Mary in Pennsylvania - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner
Georgia
Welcome Mary. Since it seems important to your plans, do you know how is Idgie as a traveler? OK with a few hours in the Wrangler? And in the small space that the trailer would necessarily be? Transferring between them? I think the 10 year-old tortie next to me on the couch mostly likes my company, but she also likes having a few other rooms to go to, and I expect lengthy travelling to be a challenge she would have trouble overcoming. Definitely not something I'd want to jump into without learning what I could on that beforehand.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:44 PM   #16

Name: Mary
Trailer: Currently shopping
Pennsylvania
Thanks, Jon. Yes, I do plan to do some longer test trips to make sure I can handle fulltiming. I have a friend who fulltimed for 6 months and she just can't wait to get back out on the road again, and I have now been researching madly for 4 months (I wrote that awhile ago and had to move it from where I originally posted it), so I feel like I do understand quite a bit of what I'm attempting to bite off here, and it hasn't daunted me yet. We'll see!

Old 11-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Bob, good points all, thanks for asking. Actually, because she's blind, Idgie prefers not to have too much space to range in. For her, the smaller, the better. She loves nothing more than when it's just her and me in a single room, usually my office. She's "velcro kitty." She doesn't travel well in the Wrangler for the first hour, until she realizes we're not going to the vet. After that, she's happy as a clam. I'm actually more concerned with how she'll handle me leaving her in the trailer while I go do other things. That will be a major issue if she freaks out, and that's one reason I intend to do shorter trips before committing.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Hi, all. Thanks so much for your input! In fact, I have been nearly addicted to YouTube for the past 4 months, watching almost nothing but RV videos. Cheap RV Living and all the ones noted above, plus quite a few others. I've heard of Nomadland by Jessica Bruder but haven't gotten it yet, only because right now I'm throughly ensconced in The RV Bible. I will be getting Nomadland when I finish that and Becky Schade's book about solo fulltiming in her Casita 17 (which is, I think, what I'd ideally like to have, but I'm aware of the weight issue). I want a shower and have found a 16' Casita with one and a layout I like, though I will rip out the dinette and replace it with a small office desk and chair, because I will be working full time. I also find the large beds annoying. I don't need that much bed, all I'm gonna be doing in it is sleeping. I may actually rip that out, too, and replace it with an RV weight recliner, since I have a bad back and often can't sleep lying down anyway. I will be boondocking as much as possible to save money, so a towable makes more sense since I don't want to have to unhook and rehitch all the time. I'm not worried about driving and towing. I have good common sense, I learn quickly, and I'm going to get a weight distribution and sway control hitch to help with that. I will absolutely be installing 300 watts of solar and backing that up with a quiet generator that I intend to use as little as possible. I am definitely going to be investigating a CLAM screen room, since I can work on my laptop outside when I don't need my desktop iMac for graphic work (yes, I'm bringing that along, hence the need for the office desk instead of dinette, which I wouldn't use anyway). I'm following Technomadia quite a bit for help on those issues and others. In my former lives, I have been both a cop (1 year) and an auto mechanic (3 years), so I can take care of myself pretty well. I think this will be more of an attitude adjustment than anything else. I took stock of my everyday life this year and realized that out of the five rooms of my 1100 sq. ft. apartment, I basically use my recliner and TV, my drawing table, office, bathroom and kitchen sink and fridge. I almost never sleep in my bedroom, as mentioned. So, when I add that all up, I think it's very doable for me to live in a 16 footer. I will admit that I think I'd have less trepidation about perhaps a 19- or 20- footer, but aside from the towing weight restriction, I think those larger units would also be more limiting about where I could take it, and I am really trying to be more minimalist. I've been feeling burdened by all my stuff in recent months and I just want rid of it. So there's where I'm at right now, and very much appreciate all your input. Thanks again!
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Hi Mary, sure sounds like you've been doing the homework and have a plan for the future . Your ideas of interior changes to have it work for your lifestyle seem well thought out. The only thing I saw and wanted to mention was the WDH. With your tug and a 16' Scamp you shouldn't be close to needing one.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
thinking about you

I have a 13f scamper no b/r we have had it out for as much as a week we plan on hitting quartzite in late jan for a month. i just don't see how we can be happy out much longer than that. we also have a small dog we have left her in the camper for a few hours other than that we don't do it people will turn you in for the smallest things now regarding animals believe me i know. we got turned it for tying her up outside a restaurant for 1/2 hour and she was in the shade!

camping out in one of these is much different than attempting to live in one f/t. there are just so many things we need in our normal everyday lives that just aren't available in a small camper

traveling and using campgrounds will not be cheap even our state parks here are 22.00 with el. and plumbing you can barebone camp for 11.00 ! i would say 30.00 a night at the more upscale places. to give you an idea in feb we took a 6k trip we boondocked all the way we still spent 600.00 on fuel not counting food and such!

then can you really count on wireless wifi in these camps? i sincerely doubt it so what then you say you make your living using a computer? I wouldn't attempt to use wifi for serious work ever!

no matter your capabilities you will have problems out on the highway or in the campground from time to time do you want to deal with that? with my recent back surgery i had a blowout not too long ago if someone hadn't came by and helped me i would have had to call a shop!

my advice buy a nice used camper i see them for around 5k listed here i know i think cheap that is what i paid for our 13f scamper. then you will have the expense getting your tug ready. go out and try it for a week or 2 and see how you like it.

while flying for long hours on our Europe trips i got to know the flight attendants they all have more or less a sleeping room setup with bath. a bedroom with a communal kitchen. This would be a lot cheaper to you than a 1100 sq foot apartment. then you could have the best of both worlds!!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #21

Name: julie
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Idaho
Hi Mary. Good for you! I would recommend reading rvsue blog. Start at the beginning. Much like u she hadnít rvíd before, sold her household & has now been traveling the west for 5 years in a casita. Iíve learned much from her & this forum as well as the Escape forum. FYI I travel solo in a 17 Escape but still maintain a home base. Full timing not for me.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
First, camping and good internet connection are just about mutually exclusive concepts. I have yet to have gotten a good internet connection at a campground, it might be out there somewhere, but its hiding pretty good!

Secondly, rent a camper and take a two or three week trip. You need to figure out whether you even like it. Also figure out what features are a must have for you. For example, my wife will not camp without AC and a bathroom, period. On AC, realize its not about the weather where you live, its the weather where you are going to camp. Even Florida in the winter, we find we need AC.

Bathroom, without getting personal here, but if you get up in the night, you are going to want a bathroom.

Molded fiberglass trailers are on the small end of the camper world. On the other end, you have these massive fifth wheels with multiple tip outs, or these super sized motorhomes.

Once you decide whether a molded fiberglass trailer is for you, head to a rally so you can tour several brands in one stop. Most of the molded trailers are sold factory direct, you are not going to see them at your nearby RV dealer (OK, they are two exceptions, but otherwise forget it).

And don't assume your current vehicle is up to the task of towing any trailer. The weight of trailers is usually understated (so called dry weight) and the capability of most tow vehicles is overstated.

I met a couple in their 40s that have been full timing in a Trillium 1300 (13 foot trailer). Small bed, no AC, no bathroom. They love it!

Boondocking sounds like a great concept, but realize that means no water and no power (and no internet either). You are going to need your own power source (likely solar) and a decent sized fresh water tank (and decent sized black and gray water tanks). Some molded trailers don't come with any water tanks at all. And some don't come with a furnace either.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
All good points Bill.

I do have one comment though about internet access. I don't rely on campground Wi-Fi at all. Instead, I use a roof mounted 3G/4G antenna connected to an inside power amplifying cradle. Sometimes I have no signal, but you'd be surprised. In some of the more remote sites I've boondocked, I did indeed have internet access.

Having said all that, it's a moot point unless you have a good data plan.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #24

North Carolina
Yes I am hopeful 5G or the generation after it will eliminate my need for cable internet and be good on the road too.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cost

bill I am a dumard on all this 5g data plan stuff what does this cost a month?

thanks

bob
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #26

North Carolina
Each generation of wireless service gets much faster. 5G is the fifth generation expected to roll out in a couple of years. Most of us are all now running 4G. My plan goes to slower rates once I use up the data limit. You can tell the loss of speed immediately.

3G was about 100 times faster than 2G. 4G is about 100 times faster than 3G. 5G is expected to be as much as 100 times faster than 4G. Even if it under delivers on speed, it’s going to be a lot faster.

We are probably a couple of years away from 5G.

Once we go to 5G we will need new devices.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #27

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hello Mary! What part of PA? My mother finished high school in McKeesport near Pittsburgh. I spent a very nice week in the Poconos KOA while DH traveled back home to look for stuff. Unfortunately, my cell phones and the WiFi didn't work in the campground. Had to travel to Dunkin Donuts whenever I wanted to get online. We use Verizon because I had it at work and it worked almost everywhere. I was surprised to learn it DIDNT work everywhere.

You've made a good start by training Idgie that every car trip does not end up at the vets. That is one of the most important things to accustom your cat to travel. My clowder is very used to traveling BUT the senior doesn't like it at all. The other 3 are okay with travelling. They are escape artists and they have learnt to vibrate the little window cover on the screen door latch until it opens and they can unlatch the door. We've had some unforgettable hours chasing the youngest one about campgrounds crawling under big rigs and praying the rv owners aren't carrying firearms if we accidently wake them. One of the most important things we did for travelling is1. take pictures of them and 2. microchip them. I am also going to engrave a tag for my keychain saying I TRAVEL WITH 4 CATS just in case I am non communicative after an accident.

The suggestion to actually eyeball the campers is most important. During my years of lurking I got pretty fixated on Rpods, that they were an answer to all my needs. When I actually got to see one at an RV dealers I was very disappointed in it. So you need to actually look at stuff and see how you and Idgie would fit in.

This may be a very slight consideration, but during our monthlong trip to Newfoundland I realized how aggravating it is not to have a closet. I'v gotten a tension rod and use it to hang stuff in the bathroom while parked(like bath towels). It falls down in transit, and I've started thinking about putting it in the tug for travel. There are many little aggravations such as that, and it helps to know them in advance and check if your modifications are satisfactory prior to actually starting out.

Just FWIW I lurked for 12 years (not all of them here!) on RV sites prior to actually ordering mine. During that time my needs, wants and desires kept changing. Remember that your physical health may change too. At 35 my retirement plan was to backpack the Appalachian Trail! Nevr crossed my mind that physically I might not be able to do it.

That leads to another question- health. Travelling with a chronic illness and no primary doctor can lead you to all sorts of frustrations as you try to get health care from Doc-in-a-boxes and ERs. Rather than fulltime, you might keep a home base somewhere and have a doctor of record somewhere. However, the doctor may wind up retiring and then you have to deal with whoever takes over the practice...

I love my Lil Snoozy but was very aware of the need to purchase a tug that could handle 2400 pounds. It is easier to purchase a vehicle than to purchase a camper. Love our tow vehicle. It's something you might want to consider. Your "official" statistics might not be what you wind up with. So keep an open mind about tow vehicles.

My LilSnoozy is great, but it is all electric and many have derided the ability of a Snoozy to boondock. My Honda Generator works great to keep heaters or airconditioners going, DH prefers not to cook at our campsite, but if he changes his mind I am going to get a portable SunOven and practice solar cooking. I did use a crocpot plugged into a power port and sitting on the auto floor this past autumn. It did work but I worried about spillage- a lot.

Here's hoping you enjoy the next year as you learn more about RV camping (PS DH and I had never RV camped prior to picking up our LiSnoozy also. It's much, much easier than backpacking!)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #28

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
consider having propane connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildheart61 View Post
Hi, I'm Mary. I'm a full time freelance writer in my mid-50s, seriously considering fulltiming starting at the beginning of 2019. Figure that gives me time to locate, buy and customize the right rig, learn more about the full-timing lifestyle and do massive downsizing so I can head out on the road free and clear. I've never RVed even once in my life, and more than one friend and family member thinks I'm nuts. But I've always been curious, never been less encumbered or had less to lose, and I'm not getting any younger. If I do it, I'll be traveling with my little blind cat, Idgie, and boondocking as much as possible. I can work anywhere I have a good Internet connection. I've been researching for two months now, and it appears to me that FGRVs are the way to go for light weight that's still strong and well insulated. My TV will be a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, so I can tow 3,500 lbs. Would greatly appreciate any and all advice for a true newbie. Thanks!
One thing to consider that we would NOT do without is the propane connection for cooking and running fridge when not camping with electric. It gives you so much freedom to chose cheaper rustic (and often more beautiful) sites. And you can stop along the road to heat up a can of soup!

« Hi | - »