Looking for the right fg Trailer for Retirement Travels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: In the market
Michigan
Smile Looking for the right fg Trailer for Retirement Travels

Hi, I'm Kathy in Michigan, and I'm planning ahead for more travel in retirement. Hoping to find the perfect combo of van and fg trailer to visit with grown kids/family, living all over the map, kind people in RV Communities, National Parks, and exploring back roads on a budget . As I look at vehicles, I'm leaning toward Casita, but am open to other's on-the-road rvtrailer experience and expertise!
squierskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Kathy in Michigan. You're on the right track, doing your due diligence so you get the best combo for YOU. I strongly suggest you check out ALL the brands of all-molded-towables to find the right price point, options, size, weight and layout that will work best for you.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Come to algonac in sept where you'll see a variety of fg trailers
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Kathy Milkmay has the right advise. Attend gatherings so you can look inside a variety of trailers and talk to the owners about pros and cons for their particular make of trailer. Information gathered from brochures, photos and verbal endorsements is helpful but nothing helps like seeing and going inside the various trailers. Welcome aboard. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #5

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hello from the other end of the USA! We evolved retirement plans fro backpacking the AT, to a motorcycle popup Aspen camper, to a teardrop, and thence to a fiberglass trailer. When I started to research the only names I knew were Scamp and Casita- and they brought me to this site and I was overwhelmed with the variety! Actually eyeballing the trailers and if possible sitting on couches and in dinettes and stretching out on beds. On paper the R pod looked like the answer to our dreams but in person it was poorly arranged, too small (and we're not big people) and it would about taken an act of Congress to get one without a slide, - I didn't want a slide because in all the purchasing used RV videos I saw the slides seemed to be the entry point for a lot of leaks andit was another mechanism that would need expensive upkeep. Why pay the mmoney to haul it around if you're not going to use it? We graduated to the newer FGs- the Parkliner and Lil Snoozy- because of the basement engineering to reduce drag and do away with the need for sway bars, and because as old backpackers we're used to living small. So our's should be ready for pickup in September or October- and we'll see you on the trails!
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
We graduated to the newer FGs- the Parkliner and Lil Snoozy- because of the basement engineering to reduce drag and do away with the need for sway bars
You're really sold on that pitch. Isn't the extension cord trailing behind you going create drag?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'll repeat the invite to the Michigan fiberglass trailer rally. It's held in Algonac state park at Algonac. Every year it's on the weekend after Labor Day which will be Sept 9, 10, 11. Go from home or get a motel if it's too far to commute. It's fun! Saturday is mostly for looking at all the different kinds of trailers, sort of like an open house. A lot of very nice friendly people.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Kathy,

I will second/third the "attend a rally" suggestion!

Your ideal choice of trailer will likely be influenced by your intended tow vehicle, the number
of people that you want to sleep, and your requirements for AC, bathroom, etc.

A rally is a great opportunity to see lots of brands of trailers and ask lots of questions. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #9

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Algonac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Come to algonac in sept where you'll see a variety of fg trailers

where, when, and what is Algonac?
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #10

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Rabbit View Post
where, when, and what is Algonac?
There is a molded fiberglass rally being held at Algonac State Park in Algonac, MI. It is on Sept. 9,10, and 11 this year. I will be going for the first time.

Algonac is in the south eastern quarter of the lower peninsula and is right on the St. Clair River - major freighter/shipping route so great ship viewing.

Here is a link with the info:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-72923.html
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #11

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
algonac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
There is a molded fiberglass rally being held at Algonac State Park in Algonac, MI. It is on Sept. 9,10, and 11 this year. I will be going for the first time.

Algonac is in the south eastern quarter of the lower peninsula and is right on the St. Clair River - major freighter/shipping route so great ship viewing.

Here is a link with the info:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-72923.html
will any of the Fiberglass trailer manufactures be there, or is just a gathering of FGRV owners...I don't currently have an RV, but I'm looking....I would probably have to bring a tent or sleep in my future TV...or can you just come in for the day and check out the RV's...thanks
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #12

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Jeff,

It will be owners with their personal trailers. If you look at the link I posted above, scroll down a bit and you will find a site map with a list of those attending, and what kind of trailer they will have. No guarantee that all floor plans will be available for viewing, but you can get a good feel for the size and quality of the different trailers.

All the fiberglass trailer manufacturers build to order and have anywhere from a six month to year wait after you place your order. Generally they do not have trailers built ahead of time that you can check out, so the only option is looking at other folk's trailers.

Most of those attending these rallies, are very open to curious people wanting tours of their trailers and are very accommodating. Yes, you can come in for the day (Saturday?) just to check out the trailers.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Rabbit View Post
will any of the Fiberglass trailer manufactures be there, or is just a gathering of FGRV owners...I don't currently have an RV, but I'm looking....I would probably have to bring a tent or sleep in my future TV...or can you just come in for the day and check out the RV's...thanks
I know I'll be there with the HC1 prototype not sure on any other manufactures.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Definitely attend a rally. Our combo is a Scamp 16 with a Honda Odyssey. We travel for 7 MO the a year and have never been uncomfortable.

These trailers rarely if ever sway, but I still suggest a sway bar, inexpensive, easy to use and good insurance.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #15

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
We have had truck campers and then a 17.5' bigfoot trailer that seemed like it would finally suit us perfectly. However we found the rear bed to squishy and hard to climb over each other to get out. Sold it then bought a 21' bigfoot that we took 4. GrAndkids and us camping last weekend. We are sold on the 21' Bigfoot. We can tow it with my wife's new Pathfinder or my older 2004 Toyota, 4Runner. Going away for 5 days next weekend for dry camping on the Harrison River BC. Look at either the 17.5' or the 21 Bigfoot. The residual value is very strong also.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #16

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
tilting book

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Definitely attend a rally. Our combo is a Scamp 16 with a Honda Odyssey. We travel for 7 MO the a year and have never been uncomfortable.

These trailers rarely if ever sway, but I still suggest a sway bar, inexpensive, easy to use and good insurance.

I have been waiting to see you post something so I could tell you how much I enjoyed reading the Tilting book you recommended. Had to get it from lending library. Thank you for suggesting it.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Thanks Gary Carolyn,

I assume the book you refer to is the illustrated book about going to cut wood.

We know an author on the island Roy Dwyer who has written four books about life on Fogo and in Tilting. We have them all plus a number of other books on island life. One that is hard to get but good is Latitudes of Melt. I've read it twice and visited every location mentioned in the book.

We have another book about women of Newfoundland, regular everyday, maybe not everyday women. They were real strength in NL because the men were often away for extended periods. The title may have been Island Maids.

It's how they lived and live that make the people special.

Thanks for letting me know.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You're really sold on that pitch. Isn't the extension cord trailing behind you going create drag?
Nope it's the auxiliary trailer to to hold this Smartflower POP that;s creating drag
https://www.smartflower.com/en
Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
- the Parkliner and Lil Snoozy- because of the basement engineering to reduce drag and do away with the need for sway bars,

Not sure if I need a translator or an update on what I missed in regards to what Parkliner and Lil Snoozy have come up with recently in regards to the engineering of frames & body design- built in anti sway? Really? When did that happen and how?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #20

Florida
My computer has been having problems ever since I updated Google Satellite- it stops accepting keyboard strokes every now and then. Closing some of the multiple windows I run didn't seem to help. Currently this is the only window accepting keystrokes. I think the aerodynamic design was like one of the initial things they mention on the websites. Reinforced at the factory visits. And I couldn't italicize think...sorry about that