More Questions than Answers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

Name: ken
Trailer: in the market
New York
More Questions than Answers

Hi, My name is Ken and have been an outdoors person for 60+ years. In the 70’s we traveled across the county for 2 and 3 months at a time living in a pup tent. Yea ! Young and basic. Now we are at that time in life where one reflects on all the great things that have passed to date and what stands out, and have that same desire to again “hit the road” and get into this amazing country. We are, for sure, not doing it in a pup tent (too hard on the knees and back) hehe. Within all this excitement comes some questions and concerns and I would love any and all feedback from you seasoned RV’rs.

Which RV? So far I really like the size and function of the Lill Snoozy. My preference would not be an electric RV but an LP unit. Can anyone who has converted it to give some insight? I don’t believe the mfg. offers this service

Where to stay? At the risk of sounding elitist or stupid, I really do not cherish the idea of hanging out at RV parks. I love people, but at a distance. When camping I have always looked for primitive spots, pit toilets etc. Is there a publication or web sites that give direction to quiet, semi-private – boondock places?
Looking forward to your suggestions.
Ken & C
Brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Ken and welcome. We like public campgrounds. From primitive BLM to State parks with showers. There are lots of sources to find these places. Many apps, both free and charged. For primative camping, the west has a lot more opportunities than the east. East of the Mississippi national forest campgrounds are the easiest to find. Here's a site you will find interesting. Raz

Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Hello Ken, Welcome.

While I have no particular resources to give you off-hand, I know there are plenty out there. Other folks with more information will be along shortly, I'm sure, to add to Raz's suggestion.

I just wanted to suggest you check out State resources as well as national. I know here in Michigan there are the State Parks, but less publicized are the DNR State Forest Campgrounds. These are usually quite small, very primitive, and, if I recall, about $6 per night. The ones I'm familiar with offer hand pump water, Pit toilets, picnic tables and a fire ring. First come, first serve, pay by iron ranger. No reservations accepted.

Youtube offers many videos of travelers who give their recommendations for boondocking as well.

Have fun.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
For a camper more LP oriented, there are other choices, Ken. I'm sure you're aware of Scamp 13 and 16 units as well as the Casita models.

A lesser known unit, perhaps, might be the WeisCraft trailers. Might want to also check those out. Affordable, lightweight and basic. Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers

Best regards are your new adventures.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I can certainly understand your interest in the Lil Snoozy for its unique layout. I'd suggest trying to contact member David B (a fellow Arizonan). He has added propane systems to his Lil Snoozy and I believe he does some off-grid camping. I haven't seen any posts recently, so he may be on the road, but you could try a private message.

You could also do some searching of old threads. David and one or two others have posted some of their work adding LP systems to Lil Snoozy trailers. Make sure to use "Site Search/Google" at the bottom of the search menu on the website for best results.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
More Questions than Answers

If you want a camper that you can truly have customized look a Escape rv. That have a lot of options that they will install they will even install some items you supply.
Check out this website for camp sights, they also have a app for your phone.
http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/uc3/index.php

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
If you love natural campsites focus on state and national parks and use the Internet to request state campground directories. Most states will send you their current directories free for the asking.

If you like camping in nature you might look at RV units that offer both electric and propane. I added a generator (quiet inverter type) to my equipment...it makes staying longer a lot easier.

Noticed you live in New York State....try this website: campadk.com. It lists all state managed campgrounds featuring actual pictures of each campsite. Most of these natural Adirondack Park campgrounds are on pristine lakes in natural unspoiled settings...no electric hookups...drinking water spigots located throughout the campground...large lakefront or wilderness sites...dump stations so you can empty your holding tanks...every park I have camped at has been fantastic.

Buy whatever suits your needs. This is the season for RV Shows...there is one in Saratoga Springs (Wilton Mall) New York starting Feb 19 thru the 28.
Also check out sites like. Craigslist for used RV campers.
RV Shows will open your eyes to what is available. Do not restrict you shopping to any one type of camper. Look at a variety of units before you buy...note the tow weight of any unit that interests you and know what your tow vehicle will handle safely!

Another important point since you will be new to towing.
I bought my first travel trailer back in 1983. The dealer would not let me leave his lot until I had complete instructions on every aspect of the unit I bought. He set up my tow vehicle with all equipment I needed including sway control, trailer brake controllers etc. his instructions were invaluable and he insisted I call him anytime I had any questions. The importance of a good start and excellent instructions cannot be overlooked. Dealer services are important for both your enjoyment of RV camping and your safety! To this day I still use his check list and thank god I had his instructions from the very start.

Good Luck...welcome back...Happy Camping!!!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
If you want a trailer that's a pup tent on wheels try the teardrop trailers, e.g. Vistabule Teardrop Trailers.
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

New York
WOW Thanks all for quick returns. Saratoga Springs in very close to a mountain cabin we have. Will Visit next week. Would love to connect with gent who converted his Lill Snoozy..... to LP
Ken
Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Here's another very nice option.

ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers - – Take me somewhere fun! ™

Walt
Old 02-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Brewman, In the evident that you do visit the Wilton Mall Saratoga Springs RV Show and would like some "non-salesman" guidance from a veteran RVer I could meet you at that show. Email me at. granahanpatrick@yahoo.com if interested. Always willing to help someone new to the RV lifestyle by sharing over 30 years of the RV life. Far to many new RV campers make way too many mistakes when they select a new travel trailer. I was lucky enough to have guidance when I started by journey.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just be aware, Ken, that you will find few, if any, of the molded fiberglass manufacturers represented at RV shows. For the most part they are small, factory-direct operations with minimal presence in the mainstream RV circuit. They put more of their revenue into product instead of marketing.

There are several ways to get a firsthand look at molded fiberglass options.
  • Visit a molded fiberglass rally in your area. Many have a time set aside for open house tours, and even if not, visitors are usually welcome. Contact event hosts for guidance. Heres a link to the 2016 Rally Map.
  • Contact the sales department at a manufacturer your are interested in. Most keep a file of owners willing to demo their trailers for prospective customers (and get a bonus if a sale results).
  • Post a request here with information about where you're located and what makes(s) and model(s) you'd like to see. There may be a nearby forum member willing to give you a tour.
The first is the best way to see many makes and models at one time if you don't yet have a clear idea of which might work for you.

And by all means, consider other non-molded-fiberglass options as well. Somewhere out there is the right one for you!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
And by all means, consider other non-molded-fiberglass options as well.
Horrors. Did you really say that?

Walt
Old 02-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Horrors. Did you really say that?

Walt

I saw that too. And to think that the OP asked for assistance......not to be sent down a dead end road to stickie-ville!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #15

New York
Patrick, Thanks for the offer. I will let you know.
Ken
Old 02-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
I'm more into basic camping .I have a 2014 Scamp 13 , which I've enjoyed &I recommend . I also have a Kompact Kamp , which is a "small " pop-up . I can pull it with my Miata ! Because I enjoy the journey as much, if not more than the destination , I'll probably sell the Scamp & stick with the Kompack Kamp . This is a great motorcycle camper ( I pulled it with my GL 1200 before I got old , 77 ) . If you travel alone , this is the way I would go .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Sorry , You said "we". I would not recommend this for 2 persons unless you really are into tight camping .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We are about 20 miles south of Albany NY. Have shown our trailers a few times to people that were trying to decide what size they wanted or would work for them. Vintage teardrop, Uhaul 13, Casita 17
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote