Looking to Hit the Road! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2015, 07:18 AM   #41

Name: Casey
Trailer: Escape
FT Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Laptop, desktop.. doesn't matter. A laptop can use a docking station and "look" exactly the same with an independent monitor. It's not about the box, it's about the visual.

She says, because she uses two laptops, two desktops and a MAC on a daily basis. SHHHHH, I'm whispering.
But a laptop can't easily match the processing / video power of my desktop . I might end up making a compromise and switch to a laptop.
fridaynext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #42

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
I bet you'd like Robert Johans new Nest Caravan:
If It's Hip, It's Here: Good Design For The Great Outdoors: Nest Caravans

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #43

FT Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Yep, I really do like that, but I'm going to try and stay within my hitch's rated limits, fully loaded, and the Nest will probably be to heavy. I'll likely stick with a 13' camper.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #44
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
They really are a sweet trailer. Like them a lot.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #45

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Trailer Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Yep, I really do like that, but I'm going to try and stay within my hitch's rated limits, fully loaded, and the Nest will probably be to heavy. I'll likely stick with a 13' camper.
The load on the tow vehicle when towing is similar for a 13 or 16 foot trailer, mostly related to frontal area. The difference in tow vehicle loading is when climbing hills or accelerating.

Secondarily used 13s often come without trailer brakes. Trailer brakes are worth it in any size trailer. Trailer brakes beyond reducing the load on the tow vehicle can stop a sway event and help should the trailer every break away.

As to computers, we're big fans of lap tops. They take less space, weigh less and can be as powerful as you like. As well I can take it outside and use it in the shade, it sits on my lap when on the couch. I just love it.

We also find that in Canada where short term data plans are expensive, we take the lap top to a CAP center (Community Access Program) and can use our lap top to get on the Internet from our car any time of night or day, virtually every town, at least in Newfoundland, has a CAP center.

Equally important in a small space a closed lap top takes no space and works when you don't have AC.

Just a thought

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #46

FT Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The load on the tow vehicle when towing is similar for a 13 or 16 foot trailer, mostly related to frontal area. The difference in tow vehicle loading is when climbing hills or accelerating.

Secondarily used 13s often come without trailer brakes. Trailer brakes are worth it in any size trailer. Trailer brakes beyond reducing the load on the tow vehicle can stop a sway event and help should the trailer every break away.

As to computers, we're big fans of lap tops. They take less space, weigh less and can be as powerful as you like. As well I can take it outside and use it in the shade, it sits on my lap when on the couch. I just love it.

We also find that in Canada where short term data plans are expensive, we take the lap top to a CAP center (Community Access Program) and can use our lap top to get on the Internet from our car any time of night or day, virtually every town, at least in Newfoundland, has a CAP center.

Equally important in a small space a closed lap top takes no space and works when you don't have AC.

Just a thought
Thanks! I know they're not totally done with the Nest trailers yet, but the PDF download says it's 2k unladen, which already maxes out my hitch. The 13' Scamp, on the other hand, is estimated 1200-1500 unladen, which gives us plenty of room to strategically plan what to carry in the trailer, and only has a 100lb hitch weight, which is also good for the 200lb hitch weight limit on my Curt 110662. I know the hitch weight will need to be adjusted for a solid tow, but I think we're really aiming towards a 13' Scamp, with trailer brakes.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #47

Florida
Casey.

I thought you'd find this interesting, a Jetta towing a fair size trailer. nOte the use of a weight distribution hitch to take weight off the rear wheels, transferring weight to the front axle..

Can-Am RV :: Jetta towing Visa

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #48

Florida
Casey,

You might like reading posts 77, 78 and 85 By Andy Thompson. Though not directly related to the trailer you plan to tow they provide interesting insight.

Airstream / Intrepid - Page 6 - Airstream Forums

The following link is to an article about towing with VWs by Andy. Unfortunately it's an old link but you may be able to contact RV Life Mag and get a copy.

http://www.rvlifemag.com/RV36_7/hitchhints367.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #49

Florida
Casey,

Andy mentions the VW in the last paragraph of this article on the Mercedes diesel.

Towing Test: Mercedes GLK 250 BlueTEC - RV Lifestyle Magazine

Though I can't find the article I believe Can-AM used a VW diesel to tow Airstreams to Canada from the factory.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #50

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You might like reading posts 77, 78 and 85 By Andy Thompson. Though not directly related to the trailer you plan to tow they provide interesting insight.

][/QUOTE]

Another good read posted by a member here in regards to his real life experience with towing with a Jetta rather than reading something written by someone who makes their living selling folks the means to tow over weight trailers can be found at: Jetta towing Issues.... caution
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #51

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Kudos to Casey

For standing his ground and not listening to the minuscule number of peeps that think that mgf tow limits are only suggestive.

2000 lbs = 2000 lbs etc.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #52
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Kudos to Casey
BM, as you previously found out having a combination that just, "falls within the numbers" is no guarantee that you won't get into trouble and ends up trashed in the ditch.
Being pigeon holed into just the number thing will prevent one from seeing the big picture. Number are one thing but more importantly are the other factors that come together making for a top notch tow vehicle/trailer combination.

What most of us are wishing for Casey is that he puts together a combination that is fun to drive, easy to handle in a straight line and emergency situation, has good stopping abilities, and over all is safe and secure.
A priority for many of us is spending our time and efforts addressing those many factors.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #53

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Looking to Hit the Road!

Casey,

Regarding the laptop vs desktop question .....

For maximum flexibility, I would suggest the laptop with a docking station.

Inside the trailer, you can dock the laptop and connect your larger monitor.
If you then open the lid on the laptop, you can have a "dual monitor" setup
(by using the laptop display as a second monitor). 😊

You could then have an email client open on the laptop monitor while working
on a presentation or report on the larger monitor.
(I've personally used that dual monitor setup for several years at a "customer
support" work location.)

If the weather is nice or the trailer is "busy" with other competing activities
(sleeping, TV, music, cleaning, etc.), you can undock and take the laptop
outside to a picnic table, screen room, or ???

Just a thought ..... 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #54

Clip from Post 52: "BM, as you previously found out having a combination that just, "falls within the numbers" is no guarantee that you won't get into trouble and ends up trashed in the ditch."

Not quite sure what this means, it's certainly not something that has happened to me or that I would have expressed. Please explain.

That said, the discussion is about the manufacturers upper towing limit, just one of many factors to consider when towing, and exceeding that limit, as is division by zero, is "Not Defined".

As the op will see, while there are 2-3 list members that seem to tout ignoring those limits, the majority of members do not share that opinion and sometimes wish that it would be realized that the horse has died and it's time to get off.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #55

FT Travel
Quote:
Now that's a good point! (Although I do have a UPS, but it's quite heavy.) I've actually found a couple laptops with some super-duper video horsepower that might suit my needs (editing 4k video in Adobe Premiere). One of them even has a Cherry MX Brown mechanical keyboard built into it! I'll keep you posted with what I decide to do.

Quote:
Great info! Definitely giving me more food for thought about what trailer we'll choose / how we'll tow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Another good read posted by a member here in regards to his real life experience with towing with a Jetta rather than reading something written by someone who makes their living selling folks the means to tow over weight trailers...
Carol, there's no need to be passive aggressive about this. I feel if everyone took a helpful critical approach, rather than verbally abusing the opposition on this forum, it would be a much more productive place.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #56
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post

Carol, there's no need to be passive aggressive about this. I feel if everyone took a helpful critical approach, rather than verbally abusing the opposition on this forum, it would be a much more productive place.
Well put Casey. Many of us have been working towards that goal for years now and I believe the concept is taking hold. The future looks bright here as we are all RV'ers and on the same team.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #57

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Looking to Hit the Road!

On our most recent trip (Houston), we stayed in a campground/RV-park that offered "free WiFI"
in their activity room (adjacent to the office). WiFi was not available (from the park anyway) in
the remainder of the park.

If you have a laptop (or tablet?), you could take advantage of those spaces and conserve
other paid bandwidth.

The previously described "dual monitor" setup was done with an MS/Windows laptop.
If you use a MAC or Linux, you might need to ask someone else if that "dual monitor"
configuration would work.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #58

Name: Aimee
Trailer: Casita 17 DLX
Kentucky
We thought about going the Tiny House route too!!! We even had tv shows trying to cast us...but then we realized for half the money we could get an awesome Fiberglass RV. Lol we totally planned our escape based on when our lease was up, because we couldn't see signing a whole new one. Here's some links that might help find the right trailer (this is a listing of all small trailer brands...there are some really nice teardrops that might work) Manufacturers | The Small Trailer Enthusiast
and this guy had some interesting stuff about small trailers but I haven't spent tons of time looking through it Guide To Ultra-Lightweight Travel Trailers Hope you guys find something cool!!!
HarryHendersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #59

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Hi Fridaynext, welcome. I have a 13' Boler am will soon be starting my reno to prep for fulltiming. That said, I have worked out some floorplans that will give me a lot of storage. Have you considered using a large flat screen TV for your monitor? I think it would save weight and space. In a small trailer multipurpose items work best, in my opinion. I was going to go the THOW route too, then decided I already own one, my tiny Boler. LOL. All the best, hope to see you on the road.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #60

I'm with Carol H... she knows of what she speaks.
Some peeps might not like bad news, but it's still the news. Her post refers to years of earlier posts that were nothing more than an advertisement for one dealer until they were corralled by the administrators.

Your best advise might be from members that actually own and tow FGRV's with smaller cars.