Looky-Loo from Vancouver area - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: Looking for the "light"
British Columbia
That said, I think I've narrowed it down to:

-A used 17B Escape if I can find one.

-A used Alto 1723, again if I can find one/it's not horrendously expensive.

-A less used R-Pod 172 or 176

The first two I'd almost consider a small loan for (If I can't find an older Escape in budget and the Alto's only been made for a few years so even used is likely to be $15k +) as you guys have pointed out they're more likely to retain resale value. The R-pod...I think I'd have to find a used example I could pay cash for as it appears to be of lesser quality and I wouldn't want to be paying interest on something that's value is also quickly spiraling the drain.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #16

British Columbia
Now we're talking! Where do I get one of these!!?

Have you guys seen this?

More pics here:
252° Living Area: Mobile Mini House by Stephanie Bellanger, Amaury Watine, François Gustin & David Dethoor » Yanko Design

Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #17

Name: Gord
Trailer: Escape 17b
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob View Post
That said, I think I've narrowed it down to:

-A used 17B Escape if I can find one.

-A used Alto 1723, again if I can find one/it's not horrendously expensive.

-A less used R-Pod 172 or 176

The first two I'd almost consider a small loan for (If I can't find an older Escape in budget and the Alto's only been made for a few years so even used is likely to be $15k +) as you guys have pointed out they're more likely to retain resale value. The R-pod...I think I'd have to find a used example I could pay cash for as it appears to be of lesser quality and I wouldn't want to be paying interest on something that's value is also quickly spiraling the drain.

Escape has a sale on now. This is a real sale - about 10% off if you order for winter. We looked for a used Escape before deciding on a new one because the used prices were approaching new (with out warranty and with out our personal choice in options). The 17b which we will pick up next week, is close to the limit for most of the small SUVs you seem to have your eye on. The 15b, which we did order before "2-footitis" set in, may be just what you are looking for.

The Alto, which we were interested in last year, does not (did not???) have any kind of distributor/warranty network west of Quebec. New, they come close to $30K with shipping etc. Cool design though - really screams "LOOK AT ME!!!"

The R-Pods seem to be plentiful and inexpensive. Search the internet though to find out for yourself if there are issues involved with them.

Why do you like brand-new shiny cars (>$30-$40K) but want to cheap-out on the trailer???
Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord W. View Post
Escape has a sale on now. This is a real sale - about 10% off if you order for winter. We looked for a used Escape before deciding on a new one because the used prices were approaching new (with out warranty and with out our personal choice in options). The 17b which we will pick up next week, is close to the limit for most of the small SUVs you seem to have your eye on. The 15b, which we did order before "2-footitis" set in, may be just what you are looking for.

The Alto, which we were interested in last year, does not (did not???) have any kind of distributor/warranty network west of Quebec. New, they come close to $30K with shipping etc. Cool design though - really screams "LOOK AT ME!!!"

The R-Pods seem to be plentiful and inexpensive. Search the internet though to find out for yourself if there are issues involved with them.

Why do you like brand-new shiny cars (>$30-$40K) but want to cheap-out on the trailer???
Yeah I noticed that sale as well and given that used prices (as you mentioned) aren't substantially lower, we may just go that route. Have to see what prices are doing in a year or so. The 15 would be nice but just doesn't have the sleeping capacity we'll need for little rug rats plus us.

Nixed the Alto's from the list for the reasons you mentioned...

R-pods I think going to be a cheap last resort if we can't find what we need/want for a decent price in an Escape or...

I've also come across Camplite all aluminum trailers (not fiberglass, sorry). They're aluminum frames, floors, walls, cupboards etc so nothing to rust or rot and seem to be built like $h1t brick houses (pardon my french), are light and fairly priced as well. I'm also chatting with them on doing a custom plan (depending on costs involved etc) similar to this:

CampLite All Aluminum Travel Trailer Overview by LivinLite

Attached Thumbnails
Camp Lite-MY DESIGN-01.jpg