Need Advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 01:40 AM   #21

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
The December issue of Trailer Life showcases 13 different fiberglass trailers, so there might be something in there that would fit your needs.

Good luck! have fun and all that - both picking and using it.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #22

Name: Doug and Becky
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Registry
Take a look at a compact Junior. We just sold ours and pulled it behind a Pontiac vibe and a Chrysler minivan over 60,000 miles. No issues they only weigh about 1100 lb loaded, but you will have issues trying to find one.we currently pull a casita 17 behind a Dodge minivan and it does fine.
CompactJR-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Some larger teardrops with 60" wide beds and full galleys in back actually weigh more than a smaller fiberglass trailer with stand-up headroom. They can be high on tongue weight, too. Check specs closely and allow several hundred pounds for your gear and provisions. The lower profile gives them an aerodynamic advantage, but on the first rainy day you may find yourself wishing for a place to cook and lounge inside. OTOH, if all you need is a dry, comfortable bed with solid walls, check out the molded fiberglass MyPod.

I will second the suggestion of considering a Hunter Compact Jr. The previous poster's 1100# figure seems on the low side, but they are still lighter than most, typically under 1500# fully loaded. They also have one of the lowest towing profiles among fiberglass trailers with stand-up headroom, thanks to their narrower width and pop-top roof, though not as aerodynamic.

Both- teardrop or Compact Jr.- require letting go of the bath requirement. The Compact Jr. (not to be confused with the larger, heavier Compacts I and II) means you will be dealing with a vintage trailer.

The newly launched GoBE trailer, along with the similar Weiscraft Little Joe and vintage Litehouse might be worth considering as well. Though not as light, their narrow width makes for an easier tow, and they have stand-up headroom. I'd expect loaded weights around 1500-1700# for the Little Joe. The GoBE is likely a bit heavier, while the rare Litehouse is somewhat lighter.

Before you go a step further along the trailer path, though, you need to dig a little deeper into the towing requirements of this vehicle. The tow rating alone does not tell the whole story. Read everything your owner's manual says about trailer weight, tongue weight, frontal area, trailer brakes, etc. Know that tow ratings are upper limits based on only 1 or 2 passengers (which?) and no cargo, so if you're bringing stuff with you, the towing capacity decreases.

Dealer?... maybe. As soon as you mention "travel trailer," they may well try to steer you toward an Atlas. A good, independent VW mechanic familiar with the Tiguan might be a better source. The VW 2.0T is a strong engine by most accounts, but towing puts different kinds of stresses on it, and there are the transmission and chassis to consider. You might also spend some time on a Tiguan owner's forum. Just make sure to weigh all advice given against your owner's manual. Some people are willing to take risks well outside the manufacturer's specifications and to advise others to do the same.

Towing with a smaller tow-rated vehicle may be possible, but it does require more attention to the fine print. One absolutely essential detail is trailer brakes. Many small trailers lack them. Adding brakes sometimes requires a whole new axle. Don't underestimate the effect of aerodynamic resistance, which depends on frontal area, shape, and speed.

Towing in general, but especially with a smaller vehicle, also calls for a more leisurely pace of travel, generally not over 60-65 mph on flats, and climbing grades with the semis in lower gears. You can't make 600 miles in a day as you might driving solo.

Best wishes as you sort all this out!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
If your limit is 2200 pounds better stick with a 13. Check weights in the real world. Scamp site weights are lower than reality.
What I am sure Bill is referring to and what I failed to see described for you in my quick scan of this thread, is a database of trailer weights collected from actual users in real world use (i.e. with typical options and loaded with gear). It is our "go-to" guide to what these trailers really weigh. (Or at least what they did when the data was collected.. the average is likely slightly higher with newer trailers).

A good starting point to deciding on a tow vehicle's suitability is to plan on the trailer's weight being well under the tow vehicle's max (ideal conditions) tow rating.. maybe 75-80% at most.

The thread is here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

A spreadsheet of the data is here:
http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls

I suggest using the spreadsheet and sorting or filtering it in different ways to help you decide. If you need it, a free MS compatible spreadsheet program is part of https://www.libreoffice.org/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
For safety and optimum fuel economy we seldom exceed 60MPH when towing. Ford says we should not exceed 70MPH when towing (sage advice IMO)...
And with your new Ranger, the max is 62 MPH when towing (per Ford).

Ya know, the more I see of auto maker's statements, the more inclined I am to ignore them. My Asbestos suit is donned.
Attached Thumbnails
Page208.jpg  
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hey Gordon2,
Have you read the manual for your Toyota Sienna?
Found this in the back of the manual for my RAV4.
Attached Thumbnails
toyota tow instrutions.jpg  
Old 01-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #27

Arizona
Registry
Toyota is one of the most risk-averse vehicle manufacturers on the planet. Guess they did such a great marketing job convincing people their vehicles were infallible that too many actually believed it! Now they tell us we just weren't driving them right...

U-Haul, another famously risk-averse company, also puts the same 45 mph towing speed limit on every trailer it rents.

In the context of this thread, however, there’s a danger of creating disdain for owner’s manuals in general. They remain the primary authoritative source for manufacturer specifications regarding towing... combined with a little common sense.

For the record, I consider my old 2000 Toyota Sienna one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Guess that makes me risk-averse, too...
Old 01-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #28

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
When I was looking at used vehicles a few years back with the idea of towing, I found one where one model year it had a tow rating and the next it did not. The funny part was the vehicle was not redesigned, they were exactly the same from one year to the next (body, engine, transmission)! I wish I could remember which one it was.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #29

Arizona
Registry
Not quite the same, but the second generation Honda Pilot 2WD dropped from 3500# to 2000# at the mid-cycle refresh (2012). I was told there was a change in transmission cooling. The 3500# rating on 2WD models returned with the third generation (2016).

A small change in components could be one reason. They might also be experiencing higher than expected failure/warranty costs due to towing. Seemingly arbitrary spec changes may not be.

But even if so, they are what they are. I opted for a used 2011 Pilot with a 3500# rating.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #30

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by randysan View Post
thanks for the input....i've read some accounts of people happily towing their 1500 lb trailers about. as this the car i've got, i'll need to find the right fit.....maybe there is a decent 1500 lb or less trailer out there that thru economy of design will work for me. i can live without the bathroom/shower but don't wanna....

WHY DON'T YOU GET A BIGGER CAR? CHANCES ARE A 13' TRAILER MIGHT NOT SUIT YOU. hOW TALL ARE YOU? HOW BIG?WHAT KIND OF TOYS WILL YOU LIKELY TAKE CAMPING? HOW MANY PEOPLE, FIREWOOOD, BIKES???
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #31

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
When I was looking at used vehicles a few years back with the idea of towing, I found one where one model year it had a tow rating and the next it did not. The funny part was the vehicle was not redesigned, they were exactly the same from one year to the next (body, engine, transmission)! I wish I could remember which one it was.

The famous Ford Crown Victoria initially had 5000 lbs tow rating. In the beginning of 90th the rating has been decreased to 3500. Starting with 98 model year Ford decreased the tow rating to 2000 lbs. I towed Scamp 16 with 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis (Crownvic sibling). Sometime around 2005-2006 model year the tow rating has been decreased again to 1500 lbs (sic, for a car which weights 4000 lbs!). On September 15, 2011, the final Ford Crown Victoria rolled off the assembly line.

"The design of Ford Crown Victoria was very conservative. The only thing that was changed over the years was the tow rating". This is a known saying among crownvic entusiasts.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #32

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
California
Hi randysan... I have a 1976 Trillium 1300 with electric brakes. I tow it with a 2017 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4tsi with 5 speed manual transmission and a brake controller. The owner's manual says the car can handle a 200 pound tongue weight and can tow 2000 pounds. The gross trailer weight is 1500 pounds. The car engine generates approximately 150 hp and 185 foot pounds of torque. The car manages just fine. I think being you have a small SUV, you'll be fine as long as you make sure your trailer doesn't exceed the limits noted in your owner's manual and that it has working brakes. Just do your research and be sure you do what is right for you. [emoji846]
Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #33

Name: Randy
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
thank u scott....that is a fine lookin' trailer
randysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #34

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
California
Thanks! [emoji846]
Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #35

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hey Gordon2,
Have you read the manual for your Toyota Sienna?
Yea.. the more reason I said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ya know, the more I see of auto maker's statements, the more inclined I am to ignore them. ....
Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #36

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you decide to buy a project, #1 piece of advice I have is it really, really helps to have covered storage for your trailer. Rain and snow are your enemy. Having it under cover eliminates a lot of problems.

#2 piece of advice is to check the floor carefully and get a trailer without floor soft spots. Read up on what people go through repairing floor rot. Its a major under taking and can be avoided by buying the "right" trailer.

I have a carport, that is good enough. I also can fit my Trillium in the garage.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #37

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefldiver View Post
WHY DON'T YOU GET A BIGGER CAR? CHANCES ARE A 13' TRAILER MIGHT NOT SUIT YOU. hOW TALL ARE YOU? HOW BIG?WHAT KIND OF TOYS WILL YOU LIKELY TAKE CAMPING? HOW MANY PEOPLE, FIREWOOOD, BIKES???
Every time I see this advice is rubs me the wrong way.

For those of us who aren't full time travelers, it simply doesn't make financial sense to go buy a new TV in order to haul a more expensive trailer on the odd weekend. Money isn't everything, but I imagine it could be hard to enjoy camping when you're thinking about the hit your nest egg is taking to pay for this adventure. Even buying a used truck or SUV for the sole purpose will set you back several thousand dollars initially, plus maintenance and insurance as recurring costs. It makes more sense to me to adjust expectations now and reap benefits later.

Alright, I'm off my soap box.

Randy, here is an older thread about towing with a Tiguan: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...uan-56935.html. The thread is from 2013, but Tiguans from 2009-2013 had the same 2,200 lbs tow rating as your 2017.

IF you get a trailer with electric brakes, you can find an aftermarket brake controller and 7-pin plug conversion kit on etrailer. I ordered my brake controller, a Tekonsha Prodigy P2, off of Amazon ($40 cheaper than etrailer), but the conversion kit to go from 4 to 7-pin came off of etrailer. Etrailer also had instructional videos for many makes, models, and years that walk you through step-by-step installation if you want to tackle the project yourself.

The thread I linked to has some discussion about having VW install your hitch and wiring harness for the brake controller. It looks like installing the hitch receiver (and a 4-pin) is pretty straightforward, but VW has some fancy computer interaction when it comes to your brakes and the trailer brakes. It might be worth calling your dealership to see what's required and get a quote. Have the VIN handy so they can look up what your Tiguan already has.

I know people tow the Scamp 13 without brakes. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that. The user manual for our Highlander prohibits towing over 1,000 lbs of gross trailer weight without trailer brakes. As Jon said, Toyota is risk averse, but when I cause an accident because I can't stop in time, guess where that liability will fall...
Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefldiver View Post
Wow, it's really loud in here!
Old 01-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #39

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Since you are looking at all types of small trailers, here is a link to Taylor Coach (https://www.taylorcoach.com/history.php) that makes 10' and 12' trailers with GVWR of 1500 to 1800 lbs. (Click on Models, Specifications to get a drop down menu.)

They will build a trailer according to the options you want and thus the trailer can be as lightweight or heavy (within the above limits) as you are able to tow. These trailers are make one-at-a-time with a history of strong attention to quality construction. Please note that the Dry Gross Weight(lbs) of 850 and 1,000 for the 10' and 12' are without any options. In other words you can have a trailer built without a fridge, stove, dinette, or whatever you do or don't want included.

We have a 2008 17' Nit Nak Side Door that has been a delight to own for these 10+ years.

Good luck on you search. We took three years to research our needs and the trailers available in 2008. We tow with a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 4.8L V8 that is more than needed, but I like to have more tow vehicle than I need.

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #40

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Trust your car’s Manufacturer

I’m a new guy as well, waiting to pick up my 13 ft Scamp in the summer. I had the same questions regarding my Outback as you have for your Tiguan. I read my manual several times and have read many posts and watched a few you tube videos. I am comfortable with my trailer selection for now. My recommendation is to trust what the VW engineers and lawyers have to say at least as much as what you read on line, maybe even a little bit more.

Some numbers that have been engrained in my head. The Scamp 13 has an axel rating of 2200 lbs. Scamp typically estimates their small trailer at around 1500 lbs empty, but that really depends on your options. They also say the camper toung weight is 200 lbs. My Subaru owner’s manual says the car can tow 3000 lbs if the trailer has brakes. It also says the toung weight must be less than 200 lbs. One final parameter is the car’s payload. That is how much weight can be placed in the car. For my car it is 900 lbs and for Subaru that includes driver, passengers, and cargo. My wife, my dog and myself weigh in at around 400 lbs. Add that to the 200 lbs on the hitch and I can max out my payload in the car with 300 lbs of cargo. I will not do that because some margin is wise. I have no experience with this combination so more margin would be more wise. I understand that I have no margin in the toung weight. The only thing I can say Ti that is I’ll keep a very close eye on that when towing. I guess I need a sturdy bathroom scale as part of my trailer tool kit.

I’ve learned from this helpful and fun websight that a big question is how much margin is necessary? Some want 100% margin in everything and some want 10% where they think it counts. People have advised me to try my tow vehicle - trailer combination and see how I like it. I figure that I will know that it works for me after a few hundred miles and a similar number of stops and starts. I’ll be very conscious of things for a while. Very excited on this end. I hope you find a trailer you like for your Tiguan.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote