Mity Lite Spacemaster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: 1986 Mity Lite
Oregon
Mity Lite Spacemaster

I am so happy I found this group. Tonight I will be purchasing what I believe to be a Mity Lite Spacemaster trailer. After much googling, I was able to find this site and actually ID the trailer, as there are no identifying markers and the side windows were fiberglassed in (which I hope to reverse and have cut out) and the pop top has been sealed shut (which I also hope to reverse).

To make this trailer even more interesting, it actually has 2 (yes, two) top hinged doors (one on each side of the trailer). Though I've only known of these trailers for a short, short time, I've not seen one with 2 doors. I don't know the year and will post pictures as soon as possible. I do know that I will need guidance on making the pop top open again and having a canvas company make new canvas. Please provide any information that might help as I look at this trailer today and set forth on a course to customize and make it one of a kind. I truly feel in love with this rough little trailer and cannot wait to see it and bring it home. I am happy to be a member of this group and look forward to sharing photos soon. Safe and happy travels!!
Attached Thumbnails
MityLiteOrgExt1.jpg   MityLitOrgExt2.jpg  

MityLiteIntOrg.jpg   MityLiteOrgInt2.jpg  

BurdHouse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Cool! Can't wait to see the pictures and what you are going to do with it.

Welcome to FGRV, and happy camping!!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
That's a Mity rare find. Congratulations and good luck on your project. Some pictures would be very welcome, especially since the few other threads don't have many. Two doors?, hmmm. That seems unique. Looking forward to seeing more.

Walt
Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
Right on! Snatch that thing up! A couple years ago a Guy sold one he got at an estate sale and fixed it up before selling it. Can't miss it if you see it, he painted it a solid Blue color. He said a lady was in contact with him that had a custom one built for her from the factory and it had two entry doors. I tried to get her contact info from him but he never followed though. I wonder if that's the trailer.? I would guess most likely. That's great for you. Make sure you get in touch with SPAGHETTIROAD. He did a great job recently restoring his Mity-Lite and is a great communicator and I'll bet he'll be more then happy to give you pointers as will the rest of us with any info of value we might have. I look forward to the pics.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Julie. We haven't seen a Mity Lite for a while. I'd like to invite you to join a bunch of at next month at Beverly Beach! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-75925.html

You might find this link of interest: Fiberglass RV - Miti-Lite Trailers

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #6

SW Virginia
As I mentioned earlier, there are very few pictures in those threads and I'd love to see more.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quite a few pics here:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...h=505&dpr=1.67

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #8

SW Virginia
Wow, I'd say. That's quite a collection. Thanks Charlie.
Say, anyone know whar the leftmost picture in the 17th row is?
Looks to be a MFGT, but unlike anything I've seen.

Walt
Old 03-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Wow, I'd say. That's quite a collection. Thanks Charlie.
Say, anyone know whar the leftmost picture in the 17th row is?
Looks to be a MFGT, but unlike anything I've seen.

Walt
The 17th row for me, the photo in that position is two chairs
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #10

Name: J.
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Screen width and resolution determine position, my 17 down and far left is one black chair on a white background
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #11

SW Virginia
The one just below that with all the oval windows.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #12

Oregon
Pictures posted...

Hi again...

I've attached pictures of my new Mity Lite trailer. It has cabinet structure in front and back, similar to VW style. The doors are not latching and will be the 2nd task as I start. First will be to get a good set of trailer tires!!! The pop top has a skylite too (it too needs work). The pop top is currently sealed and working on that is not a huge priority... we'll use it as tear drop camping until then.

Enjoy the pictures!! I'm going to be knee deep in a project. Please offer any and all input. I very much appreciate it! I look to get a start on things this weekend. I am so excited!!!

Happy camping!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:30 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Neat little rigs Julie, nice find. When you say the lid is sealed how do you mean....bolts, fiber glassed or? Give us a few pics of that and the doors you need work on .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 AM   #14

Oregon
I believe the pop top is sealed with sice type of caulk as I don't believe there are screws and can feel what I believe to be some type of caulk between the top and body.
As for the TWO doors, neither close completely with their locking mechanisms not working and the shocks not attached. Guy I bought it from winched down the doors for transport. The main door in the passenger side also has a crack in its fiberglass. Both are missing their rubber seals. I am not sure if the doors are osomething I'm going to be able to fix or if I'll have to take somewhere, though not sure where I would take other than an auto body shop. I'll have to investigate further. There is a little water getting inside from the door (I believe it's actually the window seal) so I've tarped them.
Wish me luck! Julie
I live in Portland OR so I need to get her garaged due to endless rain. If anyone is close, I will gladly show her off though she has much work to be done. I am not overwhelmed and will tackle things "one bite at a time", so to speak. I can be reached at houserj625@gmail.com or through this site. I will also post pictures when I get more taken. Thank you and happy camping! The rain can STOP any time now.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:27 AM   #15

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Door repair.

If the doors are fiberglass, take the one with a crack to some boatyards and find someone that repairs fiberglass. Check prices and look at some of their work. Boat yard people do lots of fiberglass repair. Since you will be painting it, matching gel coat color will not be necessary and can save some money. As for the door seals, I bet you can find something at a builder supply store. Ron
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:02 AM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurdHouse1 View Post
I am so happy I found this group. Tonight I will be purchasing what I believe to be a Mity Lite Spacemaster trailer. After much googling, I was able to find this site and actually ID the trailer, as there are no identifying markers and the side windows were fiberglassed in (which I hope to reverse and have cut out) and the pop top has been sealed shut (which I also hope to reverse).

To make this trailer even more interesting, it actually has 2 (yes, two) top hinged doors (one on each side of the trailer). Though I've only known of these trailers for a short, short time, I've not seen one with 2 doors. I don't know the year and will post pictures as soon as possible. I do know that I will need guidance on making the pop top open again and having a canvas company make new canvas. Please provide any information that might help as I look at this trailer today and set forth on a course to customize and make it one of a kind. I truly feel in love with this rough little trailer and cannot wait to see it and bring it home. I am happy to be a member of this group and look forward to sharing photos soon. Safe and happy travels!!
:I think this style of trailer originally came with a boat on top?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #17

SW Virginia
Thanks for the pictures Julie.
For fiberglass work I recommend contacting local marinas. That has worked very well for me.

Walt
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #18

Oregon
Boat...Questions for the forum

Yes, it did come with a boat but the guy I bought it from said that when he tried to purchase the boat (with the camper) the seller upset him and he walked away. Does the boat add-on feature change anything, as I am not a boater and wouldn't have used it with my remodel (or very unlikely).

I like the thought of having the doors fixed by a boat repair shop. Since the one is cracked and neither fully shut (at least the latching mechanism doesn't work, the door shocks are off {or not working} and the bottoms of each door appear to not seal or bow out a bit {no seals on the doors}, I was thinking I might take the Mity Lite in and have a boat repair shop fix the doors, put back the windows and possibly unseal the pop-top. The previous owner built a cedar frame and put plexi glass in it, so it goes around the skylight opening. Said to finish it with a tinted dome/vent cover. I am not sure this is how it was supposed to be/look or function. If anyone knows, please let me know.

I've not seen a Mity Lite EVER so I don't know how they function or look in person ...only seeing pictures of them online. If any MITY owners are close to the Portland area, I would LOVE to visit and see your MITY! I am thrilled this little gem did not get scrapped. More to come...
Questions: Since it is SO lite, should the tires be TRAILER tires or regular passenger? I've only owned travel trailers and have always put on trailer tires for safety reasons....
Where might I purchase the hydraulic door lifts, as I will need all four? maybe even the size so I can purchase ahead of time for the repair shop.
Any ideas on the side windows? One can barely see the outline of where they were fiber-covered into the trailer... Guess maybe I could customize and put larger windows if desired....any windows, maybe? Thoughts???
Thoughts on the skylight?

Thank you. I will try to post pictures in the next couple days. My partner and I are extremely happy to OWN said Mity Lite and are trying to figure a name for our little camper! Thank you.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
check out perfectfit.com for rubber seals for the doors, or maybe a company that supplies door and trim seals for vintage cars. I think Steele is one company. Some Uhaul camper owners have found that the door seal from a Chrysler product minivan sliding door works. Camper windows can be found on eBay, but you'll want to get a window close to the correct size before you go cutting a hole. Windows from Scamp are reasonably priced, custom built windows are expensive. Try Amazon and eBay for lift cylinders.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #20

Oregon
Thank you. I will check those sites out. Is there a certain hydraulic lift size that I should be looking for? I would like to have many of the pieces bought when taken for fiberglass work. I am not that familiar with fiberglass....will I have to get windows close to what was there originally or can I look to go a bit larger? Don't want to wreck stability/integrity, but I don't know if windows would? Thank you!

Julie