Lusting for Fiberglass! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Scamp
South lake Tahoe
Lusting for Fiberglass!

Hello everyone! Until recently I've been a Four Wheel Popup owner and loved every minute of it. Sold her to get finances in order and am approaching financial freedom; time for another camper! I've always loved seeing the Casitas and recently saw my first Trillium on Craigslist, pretty amazing little rigs. Research led me here and am happy to have found this site. I'll be reading, learning and sending good vibes to the Universe to find a fiberglass camper to rave about by the end of the year.
BeerYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Welcome. This is a friendly, informative place. Once you do some initial reading, feel free to ask your questions.

One initial piece of advice, once you know what you want, and decide to buy, make sure you are ready to pounce when you find a good trailer you like. They go fast. That said, make sure to examine it so as not to buy someone else's problem without knowing it. Most folks in this community are honest and love to help out a nube, but there are scammers. If in doubt about a too good to be true ad, ask here for some honest answers about a particular deal.

Good luck in your research and search.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I'd say be a little cautious of new members (0-9 posts). They may have come here only to sell their trailer. The price may even seem okay, but not too good to be true, but may not include reasonably full disclosure.

These trailers can mostly be fixed; but paying a camp-ready price for a total tear-down isn't something you want to do.

We have a list of what to look for...beware of bouncy floors and funny smells (don't expect it to smell like you think it would smell if it were rotting...just any strong, funny smell including candles and air fresheners).

Be sure you know what amenities you must have. If you want all-electric, then that's fine. If you want one to completely customize, be aware of that. It's the basic layout that is most important, and I'd include overall and tongue weights in the basics.

Great good luck to you! Hunting for your perfect egg is one of the fun times, believe it or not. So is fixing it up to suit your own particular needs and wants.

BEST
"K"
Old 08-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

South lake Tahoe
Thanks for the tips! I understand about being ready to pounce, that's how I purchased my Four Wheeler. Must have been on Craigslist 20 times a day, I had actually refreshed my screen when the camper popped up and was only 15 minutes away, I was there in 45.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #5

Name: Stephanie and Mark
Trailer: Trillium Sidekick 4500
Washington
Hey There! So what size are you looking for 13', 15' 16', 17'? Does it need an indoor toilet? Do you need hot water? Will you need to sleep 2 or will it be more? fixed bed with a small dinette? Solar? Awning? Propane cooker or electric?

How far are you willing to travel? do you have a budget that you want to stay between?

I'm asking because I have a 2014 Great West Vans Trillium Sidekick 4500 Legend (15', permanent bed, front dinette - NO Bathroom) We used a porta-potti for night time (it was built in Winnipeg Canada) That we are thinking about selling. It's in great condition except for the rear left tail light - there was a fire in the backyard of my neighbor's house and it started to melt the red taillight cover before we got the trailer pushed out of the way. The lights still work, it is just a cosmetic issue. I'm finding that the tail light covers are sort of hard to find.

I haven't even listed it in the FiberglassRV Classifieds yet. I'm in the Portland Oregon/Vancouver Washington area so not TOO far from Tahoe.

Private Message me if you want more info. We will be getting all the photos and a walkthrough video done next Tuesday and I'll be posting it then in the $12,000 range but willing to negotiate a bit. My husband and I bought it new from a dealer in Portland Oregon April 2015. We are the only owners - never smoked in.

You never know- this may be the way the universe is helping us both out!
Cheers!
Stephanie
sbergeron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

South lake Tahoe
Spergeron00 thanks for the heads up but am looking for an introductory model, not a rebuild but nothing too new. Your's sounds nice but am looking in the 4000 - 6000 range. Look forward to you posting some pics though!
Old 08-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Few if any Trilliums are going to fit within that budget in restored/refurbished condition. If you find one, it will very likely be a project, but perhaps not described as one. Vintage Trilliums tend to sell for less in Canada, particularly after doing a currency conversion.

You will see Scamp 13s within that budget, older ones.

The market really dictates price. I would have loved to have found a Trillium ready to go within that budget. Instead, I found a project.

Look at the FG for sale website, and click on sold trailers. While they don't list the actual sold price, most FG trailers sell for close to asking price. That will give you an idea of prices.

I've seen nicely restored and ready to camp Trilliums in the USA in the $8000 to $10000 price range lately. They enjoy a vintage premium which in my opinion exceeds the value of the trailer. But they are pretty cool and I love mine!

I looked at some vintage Trilliums last year in the $6,000+/- range that were walk aways, bigger projects with bigger defects than I was ready to face. Both sold to other buyers shortly after I passed on them and neither was called a project. But I would describe rotten plywood in the floor, non-functioning appliances, leaking window seals and belly band, etc. to be projects. I keep waiting for those buyers to appear here, asking "how do I fix this".

Be sure to educate yourself on common issues on whatever brand trailer you are seeking. In this internet age, there is no reason to be surprised by defects after purchase, ones that are well documented. Some people seem to buy on impulse, and then are shocked later when they discover common problems.

Scamp 13s are more plentiful, and seem to not get the "coolness" premium you see on vintage Bolers and Trilliums.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote