Looking for something I can pull with my CR-V - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: in the market
California
Looking for something I can pull with my CR-V

Hello.

My name is Linda. I am looking to buy a 13ft Scamp. I would like to start camping more often and just need something small and lightweight. It's very hard to locate a used one without being out of state.
lynkazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Yes, your CRV should be able to pull a 13 ft Scamp, or Casita, or SOB (Some Other Brand) Does the CRV have 4 cylinder or 6 Cylinder engine?
See your owners manual.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Try the classifieds here, and Craigslist. Never send cash for a trailer you or someone you trust hasn't seen. There are frauds. I think you may be able to find a buyer's checklist if you search here. Be ready to pounce. Good luck.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

California
Thank you for your replies. My CR-V is a 4 cylinder and I have been told it could pull 1,500 lbs.

There is a gal in my neighborhood who buys vintage Scamps and then renovates them and then sells them. I don't want to spend a lot of money and if I can fix one up, I would rather do that.

I will check the classifieds. I am in no rush so I will continue my search.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #5

California
My CR-V is a 4 cylinder so I am told I can pull up to 1,500 lbs.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #6

California
I am still getting used to the site. I will search the classifieds here. I also have been looking on Craigslist. Some people just don't respond. Very frustrating. Thank you
Old 09-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynkazy View Post
I am still getting used to the site. I will search the classifieds here. I also have been looking on Craigslist. Some people just don't respond. Very frustrating. Thank you
You should steel yourself for some additional frustration in your search for a 13' trailer. They are in pretty high demand right now, so good ones fairly priced tend to disappear quickly, and some sellers feel justified in slapping a high price on a project trailer with lots of issues.

But don't despair. In spite of pessimistic prognostications from myself and others, one forum newbie recently managed to snag a very nice Scamp at a bargain price in two days from first post.

Just be prepared to kiss a frog or two... and walk away if it doesn't turn into a prince.

The smaller 13' trailers can easily exceed 1500 pounds loaded for travel, so you'll need to look for one without heavy options or modifications. You'll also need to pack lightly, including the vehicle, as tow ratings typically assume only 1 or 2 passengers and minimal cargo. Check the towing section of your owner's manual for all the caveats on that 1500 pound rating. One thing I'm sure you'll find is a requirement for trailer brakes. Not all 13'ers have them.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #8

California
Thank you. I will just try and keep looking as much as I can. I wish the gal who I know that gets them would just charge me a finder's fee but she makes her money fixing them up so all the power to her.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I spent most of a year trying to find my Scamp 13 and got fed up looking. Since I work I couldn't jump fast enough to get one unless it was a piece of trash.

So I resorted to running a want ad on this site and a couple of others. Posted what I wanted and how much I was willing to pay. Compared to some I paid a little more but the trailer I bought was fairly local was what I wanted, complete and unmolested. So it turned out good for me.

Sellers don't want to deal with low ballers and trailer flippers and most would not want to deal with placing ad's. If your in a fair market range people will be willing to help you get the trailer you want.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #10

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
the dry weight of the 13ft casita patriot deluxe is 1880lbs and that is before adding any water or personal items. casita stopped production on this model around christmas 2016.
I don't know what the dry weight of the 13ft scamp is, but i suspect it is more than your 1500lb tow limit. IMHO it is going to be very difficult to find a fiberglass trailer that meets the tow limit of your vehicle. you might need to consider another type of rig or another tow vehicle that is more appropriate. best of luck in your search
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Look at the UHaul 13'. 1250 lbs. dry, it's probably one of the lightest 13 footers out there.
My ranger is rated at 1,300 lbs for towing but it struggles to get up ANY hill pulling.
Your CRV probably would fare better than the Ranger but you'll be at your 1,500 lbs. before you know it!.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
There seems to be an almost never-ending cycle of people on the forums who are continually seeking advice on trying to find a trailer that they can tow with vehicles that are, for all intents and purposes, undersized and woefully inadequate for the job. Worse yet, is when I often read "reassuring" responses from owners that say that they've towed "such and such trailer" with a 3 horse lawnmower engine uni-body vehicle and how great it was. I want to cringe. It just brings to mind the circus stunt of the strongman pulling a bus with a rope in his mouth on a flat runway. Well, I want to see him pull it up a six mile long 7% uphill grade on a 7,000' mountain pass, then I'll be convinced how great it is, and certainly not before. A lot of poor information being provided by a select few, touting that such hook-ups are just so great. IMO, bad advice!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm thinking with a 1500lb limit it might be best to look at the Compacts or the Hunter cousins. They typically come in loaded for camping lighter than the other 13' trailers.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #14

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
There seems to be an almost never-ending cycle of people on the forums who are continually seeking advice on trying to find a trailer that they can tow with vehicles that are, for all intents and purposes, undersized and woefully inadequate for the job. Worse yet, is when I often read "reassuring" responses from owners that say that they've towed "such and such trailer" with a 3 horse lawnmower engine uni-body vehicle and how great it was. I want to cringe. It just brings to mind the circus stunt of the strongman pulling a bus with a rope in his mouth on a flat runway. Well, I want to see him pull it up a six mile long 7% uphill grade on a 7,000' mountain pass, then I'll be convinced how great it is, and certainly not before. A lot of poor information being provided by a select few, touting that such hook-ups are just so great. IMO, bad advice!
$ POP $...that is the sound of my pin popping your balloon...AND, echoing everything Greg is telling you...your tow vehicle is inadequate for towing a travel trailer...do yourself a favor and everyone else on the road and get your self something which will SAFELY tow...I am not trying to give you a hard time, I am trying to save your life, the life of your vehicle and the lives of those on the hiway around you. This will prevent much frustration, resulting in a disappointing camping experience...as always the choice is yours...choose wisely...like the man said...pay me now or pay me later..........
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Gotta pretty much agree with Donna and madjack. We have a 2012 CRV and a Campster, which is one of the "cousins". We are at about 2600# loaded. We thought about small trips with the CRV, but no way.

In all fairness to this family of trailers, ours has been heavily modified which may have added some weight. There may be some that are lighter, but you would still be pushing it.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am waiting for Norm to find his way in here?

Norm towed a 16' Scamp for years with his Gen 2 CRV and has no regrets that I know of.

In fact just the opposite and if you want someone to just tell you it might work I suggest you search here for some of the lengthy "Discussions" we had about it.

His CRV was a Manual tranny too.

Maybe you could tell us which exact CRV you do have?Year?
The newer ones do have more power but are still not rated for more towing load.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #17

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack View Post
$ POP $...that is the sound of my pin popping your balloon...AND, echoing everything Greg is telling you...your tow vehicle is inadequate for towing a travel trailer...do yourself a favor and everyone else on the road and get your self something which will SAFELY tow...I am not trying to give you a hard time, I am trying to save your life, the life of your vehicle and the lives of those on the hiway around you. This will prevent much frustration, resulting in a disappointing camping experience...as always the choice is yours...choose wisely...like the man said...pay me now or pay me later..........
madjack
i agree with you both, greg and madjack. i probably was a bit too mild with my response (posting 12), most of us with casitas consider a 5000lb tow rating to be the minimum (my tacoma has a 6500lb tow rating). anything less puts undue stress on the tow vehicle and may prove an unsafe situation. the weight of these trailers increases quickly when we start adding mods/water/personal belongings, etc. it's also important to weigh your rig/tongue before towing. some people are amazed at the weights they end up with.
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #18

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
If you insist on towing with a vehicle with a 1500 lb towing capacity, and you want molded fiberglass, I'd suggest something like a Little Joe. Just over 1000 lbs dry weight. That would give you some headroom for items you store in the trailer. Even at that, you should still look at the GCWR, and the GVWR of your car to make sure it works.

I find it a much better approach to find the trailer you like, and that fits your needs - then find a suitable tow vehicle if yours isn't up to the task.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I would personally have no concerns towing a basic, 13' Scamp with a CR-V. It is a study vehicle with a strong, reliable drivetrain. We actually own one, a 2006. For now we use our larger Pilot for towing duty because we travel with two teenagers, four bicycles, and lots of extra gear. Packed for all four of us we are at about 1750 pounds loaded. When it's just my wife and I, we should be able to whittle it down to around 1500 pounds. Our Scamp has a furnace, but no other major options.

Two caveats. One, trailer brakes are essential. Two, with an automatic you'll want an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
While it may be possible to configure a Scamp to fit within your tow limit, you can forget a bathroom, air conditioner, and probably a refrigerator too.

And if you can get the trailer to somehow meet the 1500 pound limit, I really doubt you will be able to meet the 150 pound tongue weight limit. Typical tongue weight is 13% of trailer weight. If the tongue weight is too low, you end up with serious handling problems like trailer sway.

I thought about towing a trailer behind our Element (same drivetrain as the CRV). In the end, I was looking at motorcycle popup campers, like the Bunkhouse brand.

If you look at the spreadsheet trailer weights in the real world you will see Scamp 13s over 1500 pounds and over 150 pound tongue weight. Manufacturer dry weights are misleading at best.

The fact that others may have exceeded the weight limits of their tow vehicles is a personal decision and one I would not recommend.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote