Looking to buy either Scamp, Casita or Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #15

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Zach, I have a Casita 17' SD with the side dinette. The rear dinette is permanently converted to a bed. The one caution I would add is that to me, the seat cushions are uncomfortable enough that I avoid sitting at the dinette for longer than a couple minutes. And I replaced the back cushions with an air mattress and memory-foam pad. So sit for awhile before buying, if sitting is what you will do.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #16

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Thanks Wendy. I don't plan on letting that be an issue, though it's good to know. When I bought my Chinook, I gutted it and started over. I don't want that kind of project again, but doing something like replacing cushions is no big deal to me. I'm concerned with structural things, and non-convertible interior arrangements - like the difference between a center bath and front bath. But I expect to do some minor upgrades and personalization.

I also happen to have a friend who used to restore sailboats and worked in a upholstery shop, and she can do professional quality cushion and upholstery work, so luckily that kind of thing isn't much a hurdle for me!

Old 02-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #17

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
I've had my 2007 bigfoot 17.5 listed on the high side at $24,000 canadian (about 16,500 usd) and have had a Americans interested but the importing into the USA scares some especially when they don't have a valid passport. It will likely be sold here in BC shortly. The people that i've talked with all commented how difficult it was to even locate a clean 17.5 Bigfoot. The factory is back up and running in BC. You cannot beat a 4 season Bigfoot 17.5 and the value after you're done with it will still be there to boot!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #18

Montana
Registry
Well it looks like I will be figuring out over the next couple days how much hassle the importation of a Bigfoot will be from Canada...

Luckily I've got a good passport

Won't be counting my chicken before it hatches...but it looks like I'll have a camper pretty soon.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If it's a Bigfoot manufactured before the bankruptcy reorganization (2009?) but less than 25 years old, make sure it has a US DOT certification sticker. The new Bigfoot company will not issue certification letters for pre-bankruptcy units. Without the certification that the trailer meets all US DOT codes, you will, I believe, have to hire an importer to do some paperwork and arrange an inspection to verify compliance ($$$).

If it has the certification, or if it's over 25 years old, importing a trailer is fairly straightforward. There is more information here.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #20

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Well it looks like I will be figuring out over the next couple days how much hassle the importation of a Bigfoot will be from Canada...

Luckily I've got a good passport

Won't be counting my chicken before it hatches...but it looks like I'll have a camper pretty soon.

You read this note:
Importing Travel Trailer to United States | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

I am from Quebec and last year I sold my 1980 trailer to someone in the United States.
Everything went well.
It was easier, my trailer had over 25 years of age ...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #21

Montana
Registry
Thanks!

Yeah that thread is some of what I've been looking at the last few days. It's right on the edge of 25 years...it's a 1991. He's checking the tag for me tomorrow. Hopefully it's got what it needs. I'm guessing that hiring an importer makes it a no-go.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #22

Montana
Registry
On a side note, sort of, I looked at my friends Scamp this morning. It's actually the layout 6, which is what I wanted. It's pretty nice. If or when I settle down a bit more start using a camper just for weekend or extended trips, rather than living in, I would definitely be happy with a 16' Scamp, or 17' Casita.

But I could tell that for my kind of use, I'm going to be happy with the space in the Bigfoot. Assuming I can get it across the border.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #23

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
One member of the group, I do not remember which, once wrote that he had to wait a few months before crossing the border. The trailer had, say, 25 years less two months, I do not remember exactly.

It seems what year and month of manufacture are calculated rigorously ...

Good luck to you,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #24

Montana
Registry
Thanks. Hopefully it's got a DOT sticker either way and I won't have to worry about it.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #25

Montana
Registry
Well that's exactly where I'm at. Manufacture date of March 22nd, 1991.

I guess it will depend on if the seller wants to humor me. I'd like to make this happen, but there appear to be only three ways:

1. Drive it home and hope they don't check the trailer for the sticker. People have had this happen. I'm not willing to risk it.
2. See if he'll hold on to it for me until March 23rd.
3. Pay a broker to inspect and certify it. I'm willing if it's only around $200, but on the guy's voicemail he says he isn't available until Feb15th.

Bad timing! I hope I don't have to pass on this one (or more accurately, it won't pass on me), but we'll see.

Anyone have advice on a safe, fair way of convincing him to hold it for me? I assume it would include at least partial payment...
Old 02-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Well that's exactly where I'm at. Manufacture date of March 22nd, 1991.

I guess it will depend on if the seller wants to humor me. I'd like to make this happen, but there appear to be only three ways:

1. Drive it home and hope they don't check the trailer for the sticker. People have had this happen. I'm not willing to risk it.
2. See if he'll hold on to it for me until March 23rd.
3. Pay a broker to inspect and certify it. I'm willing if it's only around $200, but on the guy's voicemail he says he isn't available until Feb15th.

Bad timing! I hope I don't have to pass on this one (or more accurately, it won't pass on me), but we'll see.

Anyone have advice on a safe, fair way of convincing him to hold it for me? I assume it would include at least partial payment...
If I were the seller, having a broker involved would tell me the buyer was serious. I have bought & sold things where a month or so was done for convenience. YMMV
Old 02-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #27

Montana
Registry
Thanks Dave.

I had a thought while I was out hiking, which was to find a town with RV storage as close to the border as possible (probably Lethbridge), and store it. Buy it, get the seller off the hook, drop it off in storage and let it sit till its 25th birthday, then go back and cruise through the border, hopefully trouble-free.

It could work...

He's decided that for the short term, he's going to start allowing other people to come see it, but has "reserved" it for me for some unspecified amount of time so we can try to work through the red tape. I don't want to give people a chance to make insane offers though and have him give in So I need to move fast.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #28

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
That sounds like a really good plan.
When I sold a trailer the people paid in full but could not pick it up for a couple of months. It worked out but I was a little nervous that it would get damaged in some way while waiting for them.
Have you confirmed it has got the DOT sticker?

Tags
bigfoot, casita, scamp