Looking to downsize - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #1

Name: Gary
Trailer: Hi-Lo
Florida
Looking to downsize

Hi, we have been RVing for about the last five years and have decided to look for a smaller trailer. Currently, we have a 27' Hi-Lo and after seeing some of our friends with smaller rigs, it has made us start to re-think our options. We our here to look and learn.
GS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Gary! Lots of options.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Yeah, if ya wanna take the house with ya, you`ll mize-as-well stay home. Me i like to camp with a a few basic conveniences. That is why i like my little scamp, can only fit so much in, and that is that. Good Luck. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Downsizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS42 View Post
Hi, we have been RVing for about the last five years and have decided to look for a smaller trailer. Currently, we have a 27' Hi-Lo and after seeing some of our friends with smaller rigs, it has made us start to re-think our options. We our here to look and learn.
We traveled in a 32 foot motorhome for the first 7 years and for the last 8 years in 16 foot trailers.

We didn't think our motorhome could handle a 1000 miles of dirt roads across Labrador and planned to own the small trailer for only two months. After the Labrador trip we knew the ease and fun of small and sold the motorhome.

Downsizing was easy for us. A bigger rig encourages carrying the unused or little used. Though we were organized in the motorhome, our organization level further improved. Now we reconsider what gets to travel with us each year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #5

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Norm and Ginny
Have you two ever considered writing a book on RVing? I'm sure that it would be well received especially by those of us that are new to all this.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:55 AM   #6

Name: DiAnn
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
AZ
We had a 16' Scamp & now in a 21' Bigfoot. Perfect size for us. i like having a larger fridge plus a bit more cooking space. We have a designated bed plus a large enough dinnet to eat, have my iMac on & use as my sewing table.
dibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:49 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A Book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Norm and Ginny
Have you two ever considered writing a book on RVing? I'm sure that it would be well received especially by those of us that are new to all this.
Lee, I was always opposed to writing a book because it was work. One day a member of the forum suggested I write a book and suggested a title, Musing on the Road. Providing a title was a brilliant suggestion. Beyond the title she gave me a tip on how to write it.

I complete the first draft of the book in 2 or 3 months, some 23 chapters. It was a blast, so much fun I would suggest writing as therapeutic for everyone. It reminded me of my discovery of the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. A book that can actually teach you how to draw in a few days.

She suggested first write for 15 minutes a day, everyday. My first 15 minute session turned in two hours as did every day. I found it was a tremendous release. Everyone has something to say but it's usually somehow bottled up, sometimes due to lack of time, or lack of someone to listen or....

She also said just write, forget the grammar, the typos, the structure, just let it flow. It's not a term paper. Get that stuff on the next pass.

I've taken a little break because Scouter Dave and I are leading a Newfoundland Caravan in May and we need to write a Newfoundland Caravan Guide. About 40 pages of the Newfoundland Guide are done and once we send that out I'm getting back to the polishing routine on 'Musings'.

My purpose for the book is not financial reward. It's finishing a readable book that those who haven't traveled like us might find interesting. As well it's self revealing. I've learned more about myself, become a little better person in the process, and a clearer thinker. Something I thought would be work, has been fun.

It's been fun at 73 to discover a new part of me. It's funny but in some sense the NL Caravan is also a trip of discovery. We've never traveled with anyone other than our children or grand children and now we will travel with 30-40 people. Life continues to be an adventure. The adventure is a choice. As my Dad would say" "Life is a series of choices, make good choices". Of course the corollary is "It's too easy to just let life happen."

Lee thanks for the suggestion. The first draft is done. The book is never out of my head. It is now a real part of me.

Thanks Ellpea.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I look forward to getting that book whenever it becomes available. I'm sure you two have quite a following on this forum.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Yeah, if ya wanna take the house with ya, you`ll mize-as-well stay home. Me i like to camp with a a few basic conveniences. That is why i like my little scamp, can only fit so much in, and that is that. Good Luck. Carl
Some people do bring their house with them. My new neighbors here at Quartzite. It's small, 13'4" high, and not quite finished, but it gets the prize for the most unusual trailer in the campground.
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV0535.jpg   _JRV0536.jpg  

Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Some people do bring their house with them. My new neighbors here at Quartzite. It's small, 13'4" high, and not quite finished, but it gets the prize for the most unusual trailer in the campground.
I need a LIKE button!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No attached garage?
Old 11-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Should we call it a "sticky"?
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We downsized in 2009 from a 24' bunk model sticky to an Escape 19. Not only was it smaller, but it offered a way better bed, and a much more decent layout. Now moving up to the Escape 5.0TA, which is 21', but that is all trailer (no hitch length included), so we are back near what we had. This is going to be the ultimate in luxury for us. Sure we could have stuck with the 19, but for us the 5.0TA is the ultimate retirement travelling rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
No attached garage?
You need one of these then.

Or maybe this style.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
My Rav would struggle with that. Cool. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is going to be the ultimate in luxury for us. Sure we could have stuck with the 19, but for us the 5.0TA is the ultimate retirement travelling rig.
And I think you're gonna love it, but I'm a bit biased
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote