m and m - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #15

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
What a great job!
I have a trailer just like yours just older I am guessing. I am doing a total rebuild and love the work you have done, Where did you put the storage tank for your shower? I am going to put my bath in the front corner I see you have fiberglass sides in the bath too. I was/am going to use a plastic shower base instead of stainless. I also will take anything you want to share in how you designed the lay out.
Thanks
Sam

Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #16

Name: mike
Trailer: 1988 columbus coach van companion liberty
Missouri
Registry
sam i have looked at your build earlier, great start
i was there last year
i flattened the walls the way you are thinking of doing to put on my wall board and it worked ok
the shower and sink tank is between the frame rails just ahead of the axle outside, my frame is higher off the ground, with an entry door step and axle springs under the frame not beside it like yours
the toilet tank is above floor. it is part of the shower pan, the step up under the toilet (what is called a short toilet for this application) like casita, holds 13 gal of waste, the dump valve is under the trailer, was all welded together before installing in the trailer, but in and out dozens of times fitting and tacking up
there is nothing on this trailer that is square so everything is built as you go in place. get lots of cardboard for templates, saves a lot of wall board and cabinet material

the roof reinforcement is the most necessary thing i think the body needs, that flat roof is a swimming pool waiting to leak

good luck, don't give up, there is a lot of work ahead, i've been 1 1/2 year to get this far and have at least another 6 months before i get to use it

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #17

Missouri
Registry
jack

i have lots of pics but not real sure how to put them on here or where
the only weight i took was empty before i started at 2200lb axle. now ready to use, 40 gal fresh water, 6 gal hot water, 40lb propane, and batteries came in at 2800 axle and 385 tongue, the tongue was heavier than i wanted but the weight dist will take care of that. i changed the original 205 - 15 6 ply tires to 225 - 15 10 ply tires so that should make the axle safe

mike
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #18

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by m and m View Post
sam i have looked at your build earlier, great start
i was there last year
i flattened the walls the way you are thinking of doing to put on my wall board and it worked ok
the shower and sink tank is between the frame rails just ahead of the axle outside, my frame is higher off the ground, with an entry door step and axle springs under the frame not beside it like yours
the toilet tank is above floor. it is part of the shower pan, the step up under the toilet (what is called a short toilet for this application) like casita, holds 13 gal of waste, the dump valve is under the trailer, was all welded together before installing in the trailer, but in and out dozens of times fitting and tacking up
there is nothing on this trailer that is square so everything is built as you go in place. get lots of cardboard for templates, saves a lot of wall board and cabinet material

the roof reinforcement is the most necessary thing i think the body needs, that flat roof is a swimming pool waiting to leak

good luck, don't give up, there is a lot of work ahead, i've been 1 1/2 year to get this far and have at least another 6 months before i get to use it
Thanks for the reply!
I know I have a ways to go.... frame is ready to paint when the temp come up for a day or too. Did you make your shower walls or did you go buy panels? I can raise my trailer off the ground around 6" if I put the axle on the bottom of the springs, maybe enough room for the gray water tank.
I have a ton of cardboard saved up for this! LOL
Also my ceiling has a inside liner that I have to get insulation between, and it's not sag yet..
If you have any more suggestion or idea's let me know! I am open for all the suggestions I can get!
Thanks
Sam
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #19

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Mike, the fotos in your member registry came thru fine. To add workaday progress photos in the forums, open the Post Reply box (not the Quick Reply) and scroll below the posting box to Additional Options. Cllick on Manage Attachments, "browse" and upload from your photo files. There is no need to use a photo hosting site as photos are archived on this site as a permanent reference. There is a limit on foto attachments per post which escapes me at the moment but I believe at least 8. Photos will show in "preview" after you close Manage Attachments. Everyone has their preferred method of dealing with explanatory text. Perhaps the easiest is one big lump with numerical references to the photo sequence. Insertion of photos in text requires a bit more planning (a script) to execute. There are many here who can offer you a more sophisticated explanation if you need it. I believe there may also be a foto-posting tutorial under FAQ.

jack
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #20

Missouri
Registry
more pics

jack

i have put some more pics (20 - 2 different threads) over in the mods and alterations forum

thanks for the help
Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
And thanks for the headsup. I'll have a look.

jack
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #22

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
Hi M&M and welcome!!! As you can see we have something in common
Thank you for the history lesson on our Van Companions. I have tried to find out the story on this uncommon trailer after we purchased ours in the Fall of 2010. I had no luck finding any info.
I love the reno you did. What a beauty she is!!! (OK, yes I am drooling)
We are not planning a renovation; but hope you don't mind if we may ask you some questions from time to time regarding "structure" issues. Sure is nice to know someone who has gutted out the exact same trailer that we own. Will be watching your future posts with great interest!
Mike & Ellen
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #23

Missouri
Registry
mikell

yours is in a lot better shape than mine when i brought it home
mine has a roof rack and ladder that had came loose and leaked everywhere in the roof and on the cabinets, 24 screw holes that let a lot of water in
does yours have the hot water in the road side front corner also, didn't see a pic of that side

great looking trailer

mike
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #24

Michigan
Registry
Hi Mike, We had the roof rack & ladder also. Hubby took the roof rack off (for prevention of future leak problems) and we kept the ladder. When we brought ours home we dealt w/a leaking belly band and some leaking windows. Not sure if you saw my original post from 4/30/12 regarding our story and a few more pics that on our registry has.
We do not have a hot water heater, hence no shower for us.
I will be showing hubby (Mike) your posts & pics tonight. I'm sure he will come up w/some quesitons for you. He is the "handy-man" of our duo, I like to make things "clean & cute".
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #25

Missouri
Registry
mikell

looked at that 4-30 post
the road side front sidewall corner indention is for the hot water heater
a 6 gal suburban fits right in it
mine was already there but it could be added easily to yours, gas right under it on frame rail, water going by to the toilet.
my window wood was also damaged, the 5 windows on mine were put in dry, then just SILICONE around the frame. the Masonite ceiling was all bowed and sagging from holding water, that cloth wrap held water real good
i did put my rack back on but i put green wood under the holes while ceiling was out to run screws into, should do better than just the fiberglass they went into before and put dycor roof sealer under each standoff before a screw went in, the sealer would hold rack on with out screws once it sets up so hopefully it won't leak again

hope to get mine finished for the maiden trip this summer to get the bugs worked out and then a longer trip this fall

mike
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m and m View Post
....... my window wood was also damaged, the 5 windows on mine were put in dry, then just SILICONE around the frame.
mike

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #27

Michigan
Registry
Hi Mike,
Thx for your info on the hot water heater for our trailer. We were just looking at the pix of your rig and hubby figured that was where your hot water heater was when your post came thru.
Keep us posted on your work in progress. We really enjoy watching this transformation. If by chance your longer trip in the fall takes you to the beautiful Michigan area; we are having a 2nd annual Glassic Egg Scramble at Algonac State Park the weekend after Labor Day. Would love to see your completed "labor of love" in person!!
Ellen