Need advice... Casita, or Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #1

Name: Hector
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Idaho
Need advice... Casita, or Scamp?

So I'm a complete newby, and have been reading up on trailers lately. Heres my story:
I married a girl who loves to camp, but we work all the time and pretty much don"t hit the road by ourselves. My inlaws have a large trailer that we stay in with them when we camp with them about 2 or 3 times a year. My wife has mentioned since we got married that she'd like us to get a camper someday, and pretty much her only requirement is that it have a bathroom. Not knowing much about the small camper market (and not wanting a popup), I didn't expect to be able to get something worthwhile that I didn't need a large pickup for. I stumbled across fiberglass RVs, and love what I've seen and read. So.... heres what im working with....

I have a 2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X, four cylinder with a 2 inch uhaul trailer hitch. I believe my towing capacity is somthing like 2300 lbs. I know the vehicle itself limits me a bit, but its what I have to use. We probably wouldn't be using it more than a weekend a month until work slows down, and we wouldnt be dragging it over the rockies, or through really dificult terrain. I'm inerested in a Scamp or Casita. I probably should just be looking at the 13's, but I'm getting sucked in by the notion of the extra space of the 16's. I keep telling myself that I will keep it loaded really light (have a rooftop carrier), and drive slow, and that everything will work out with the longer model.

So what do I need to know? Am I nuts thinking I can pull off towing a 16' with a Forester? If the answer is a big "no", then I can probably live with the 13'

Now the other big question, and since I'm new here, I dont know if this is a sensitive one.... Casita, or Scamp? Theres some little aesthetic touches about the Casita that make it seem slightly more refined to me, but I know that they come out fairly equally in a head to head. Im worried about weight, but I'd probably want either one equipped about the same.

I really love this site, and I've been dying to get this question posted to get all of your imput.
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Hector, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here. Others will pop in shortly with suggestions and opinions... but I wanted to say
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My experience is that a Casita 16 weighs more than a Scamp 16.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Hector, Welcome, Glad you joined us! Your are smart to be worried about your towing capacity. Follow your gut, follow your car manufactures tow cap! You can find a trailer that will fit your tow cap, might be a little harder but it's do-able. As for your car top carrier, please read your owners manual because the more weight you add to your vehicle the less your tow capacity will be. Even occupants of your car will reduce your tow cap. Understanding all that goes into towing, is your first step to safe towning.

Your wife is a smart women, in my world a bathroom its a must. But that being said they are more weighty! Older glass egg's tend to weigh less! The newer the model the more it weights. As for which trailer brand to buy, personally my opinion when purchasing in the used market it would be, Whatever brand comes up that will fit your camping style!

My recommendation would be, whatever brand you find weight it! It's worth the $8 to $15. The best money you could spend on your search.

I would also recomend also taking a buyers guide with you. You can find it in the Document Center. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...hp?do=cat&id=5
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Hector. Love to see another Subaru owner join us! Luv my Subaru think you will find its a great little tow vehicle providing you find a trailer that meets its tow specs. Check your manual but I suspect your going to find that your tow cap is 2400lbs and the tongue weight limit is most likely only 200lbs and you will need to find a trailer with brakes if its over 1000lbs. Think you will find the tongue weight becomes a bit of a limiting factor in regards to the Subaru tow ratings but its is something you need to pay close attention to. Some will suggest that can be overcome with the use of a weight distribution hitch but again you need to check your owners manual as mine (as well as all the others I have seen) state that such a hitch is not to be used on a Subaru. As a result I think you are going to find that both the total weight cap and the tongue rules out towing either a 16' Scamp & or a Casita.

Lots of folks here towing with the Forester but in most cases they are pulling 13' or light 15' trailers. Scamp makes a 13' with a bathroom that will meet your tow cap and I think Escape had a 15' one as well although I dont know what its real world weight is.

Take a look here at what the Real World Weights of fiberglass trailers are. These were taken by a member of the forum at a number of fiberglass trailer meets. As you will see it is very common for trailers to weigh in between 600/700lbs more than what the manufactures dry weights are - this is due to the dry weights not including any optional equipment such as awnings, battery, propane tanks, fridges, bathrooms, etc or any of your own camping gear & food.

If you are wishing to enjoy a good safe tow and long and happy trouble free relationship with your Subaru and retain your warranty IMHO you should try to find a trailer that meets its tow specs.

Happy hunting!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
go with the 13 foot,,,keeps your honey closer.
as to casita or scamp?......yes
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
seriously,,, your not that far from scamp, you could drive over there some weekend and look them over, they might even let you hook one up for a test drive,,,at least around their lot.call wayne at scamp and see what he has to say.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #8

Name: Hector
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Idaho
Thank you all for the replies! I appreciate the support. I'll be asking some more questions, for sure.
Id love to take a trip out to scamp, but the same thing that keeps me from camping much will also keep me from taking a trip out there. Idaho is quite a hike from the upper midwest (its a big joke out here about how folks think we are Iowa!).
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Fiberglass Trailer Meets are a great way of seeing a lot of different trailers all in one place. Unfortunately you are just a couple of weeks late for the one that was held in Idaho.

You can always start a new thread here asking for someone in your area to show you their trailer - people love to show their trailers off!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp