seen some crazy towing situations like the Honda Fit pulling a Boler trailer (Honda Fit has zero tow rating).

People are welcome to choose either path. But what someone else is willing to do should not dictate what you do. And people selling trailers are NOT a good source of towing recommendations. Each have their own biases (yes I do too) and then you have the desire on their part to complete the deal. The last time we took the seller's tow recommendation (RV dealer by the way), we were grossly under rated for the job, and after a couple of scary towing moments, we upgraded tow vehicle.

You also do not know what conditions others are towing under. Speed, grades, terrain, etc. People can tow in flatland areas for years without an issue, then come to the mountains and have a WTF moment.

Small SUVs were not meant to be towing machines. They were built for economy, room, and to meet a price point.

And be sure to check the sticker on your door that will show maximum payload. The payload limit on the CRV is relatively low, and depending on how many passengers you carry, and the gear you plan to put in the car, you could run up against that limit. Realize to keep the trailer weight as low as possible, stuff that most would load into the trailer is going to be loaded into your car.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #30

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Looking for something I can pull with my CR-V

Having told you that we did it, I would agree with others that any 1500 rated tow vehicle might be less than ideal in the long term.

For us, the beauty of being able to tow a Scamp13 with our CRV was that, with minimum financial risk, we were once again able to experience camping and determine that we still enjoyed it .... even more than we did with our previous Starcraft pop-up trailer.

Using the CRV and Scamp13 also allowed us to determine what trailer features were most suited to our camping/traveling style and what we might want in a future trailer and tow vehicle.

I would also concur with the previous recommendation of a transmission oil cooler and trailer brakes.

If you get a new Scamp13, knowing that you might have a more powerful tow vehicle in the future, I would suggest that you might want to prep/reinforce the roof for a possible future AC unit. If the basic structure of the trailer allows, many kinds options (AC, awning, furnace, etc) can be fairly easily be added later ..... or you may find that you really didn't need those things after all.

It seems like everything changes over time. I doubt that the CRV will be the last car you will ever buy and it may be doubtful that a Scamp13 will be the last trailer that you ever buy. With the high resale values of both the CRV and FGRV trailers, the financial risk for a sub-optimal decision shouldn't be a huge concern.

As you have already done with this forum, do some research, make the best decision that you can in the near future, and try to enjoy the experience.

Wishing you good luck with your research and decisions and many years of safe and happy travels!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #31

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDunbar View Post

Towing that much weight with a front wheel drive sucks too. You lose a lot of traction on the wheels that power AND steer. Not ideal.
Can you? Yes.
Should you? Not really.
A lot of the CRVs are all wheel drive. It is a very popular option that dealers order to put on their lots especially in locations where there are a lot of outdoor types such as California and also in areas where there is snow to deal with
This kind of thing gets to be confusing for people responding when they are not overly familiar with the make and model of a car the person who posted the thread owns. Of course the person posting might not know that it is an advantage to have AWD for towing so they may say nothing about having it or not.

I have a Honda Element, the fraternal twin to the CRV, it does not mind towing my 13' travel trailer. If I drive sensibly and don't overload what I put inside my car and trailer it is not going to kill my car. It is AWD
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #32

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Right. Forgot that the CRV comes in AWD. So does the Escape. That addresses the traction but not the engine and transmission.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #33
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The tow package for the typical 4 cylinder 1500lb rated SUV like the CRV, the Forester, etc. typically includes a 4 pin adapter for trailer lights. Many states require trailer brakes for a trailer over 1000 lbs but I've yet to hear of a dealership that will install the extra wiring. I suspect the manufacturers intent is to accomodate a utility trailer for the occasional dump run or a small boat not a travel trailer. Also be aware that the after market hitches may not be attached the same way the OEM hitch is. This was the case when I set up my Subaru, an experiment that didn't last long.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #34

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
my insurance company asked what tow vehicle i was using when i added my casita trailer policy. not sure if every company does that, but i'm pretty sure they aren't about to pay for any damages caused by someone towing unsafely. for me, it's priority number 1 that i'm safe on the roads, for me, my rig and others. i would not want to do something "because i can but really shouldn't". just more food for thought
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #35

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I think I found you the perfect tow-able trailer. With 4 wheels, the tongue weight shouldn't be a problem...

Sorry, I had to do it. Just my sick sense of humor.
Attached Thumbnails
radioflyer.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #36

California
Good to know. Thank you. I will try that since I am busy and can't always get on here to take a look.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #37

California
This is the one!!! LOL
Old 09-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #38

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
https://www.tpesonline.com/folding-utility-wagon
I get the joke. However, for many situations, campers can't beat these foldable little red (blue) wagons for toting groceries, laundry, stuff to the beach, a picnic, or maybe a propane tank or water container. I suppose a grandchild would fit. Some hold 225 lbs, fold to about 2'x2'x8" and weigh 20-25 lbs. Prices and features vary, so shop around. They start around $50.

Attached Thumbnails
Red Wagon.jpeg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #39

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Compacts and the cousins like Donna said.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #40

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Well I just had to join in with some info , not from the manual , not from what my cousin overheard at the local Waffle House, but from actual experience. We towed a 13 foot Uhaul, total weight 1480 pounds ( Frederick weighed it at Bandon ) with a 2008 Crv with AWD for many years. We live in Idaho , hence we towed over the Cascades, Rockies and many local high passes. Gas mileage was 14 to 15 ish . I never felt we were terribly underpowered nor did we hold up long lines of traffic on the passes as we were always able to maintain reasonable speed. We towed easily 15,000 miles annually and when we traded the CRV in it was in excellent condition with 95,000 miles . I would not tow a trailer that did not have trailer brakes with the CRV. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote