My search is over... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 86 Cadet
Ontario
Registry
My search is over...

Hello! My name is John M from Toronto.

Thanks to FiberglassRV, I was not afraid to buy used.
This site is just fantastic and very educational.

I became serious about buying a small RV a couple of months ago and became a member of FiberglassRV. Living in Toronto, I have a good selection of Trilliums, Bolers and others in the used market (with-in 1-5 hours drive). I went to look at a Trillium 4500 and just fell in love with it. I made an offer to buy. I came home and did a little more research and found my car has a towing capacity of 1000 lb. I was heart broken; I needed another tow vehicle! I called the seller the next day and had to back out of that deal.

I looked at smaller Trilliums and had my mind set to find one in good condition. There was a 13' Burro that I like very much but the price was more than I want to pay. I then found a 13' Cadet 1.5 hour away and weight only 800 lb. I went to look at it and the rest is History. I’m now the proud owner of an 86 Cadet.

This Cadet needs some work. From info I got from other Cadet owners, the front and rear windows are the major concen.

Project ahead:
1 - Strengthen the side wall of this trailer. (previous owner was carrying a boat on the roof and put a lot of stress on the fibreglass wall, the right side is belching at the bottom.)
2 - Insulate (will borrow idea from Andrew GPSMapNut, thanks Andrew...)
3 - Repair small crack rear window.
4 - Insect netting for the pop up roof.
5 - Trip north to Lake Superior in October.

The Cadet was not my first choice but I’m very happy with this little gem. (My wife also like the look of the trailer.)
Attached Thumbnails
Cadet1.jpg  
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
congratulations John!
its a beauty and if i were rich, i would have scooped this one up to! was this the one from the French ad? it looks like something from 2001 A Space Odyssey! i really like the detail on each fiberglass panel.

i am sure you will have it up to speed in no time.
happy camping!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulations John! I think the Cadet is totally cool. Have you looked at the stellar one in the brand albums? Gallery Between the Cadet and the Captain there are 13 pictures. Notice the one of the Cadet with the awning

Now, when do we get to see pictures of yours?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

Trailer: gave up!!
California
Welcome, and congratulations on your Cadet!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #5

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
John,
Great trailer! Now you're going to have to come up with a name to match him/her.
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
Hello! My name is John M from Toronto.

Thanks to FiberglassRV, I was not afraid to buy used.
This site is just fantastic and very educational.

I became serious about buying a small RV a couple of months ago and became a member of FiberglassRV. Living in Toronto, I have a good selection of Trilliums, Bolers and others in the used market (with-in 1-5 hours drive). I went to look at a Trillium 4500 and just fell in love with it. I made an offer to buy. I came home and did a little more research and found my car has a towing capacity of 1000 lb. I was heart broken; I needed another tow vehicle! I called the seller the next day and had to back out of that deal.

I looked at smaller Trilliums and had my mind set to find one in good condition. There was a 13' Burro that I like very much but the price was more than I want to pay. I then found a 13' Cadet 1.5 hour away and weight only 800 lb. I went to look at it and the rest is History. I’m now the proud owner of an 86 Cadet.

This Cadet needs some work. From info I got from other Cadet owners, the front and rear windows are the major concen.

Project ahead:
1 - Strengthen the side wall of this trailer. (previous owner was carrying a boat on the roof and put a lot of stress on the fibreglass wall, the right side is belching at the bottom.)
2 - Insulate (will borrow idea from Andrew GPSMapNut, thanks Andrew...)
3 - Repair small crack rear window.
4 - Insect netting for the pop up roof.
5 - Trip north to Lake Superior in October.

The Cadet was not my first choice but I’m very happy with this little gem. (My wife also like the look of the trailer.)
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #6

Name: Elie
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13'
Colorado
I think that is a sweet one.
Elie BBBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Aliner
John, it looks good and I love the graceful lines.

Congratulations on finding your little gem!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome, and as long as the wife is happy it's all good.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
looks like you have the original window in the front that is many times broken/cracked. VERY expensive (and nearly impossible) to replace. I love the Cadets, they're so unique looking!! Photos of interior would be wonderful! Also, though, be careful of the weight, because you have no idea how it adds up when loading your camping gear. And also some trailer weights are heavier than listed. hehe, I got a trailer and then found out I needed to upsize my tow vehicle, but it was worth it! Congratulations
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
cool looking trailer!
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It is totally angular!
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #12

Name: Nick
Trailer: 1986 13' Cadet
British Columbia
Looks good John! I just bought one of these a day ago, and you posted in my thread as well. I assume your pic above is after you did some work to it?
GTSSportCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Congrats! And you have a unique one too! I love all the brnds with squarish walls and different floorplns!

You'll have a GREAT time with it!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Don't they still make these in Poland? If so, the factory should be a ready source of front windows and other parts, wouldn't it?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 86 Cadet
Ontario
Registry
The picture of the trailer is after I just brought it home. Most work I done was fixing the interior and resealing the windows. It will be getting a paint job this spring. I did change axle and put in electric brakes because I tow it with a small SUV. (Not necessary according to the people who installed it.) This thing pulls nicely; don't even feel it (except when going up a big hill). I have to keep an eye on the engine RPM and the temperature gauge. Big difference to the Appache fold-up tent trailer I had many years ago. I was pulling that with a P/U truck; that thing weighs 3,000lb.

As per Mike's post regarding getting a window from Europe; just costly and a lot of hassles. I fixed the crack using some super glue I brought at sportman show in Toronto. Expensive but it's holding so far.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #16

Name: Shelley
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Congrats on your new trailer. This is my first post and I just bought a 1975 Trillium. Looking forward to meeting fellow fiberglass rv owners. Shelley
Shelley Brinacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Don't they still make these in Poland? If so, the factory should be a ready source of front windows and other parts, wouldn't it?

I think the problem Mike is the cost. They have a lot of catching up to do post communist.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Nice trailer John! Welcome to FGRV
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote