MI Finally got my FG egg! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
MI Finally got my FG egg!

First looked at these 5 or 6 years ago, along with small stickies. Just could not see taking on the payments for a new camper.

Our "other" camper being a 38 foot school bus I converted That sleeps 9 was great with the kids but a little overkill for just the DW and I doing week end trips. So most of our camping in recent years has been tenting.

Buddy at work picked up this 1977 scamp for a few hundred in pretty rough condition from sitting, replaced wheels,tires, bearings and floor covering and started using it. I knew the green monster envy at his luck.

Then one day at staff meeting he mentioned he was going to sell it since camping with an infant and a baby was not happening. DW and I went to see it the day before Labor Day weekend. Drove home with it on the back.

Took it camping that week-end, spend the first day in the campground scrubbing elephant hide in 90 degree weather. Next day it stormed and was cold. We were snug and dry with no wet tent to deal with when we got home. Oh JOY!

I am really looking forward to our first full season using the camper and not having to load and unload camping gear from the utility trailer. That was one thing I missed from the Bus. Having all the camping stuff ready to go.

I have some work ahead of me, I am not planning to "restore" the scamp as a museum piece or modify it (much) but after 35 years it is time for a complete maintanence overhaul to deal with all the things that have not been addressed for years. This site is an amazing, stupenous, supper duper resource for that project.

I will post some notes on what I do, and how. And where I get stuff in the hopes that it will encourage others.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Roger. My Scamp isn't a museum piece either.. although I'm the third owner of a 24 year old trailer. It's almost in original condition. But, I prefer to be comfortable and make memories along the way. Sounds like you're in a similar situation.

Yes, encourage others... me too!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Roger, have a great time doing what you want to the Scamp. Most people don't try to restore, they make them comfortable and fitting to their own needs.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #4

Michigan
Some rivet sealing, caulking and cleaning got me started

I had to start by sealing it for winter. That involved removing all the evil silicon caulk from around the windows where it was doing what silicon caulk does, coming unstuck.

I then really cleaned the outside. Using a scrub brush, green pot scrubber pad and a pressure washer gently. That pot scrubber was mostly to get the silicon caulk cleaned off.

I recaulked with acrilic latex door and window caulk using a very tiny tip and "pushing" the caulk bead between window frame and body. I'm not sure if this is the "best" choice but the caulk came through the winter well and won't make pulling the windows and redoing the putty a problem when I get around to it.

Then I was looking at a LOT of rivets and NO snap caps. Hmmm I was just reading on this site about sealing the connections for trailer plug with Liquid electrical tape. Liquid electral tape comes in white. Stands up to weather but can be removed. Had a ureka moment.

I used a small art brush to just dab a little in the center and cover the head enough to seal the edges. No caulk bumps all over my trailer.

Liquid electrical tape in white matched so well I used it for some stress cracks in the gel coat at a window corner to keep water from getting in the cracks and causing more damage by freezing. Still looks good this spring.

I purchased a 3M stripe remover at a local auto paint store which made getting the old ratty three tree decals off easy. As in less than 15 minutes to cleanly remove all three. Cost $25 bucks but since I need to replace the stripes and Scamp lettering eventually I figure it was worth it.

I also purchased some of the same fiberglass polish sold at scamp store at the auto paint shop. Really fine grit since I'm not going to rub out 35 years of pitting without taking most of the gel coat off. Just a little polishing, seal and protect was my goal. Did get rid of some stubborn black run down stains that made it through my previous cleaning.

Did the polishing work by hand. I know enough to know I am not a professional at doing fiberglass with a power buffing wheel. Not going to over-do-it with a soft rag and elbow grease.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I had to start by sealing it for winter. That involved removing all the evil silicon caulk from around the windows where it was doing what silicon caulk does, coming unstuck.

I then really cleaned the outside. Using a scrub brush, green pot scrubber pad and a pressure washer gently. That pot scrubber was mostly to get the silicon caulk cleaned off.

I recaulked with acrilic latex door and window caulk using a very tiny tip and "pushing" the caulk bead between window frame and body. I'm not sure if this is the "best" choice but the caulk came through the winter well and won't make pulling the windows and redoing the putty a problem when I get around to it.
Smart man! Silicone was developed by the DEVIL (IMHO). The best way to seal windows is to pull them and reapply with butyl. But, what you've done so far works for you, works for us,,,

Check out the topic for shining up in exterior... long post worth reading.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #6

Michigan
Thanks for the encouragment. Wife will be happy if it looks good. I'll be happy if it works dependably. And both happy if we get to go camping, lots of camping.

I will miss being able to go way back in the state and national forest on the fire trails. Not enough ground clearence. Maybe an axel mod is in my distant future... for now one daughter is happy that when she joins us no longer will she have to borrow our small backpacking tent but gets to use our big dome tent.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #7

Michigan
Donna,
Thanks for the link to the thread on ReddMax. Did not read all (yet) but does answer what I'm going to use to clean up alum. Barkeepers friend.

Sounds like I will want to do my decals and replace the cord port, water fill and yes strip all the silicon caulk off the belly band and fridge vent first. I just got my order from scamp store. Including butyl tape. Will be using that as a seal for the plastic parts and fridge vent.

One of the things I am going to be keeping track of is what size rivets I take out of each piece I replace. Will post what I find fits from scamp store to put it back on with.

Will also have to fix front window. Glass is semi-sealed in with silicon caulk and while I have the locking handles for the jalousie windows the brackets are broken. Found this thread on fixing these windows and a scource of supply for seals and glazing strips.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42049.html

Really great sharing community. Will have to make it to a rally when there is one in the Mich. or Ohio area. But only after I have gotten rid of all the silicon demons that haunt this camper.