Looky-Loo from Vancouver area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Looking for the "light"
British Columbia
Looky-Loo from Vancouver area

Hi!

My name is Jason and my fiance and I are starting some research on ultra-light trailers to hopefully buy something in about a year. I grew up camping in trailers with my parents (who've since moved up first to a 5th wheel and now a large coach) and they're some of the fondest memories I have from my youth and I look forward to sharing that with our future family!

I currently am leasing a Suzuki SX4 crossover which only has a ~2000LB towing capacity (so a loaded utility trailer basically :P )

But I'm looking strongly at the upcoming Mazda CX5 which is replacing the Tribute. Details are scarce so far but I'm hopeful they're going to bring it to North America with their new "SkyActiv" 2.2L diesel (180HP/310ft.lbs) which should have decent towing capacity.

I'd like to keep the dry weight at/around 2000lbs (or less) and probably 16'-19'. Preferably with a toilet/shower combo and sleeping for 3-4 (us two and our future ankle biters). I think we could forgo A/C as southern BC rarely gets so hot that open windows or just heading outside won't suffice and I'd rather keep the weight/wind resistance down (big fan of efficiency).

With a budget in the $5k-$10K area it looks like we'd be looking at perhaps some early-mid 2000's Escapes/Scamps (Escapes being built right in our own back yard!). Though I'm also quite intrigued/concerned in the KZ Spree Escapes which look to be not far out of our budget NEW. We might be able to get a ~two year old one on budget which would be great but I'm concerned as to why they're so inexpensive...? Any input on that would be great!

http://kz-rv.com/spree_escape/index.html

The E16BH is probably the closest fit for features/weight but that E170S with the slide sure looks intriguing!

Any other advice on units/makes/models we should be researching?

Looking forward to learning lots!

Thanks,
Jason
JRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome to the list Jason. Waving from across the harbour on the North Shore.

The Spree-Escape (not the same as the Escape trailer made here in BC)that you have shown in your post is not what we would call a true fiberglass trailer which is what the Scamp and Escapes are. Its what we would call a stick trailer and due to their construction they do not normally have as long of life as a true fiberglass trailer will. So they are often cheaper to buy new and really cheap to buy used. Website for our local Escape trailers is found here http://escapetrailer.com/ - Nice trailers!

I have a 16' scamp early 90's model so it is a bit lighter than most of the 2000 onwards models - it does have a side bath/shower but no ac or microwave and loaded with my gear etc it comes in at a total weight of about 2500lbs (not carrying any water) and the tongue is included in that is between 220-240lbs. Think you will find that many of the 16' Escapes (the built local ones) loaded maybe a bit higher and the tongue weight is usually higher than that. You really need to check not just the tow cap of what ever you plan on buying for towing but the tongue weight cap as well. Dont want to pull the back end out of a new car.

You should sign up on the Escape website to their owners forum as some used 16`are starting to appear on the market in the buy and sell section. As for purchasing a Scamp here in Canada that is a real long shot - there are only a few registered with ICBC and they did not actually have a 16`registered until I imported mine a few years ago - think they have a couple more now. Best to plan on traveling across the line to find one.

We have a group of fiberglass trailer owners called the Nor-West Glass Eggs that get together a few times a year of meets and anyone is welcome to join us and check out all the different types of trailers. The next meet is in September and the very new facebook link to the group is here:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

We also have a Scambled Egg meet taking place at the Sons of Norway Campground at Haztic Lake on July 8-10 which will also have mostly fiberglass -so far we have about 42 trailers signed up and they will be open to tour on the Saturday 12 - 3pm. more info on that can be found at: https://sites.google.com/site/bcglasseggs/
I know for sure that there with be both a 13`& 16` Scamp at that meet along with Bolers, Trilliums, Bigfoots, Surfside and Escapes - probable forgotten someone!

Good luck on your search.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks Carol!

Yeah I was aware the Spree Escape is a separate "animal" so to speak but my two biggest concerns right now would be weight and price. As we'll probably only keep this initial trailer for ~5 years anyway, longevity while important, is less of a concern.

I guess I was more curious about the quality of the components like fridges, heaters, water pumps etc and things like window/wall insulation in a ~10 year old fiberglass trailer vs a ~2 year old Spree Escape.

While the overall quality/longevity of a local Escape trailer is almost assuredly higher, am I going to be at the point where I'm going to have to start replacing components as they get to end of life in a 10 year old trailer almost immediately where as I'd have a few years with the Spree?

Is it just cheaper construction methods that makes the Spree more affordable or are they also using inferior components (fridges, heaters, pumps etc) within the unit as well? I'm always very skeptical of things that seem to good to be true so hence my concern!...lol

I will definitely make sure I look in to tongue weights etc too. But it's hard to research that on a vehicle that doesn't exist yet! I'm also considering the 2012 Ford Escape (in Europe currently known as the Kuga) as well as the V6 RAV4 among others but I'd really love that Mazda's small diesel, it's 50mpg highway rating (though I wouldn't expect that towingobviously) and it's 310ft.lbs of torque at 2000RPM!

2012 Ford Escape/Kuga

We probably won't get to make it to Haztic lake as we're getting married July 31, so we're a bit busy busy! But we'll try to make it out in September!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #4

British Columbia
Just found this:

Ultra lite travel trailers - Roaming Times

Goodness I've got some reading and research to do!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Ford wil not be bringing the diesel to the U.S. in either the CX5 or the Escape.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ford wil not be bringing the diesel to the U.S. in either the CX5 or the Escape.
Ford has nothing to do with the CX5 or it's diesel. It's Mazda's own baby

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-n...l?artid=132481

It's no sure thing in any way but at least Mazda's thinking about it.

Do what I did and email them telling them how much I'd LOVE an AWD, diesel unit with the 6 speed manual. I told them I'd put down a deposit "yesterday": mciep@mazda.ca
Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #7

British Columbia
Looks like I can also add the following to my list of must check out/see if I can find used:

-Heartland MPG
-Forest River R-Pod
-Alto 1723 (though I doubt I'll find a used model of this ANYWHERE near my price range) but it is pretty dang cool!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Also, Jason, remember it's not just the vehicle's ability to pull; it's also its ability to stop. Your trailer will have electric brakes, and you will always keep them in excellent working order, but still, if you ever have a malfunction (or even a maladjustment), Look Out!

Good luck with your quest; and keep letting us in on what you find!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #9

British Columbia
Thanks Mary. Of course I'll be looking in to all of that (as well as transmission cooling etc as well). Hoping that Mazda comes out with the options I want an appropriate towing package.

What do you folks know about the Burro line of trailers? In particular the 17'
Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob View Post
my two biggest concerns right now would be weight and price. As we'll probably only keep this initial trailer for ~5 years anyway, longevity while important, is less of a concern.

I guess I was more curious about the quality of the components

I going to be at the point where I'm going to have to start replacing components as they get to end of life in a 10 year old trailer almost immediately where as I'd have a few years with the Spree?

Is it just cheaper construction methods that makes the Spree more affordable
Longevity is the biggest factor in Resale Value. After 5 years, you'd get most of your investment back for the molded trailer, while the conventionally constructed one will have depreciated precipitously.

All RV manufacturers use the same internal components today. (Stoves, Refrigerators, Heaters, water pumps) Workmanship of assembly and Care and maintenance (or lack of it) of the previous owner(s) is the point of comparison.

The Range/Heater, Refrigerator, Water Heater, Interior Light fixtures, Door, and Windows of my 33 year old used Fiber Stream are original and still going strong. Since 2004 I have replaced the Leaf Springs, Tongue Jack, Water Pump, Converter/Charger, Roof Vent, Taps (both Kitchen and Bathroom) and Tail Lights. If previous owners had taken better care of the trailer I would have had less to replace.

For the most part, Cheaper body materials that require less skill for assembly is the biggest factor in the pricing of NEW trailers.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #11

British Columbia
Thanks Frederick, just the kind of info/opinion I was looking for!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The appliances used in a stick vs a fiberglass trailer are normally made by the same makers so how long they last or dont last will be the same. You should though expect to get more than 10 years out of them. My trailer is 20 years old with original fridge, stove and heater all working just fine. Other than standard items replacement such as wheel brakes, tires and battery its only need a new water pump and a new foot pedal for the bathroom. Oh yes the hot water tank was replaced by the previous owner due to his failure to drain it prior to winter storage. Not a lot of money and no where near the amount I would have lost to depreciation on the cost of a stick trailer over the same time frame and I most likely would have to replace those items in the same time frame on a stick trailer as well. Every year my insurance company suggests that I need to lower the replacement value on my trailer due to depreciation and every year they have to be reminded that its not a stick trailer so their standard depreciation formual does not work.

I noticed you where looking for a trailer with a 2000lb dry weight. Just a word of caution on that. Dry weights are normally a very bare bones trailer and each company is different as to what is and is not included in that weight. Most do not include anything that is optional such as microwave, AC, awnings and hot water tanks, heaters etc. Few if any include the weight of a 20lb propane tank (abt 38 lbs full) and a battery (abt 30 lbs or more) both of which need to be added to the dry tongue weight. Here is a link to some real world trailer weights that where done on fiberglass trailers while attending a meet. Can tell you that many people are shocked and amazed when they have their trailers weighed for the first time: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...d-43010-7.html You will see for example that the 16' Scamp with bath real world tongue weights range from 240 to 320lbs and the Escape 17' come in at 380lbs and up on the tongue.

The Mazda looks good but without the specs I wouldnt be sending in a cheque.

Please do come out to the meet in September there is usually a big range of fiberglass trailers new and old. People are happy to show them and share their experence in looking after them. Trailer tours are usually on a Saturday - havent worked out a schedule yet but they normally start about 11am and last a couple of hours.

Happy hunting. Feel free to PM me though this forum if you are going to be on the north shore and would like to see a Scamp 16'.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome Jason. As Carol has mentioned real life weights of trailers are not as light as you would think. You would be very hard pressed to get a 16fter with a bathroom in at under 2000lbs of any brand. And personally I think towing right at or over your vehicles limit is not a safe thing to do. Hopefully this won't start yet another argument about what can be safely towed by what.

Good luck in finding what is right for you and making some great new memories for your new family!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #14

British Columbia
Well aware of manufacturers (not just in this industry either) fudging numbers using grey areas to promote products (Televisions being one of the worst examples). I'm expecting the Mazda CX5 will have a tow rating around 3500 as that's a pretty common number in that class/size of vehicle but I'm at a bit of an advantage as I don't have one yet so I can also get a TV that suits the trailer as well If it's not the Mazda, so be it. It's being officially launched in September for release next spring (March'ish) so I should know more details by then of towing capacity etc.

I'm just using dry weights as a starting point as then I know if it's around 2000lbs I should be ok with something that can handle 3000-4000lbs as a TV.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #15

British Columbia
That said, I think I've narrowed it down to:

-A used 17B Escape if I can find one.

-A used Alto 1723, again if I can find one/it's not horrendously expensive.

-A less used R-Pod 172 or 176

The first two I'd almost consider a small loan for (If I can't find an older Escape in budget and the Alto's only been made for a few years so even used is likely to be $15k +) as you guys have pointed out they're more likely to retain resale value. The R-pod...I think I'd have to find a used example I could pay cash for as it appears to be of lesser quality and I wouldn't want to be paying interest on something that's value is also quickly spiraling the drain.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #16

British Columbia
Now we're talking! Where do I get one of these!!?

Have you guys seen this?

More pics here:
252° Living Area: Mobile Mini House by Stephanie Bellanger, Amaury Watine, François Gustin & David Dethoor » Yanko Design

Old 06-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #17

Name: Gord
Trailer: Escape 17b
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob View Post
That said, I think I've narrowed it down to:

-A used 17B Escape if I can find one.

-A used Alto 1723, again if I can find one/it's not horrendously expensive.

-A less used R-Pod 172 or 176

The first two I'd almost consider a small loan for (If I can't find an older Escape in budget and the Alto's only been made for a few years so even used is likely to be $15k +) as you guys have pointed out they're more likely to retain resale value. The R-pod...I think I'd have to find a used example I could pay cash for as it appears to be of lesser quality and I wouldn't want to be paying interest on something that's value is also quickly spiraling the drain.

Escape has a sale on now. This is a real sale - about 10% off if you order for winter. We looked for a used Escape before deciding on a new one because the used prices were approaching new (with out warranty and with out our personal choice in options). The 17b which we will pick up next week, is close to the limit for most of the small SUVs you seem to have your eye on. The 15b, which we did order before "2-footitis" set in, may be just what you are looking for.

The Alto, which we were interested in last year, does not (did not???) have any kind of distributor/warranty network west of Quebec. New, they come close to $30K with shipping etc. Cool design though - really screams "LOOK AT ME!!!"

The R-Pods seem to be plentiful and inexpensive. Search the internet though to find out for yourself if there are issues involved with them.

Why do you like brand-new shiny cars (>$30-$40K) but want to cheap-out on the trailer???
Gord W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord W. View Post
Escape has a sale on now. This is a real sale - about 10% off if you order for winter. We looked for a used Escape before deciding on a new one because the used prices were approaching new (with out warranty and with out our personal choice in options). The 17b which we will pick up next week, is close to the limit for most of the small SUVs you seem to have your eye on. The 15b, which we did order before "2-footitis" set in, may be just what you are looking for.

The Alto, which we were interested in last year, does not (did not???) have any kind of distributor/warranty network west of Quebec. New, they come close to $30K with shipping etc. Cool design though - really screams "LOOK AT ME!!!"

The R-Pods seem to be plentiful and inexpensive. Search the internet though to find out for yourself if there are issues involved with them.

Why do you like brand-new shiny cars (>$30-$40K) but want to cheap-out on the trailer???
Yeah I noticed that sale as well and given that used prices (as you mentioned) aren't substantially lower, we may just go that route. Have to see what prices are doing in a year or so. The 15 would be nice but just doesn't have the sleeping capacity we'll need for little rug rats plus us.

Nixed the Alto's from the list for the reasons you mentioned...

R-pods I think going to be a cheap last resort if we can't find what we need/want for a decent price in an Escape or...

I've also come across Camplite all aluminum trailers (not fiberglass, sorry). They're aluminum frames, floors, walls, cupboards etc so nothing to rust or rot and seem to be built like $h1t brick houses (pardon my french), are light and fairly priced as well. I'm also chatting with them on doing a custom plan (depending on costs involved etc) similar to this:

CampLite All Aluminum Travel Trailer Overview by LivinLite

Attached Thumbnails
Camp Lite-MY DESIGN-01.jpg