Need advise on whether to add electric brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
P3 is good too.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
P3 is good too.
David,
Thanks! Can you please explain the difference between the P2 and P3?
Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The proportional brake controllers used to be a very high priced option, now the prices are very near the same as for the time delay brake controllers.

Nice article on the differences between the two. Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com

Trailer brakes are electric tow vehicle brakes are hydraulic. The time delay controller simply provides an ability to set a delay and adjust how hard the trailer brakes are applied. Needed because electric trailer brake action is instant, hydraulic TV brakes take time to compress brake fluid and increase braking pressure. Without delay you would get yanked back by the trailer brakes coming on first and harder.

Proportional use technology to detect rate of tow vehicle deceleration from braking and feed trailer brakes the correct amount of electric current to provide proportional amount of trailer braking.

One thing to consider is where you will mount a proportional braking unit in the tow vehicle. Because proportional has to detect deceleration front to back the less expensive units have to be mounted closer to level and in a straight line front to back. More expensive units can be mounted so that they are angled up or down and adjust to not being level. At a more expensive price point they can function at more extreme angles.

Half way down these pages the angles are diagramed which may make this clearer.
Cheaper model.
Brake Controller for 2005 Escape by Ford | etrailer.com

More expensive model.
Brake Controller for 2005 Ford Escape - Tekonsha 90885

One other feature of note in the more expensive model, it cuts down power to 25% if stopped for more than 5 seconds, such as at a traffic light. Helps keep the trailer brake activators from getting hot in stop and go driving.

I'm not able to say one way or another if etrailer is good site to purchase from but they have good documentation.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #24

Michigan
I figure it is worth adding that the shops I talked to all default to the time delay controller when they install. Mostly I think because that type of controller is not position sensitive which makes their job easier. Not because it is a better controller technology.

Time delay just get triggered by brake lights getting power so you can mount it at any angle or in any direction. Makes trailer shops install job easier. Proportional has to be aligned correctly and within up/down angle that controller will function.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #25

Alberta
Registry
Actually, the P2 and P3 can be mounted at any angle, as long as it's center line is in parallel to the vehicles center line. I think the older Prodigy had a rotatable acceleration sensor to compensate for mounting it at an angel.

The P2 and P3 controllers are pretty much the same, just a fancy display on the P3.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #26

Arkansas
RogerDat,
Thanks for explaining the differences in controllers! Since the expensive ones are a little a $100 dollars, that should be affordable.
I think I can dig up some spare change and get the more expensive model!
Thanks,
Carl
Old 07-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
IMHO time delay controller's are so ineffective they should be banned based on my experience. Best money spent is on a quality controller.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
David,
Carl
When it comes to the size of trailers most of us have here the only functional difference between the two is price
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #29

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
When it comes to the size of trailers most of us have here the only functional difference between the two is price
Agreed. But if you shop around, there is not much difference in price.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #30

Michigan
Quote:
David,
Carl
I think the P3 can store multiple settings for different trailers or weights. E.G setting 1 for flat bed trailer empty, setting 2 for flat bed trailer loaded with heavy earth moving equipment.

What some might consider a nicer LCD display with words rather than codes. Has more buttons to navigate the menus and settings. Which may be easier to use.

Cost $20 more.

But functionally I have to agree with Carol not going to make much difference for towing our campers.

I think the main reason the older style time delay controllers still exist is because they have gotten so cheap. Less than $50 for a name brand controller.

Early proportional controllers used a pendulum to detect deceleration and thus where very touchy about position which may have given them a reputation with some people for being unreliable. Now they use pretty much same technology as smart phones use to detect motion.

There could be some situations where one wants to mount the controller sideways on the dog house of a commercial truck or some other odd orientation that would not work for a proportional controller but would with a time delay. The other one scenario I have heard mentioned is hourly employees tend to break stuff in commercial trucks, they kick it or hit it with tools and replacing a $50 controller beats replacing a $125 controller.

But for our uses I don't think it makes sense to waste money on a time delay controller unless price is a huge consideration and you figure your trailer use is so limited you don't need much beyond "it works".
Old 07-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #31

Registry
I had the not so great pleasure last summer while towing another parties rig of being reminded what a delay controller felt like! Very jerky. Cant imagine going back to that after having used a proportional controller.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #32

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Iowa
My Scamp has electric brakes, although the PO didn't know it. I am thinking about taking advantage of those and adding a brake controller to my 09 Escape. What would a reasonable price to have someone install it? Keep in mind the Escape didn't come with a factory tow package.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Joe get the P2 and install it yourself. Etrailer has many videos of the install and most likely will have one of your truck. It's not hard at all. It took me about 1 1/2 hrs to do my Ranger.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
My Scamp has electric brakes, although the PO didn't know it. I am thinking about taking advantage of those and adding a brake controller to my 09 Escape. What would a reasonable price to have someone install it? Keep in mind the Escape didn't come with a factory tow package.
The Controller itself is a plug and play so once you have the blue brake line installed in the car it should only be a matter of plugging it in and setting it up yourself. The P2 is a pretty easy controller to set up and use.

I can't recall how much I paid to have the brake line installed on my last tug about $125 sounds about right. Check around as I recall prices were all over the map.

As an incentive check your Escapes owners manual it may be that Ford requires them on anything you tow over x so many pounds - often it is over 1000 or 1500lbs. Its also the law in some states that brakes be used if the trailer weights half or more of the weight of the tow vehicle.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #35

Arkansas
Just went to a shop this morning, to check on brake controllers! Price range was $70 up to $150. To have it installed was around $30. These are Arkansas prices.
Hope this helps.

Carl
Old 07-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Just went to a shop this morning, to check on brake controllers! Price range was $70 up to $150. To have it installed was around $30. These are Arkansas prices.
Hope this helps.

Carl
Carl, I am assuming that the $30 was to install the controller itself and that it doesnt include the running of the actual controller/brake wire on the tug if it didn't come with one? Is that correct?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #37

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Carl, I am assuming that the $30 was to install the controller itself and that it doesnt include the running of the actual controller/brake wire on the tug if it didn't come with one? Is that correct?
Carol,
Yes, you are correct! $30 is just to plug the cable into the system. That will connect the controller to the towing system. If they have to run all of cables, then it will cost more.
Hope that answers your question.
Carl