My "new" 1983 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

Name: RoseMarie
Trailer: 1983 Scamp and 1981 Scotty
Virginia
My "new" 1983 Scamp

I've been reading these posts for years in anticipation of finding my own hunk o' fiberglass. Well, I found it at the end of May in a 1983 Scamp and brought 'im home. Haven't named 'im, yet. (I keep referring to it as 'im because it looks like a boy camper to me).

Some of you may have met 'im before I ever saw 'im. He was already all dressed up and came to Virginia by way of Minnesota (according to the woman who sold 'im to me). If you know anything about my lil guy's previous life, I'd love to hear about 'im. He's a real cutie and tows nicely. So far, I've only camped in 'im once--in a friend's field on my way home from Maryland to back to Virginia.

I'm a civil officiant since 1995. (I write and perform wedding ceremonies and complete the legal paperwork. I also officiate funerals.) So far, I haven't done any weddings while camping but, am certainly open to the idea.

--RoseMarie
Attached Thumbnails
1983scamp6.jpg  
RoseMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Thumbs up nice

good to have
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Wow! That is a cute little guy! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
RoseMarie, welcome to the FGRV forum family, and congrats on your good looking find.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #5

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Talking

He's a real cutie, but are you going to change 'im to 'er? He definitely looks like a boy's camper with all that car racing theme. Not that girls don't like race cars too. Congratulations on your new trailer - have fun!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #6

Name: Sallie
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
I just bought an '82 Scamp 13' camper. That is, I was told that it was an '82, but I can't read VIN number. Mine has rounded windows that slide. Wonder what year they changed from the rectangular windows to the rounded one. I'm just trying to learn about mine. Your little buddy is fine!
Scamper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Virginia
Whoever had him before me, put a lot of work into his paint and decoration. The glass on the door has the racing flags, the little window above the sink has the flags, too. Was thinking of changing the black checks to burgundy to match my '03 CV Sport (tow vehicle) but, those are a lot of checks!

I was especially glad to discover how to lock the bloomin' door from the inside by reading posts on this site. My first night camping, my door was unlocked all night. I had my two little dogs with me, but they scream like little girls and hide behind me when they get scared. LOL I had found the perfect nail and was going to make a decorative top on it and brought it in the house and can't find it. So, I bought a little box of 4D finishing nails and they fit, but 6D might fit a little tighter. In any event, the information saved me from messing up my door trying to install a locking mechanism.

--RoseMarie
Georgie and ChooChoo
Old 07-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper51 View Post
I just bought an '82 Scamp 13' camper. That is, I was told that it was an '82, but I can't read VIN number. Mine has rounded windows that slide. Wonder what year they changed from the rectangular windows to the rounded one. I'm just trying to learn about mine. Your little buddy is fine!
From reading on this site, it seems that 1983 started with the crank windows, but I don't know that for a fact.

Were you told how to lock the Scamp from the inside? The folks I bought mine from didn't know and the wife didn't care because her husband was a young, buff military man (a kid about 29, really) so she figured she was safe. LOL She probably was, too.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Eve

Name: Eve
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug
West Virginia
I must not have read that post. How do you lock it from the inside?
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

Virginia
How to lock a Scamp camper from the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve View Post
I must not have read that post. How do you lock it from the inside?

From inside, look at the door handle. Underneath the door handle, on the plate on which the door handle is assembled, is a hole. You simply slide a nail all the way into the hole! It keeps the handle from being able to be moved up or down. I found that a size 4D finishing nail works but, am going to try the next larger size (6D) and see if it's a little more snug.

You can only lock it like this while inside the camper. You still must use the key to lock it when you're not in it.

I just love how simple and inexpensive it is to replace the interior "key". LOL
Old 07-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #11

Name: Sallie
South Carolina
what if you don't have a key? Can they be made? Thinking of taking mine to a Locksmith tomorrow to see if he has key blanks.
Scamper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #12

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper51 View Post
what if you don't have a key? Can they be made? Thinking of taking mine to a Locksmith tomorrow to see if he has key blanks.
Just like any other key, I'm sure one could be made. I was lucky and received two with my Scamp.

For my little 1981 Scotty that came with no keys, I went through a bucket of keys I had and actually found one that worked in the door. If you have any small keys lying around, try them and see if you find one that works in your door. My Scamp key isn't as big as a house key. It's more the size of a medium size Master lock key.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseMarie View Post
From inside, look at the door handle. Underneath the door handle, on the plate on which the door handle is assembled, is a hole. You simply slide a nail all the way into the hole! It keeps the handle from being able to be moved up or down. I found that a size 4D finishing nail works but, am going to try the next larger size (6D) and see if it's a little more snug.

You can only lock it like this while inside the camper. You still must use the key to lock it when you're not in it.

I just love how simple and inexpensive it is to replace the interior "key". LOL
Very nice looking Scamp!

When I bought my gutted Scamp 13, I discovered a large cotter key (type used to lock wheel nuts) dangling from a small chain attached to the interior lock.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...h&q=cotter+pin

It took awhile before I figured the end of the cotter key went into that small hole! Works fine, but a little loose.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #14

Virginia
Thanks. I'm very happy with the Scamp and don't plan to change 'is looks any except to add hub caps if I can find a pair that will fit over the center. (Center seems to stick out quite a bit so the pair of half moons I have won't work.)

Cotter pin!! Great idea. It already has a hole in it to hang it. Next time I'm out near a hardware store, I'm getting a couple cotter pins!! It still tickles me that the inside lock is so darn simple. Who'da thunk it?!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #15

Name: Deb
Trailer: 13 ft. Scamp
Colorado
RoseMarie, just fyi: don't put that pin in and close the door from the outside. It will lock and the key won't work to unlock. Taking hinges off is the only way in. Found this out the hard way when I camped with Dennis the Menace aka my grandson last weekend. :0/
Durangodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:00 AM   #16

Virginia
Oh, no, Deb!!! That can't have been any fun.

It hadn't dawned on me that that could happen, mostly because I can't turn the handle of mine without removing the pin so would just let it drop once removed. But, now you can bet I'll keep that thought in mind every time I put the pin in or take it out.

--RM
Old 07-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #17

Name: Deb
Trailer: 13 ft. Scamp
Colorado
Yeah...I duct taped mine to the door to keep little fingers off of it. It was the maiden voyage after three years of fixing up. Sure made for a great first adventure! Good thing Dennis the Menace has a dad like MacGyver and can fix anything. Lol!
Durangodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:19 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
You'll always remember that first trip and have some funny memories from it. Well, it will be a lot more funny later
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #19

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangodeb View Post
Yeah...I duct taped mine to the door to keep little fingers off of it. It was the maiden voyage after three years of fixing up. Sure made for a great first adventure! Good thing Dennis the Menace has a dad like MacGyver and can fix anything. Lol!
Drat! Lost my reply somehow. Anyway...

I don't think my door will close with the pin in it but, next time someone is here I'll test it. I'll ask them to go inside the camper to pull the pin out in case it will close with the pin in the lock. I also want them to try to open the handle from inside, without the pin in it, after I lock it from the outside, to see if it stays locked or if they can open the door. Not expecting anybody for a few days though. LOL
Old 07-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Door latch lock and pin

RoseMarie,

In response to your questions, I tried the experiment on my 83 Scamp. To answer your two questions:

1) Yes, the door will close with the pin in it, and lock you out.

2) Yes, if the door is locked from the outside with the key, it can close and lock someone IN. You can not open the door from the inside as the latch will not retract enough to clear the strike plate. The door has to be unlocked with the key for them to get out.

The one thing that I found annoying with the locking pin on the chain is that it swings while traveling and mars the door finish. To stop that, I put a small magnet on the side of the latch to hold the pin. Problem solved, now just need to clean the marks. Pics attached.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
misc 003.jpg   misc 004.jpg  

Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp