Need Help Please :) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Jessica
Trailer: Burro
Sacramento, CA
Need Help Please :)

Hello I purchased my first 1981 Burro Trailer a couple of weeks ago and I want to do a little work on it. Since it’s my first time owning a trailer I was wondering if some of you can recommend places where I can find the products that I am looking for. Thank you in advance

1. I would like to purchase or replace the windows. The ones they have are fine, but I would like them tinted. Do I just replace the plexi glass?
2. Would like to find new 13’ white wall tires with baby moon hubcaps
3. Find a new Dinette table
4. Add a refrigerator, what kind should I purchase? Propane?
and
5. I want a cute new awning?

Can someone help please

Thank you,
Jessica
megavega99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Jessica and welcome to the group

1. Windows can usually be tinted in place. Either buy the film or take it to an auto tinting shop. New glass or plastic will be very expensive.

2. I really doubt if you can find 13" white wall tires that are trailer rated. Try looking at the classified ads on the Hemming's.com site. You might also check with tincantourists.com. they are into classic trailers and may have a source.
The baby Moons are on Ebay, but you have to match them with the kind of rim you have. They're called innies or outies.

3. You don't mention where you are in CA, but many larger RV dealers will have take-out and scratched table tops for a very small price. If you need an exact dimension you might be able to find one. Richardson's RV in Riverside has about a half a dozen table tops in their recycle area. Ask for Mike & drop my name.

4. The Dometic RM2193 is a good choice and there are several other in that same size range, BUT, they are abut $6-700 and, if you don't already have one installed, a new installation can get somewhat expensive. The 12 VDC only refrigerators have the advantage that they are a lot easier to install, but require a lot more battery capacity. Research that entire question before you decide.

5. I don't know abut "Cute" awnings, but a new roll out awning will run about $800 + installation. There are other awnings, like bag awnings, that I am sure others will chime in with, but Cute is a real tough one for moi ...LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Need Help Please :)

There are four main categories of awnings commonly used with fiberglass eggs.

(1). Case awnings. They self-store in a rigid aluminum case that attaches to the shell. Many factory awnings are this type.

(2) Bag awnings. These self-store in a fabric bag that hangs from an awning rail (aluminum C-channel) that mounts on the shell.

(3) Rope-and-pole awnings. These slide into the same awning rail as a bag awning and are supported by separate poles and guy ropes. They have to be removed for travel and stored in the trailer or tug. They are popular among vintage trailer owners. Perhaps this is what you meant by "cute" as they are usually custom made in a variety of colorful fabrics?

(4). Free-standing awnings. These include the metal-framed types you see at Walmart as well as some more sophisticated designs like the Clam shelter.

Do a search to find out more about any of these. If it's the rope-and-pole you're looking for, Marti's Awnings is one vendor I've heard of. Vintage Trailer Supply may also have them.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #4

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
We are buying an 8x9 awning for $410 (we added fringe and scalloping) plus rail $30, poles $30 and $20 tape to attach. We are doing the work ourself as it is as easy as double stick taping it on (we hope. We haven't done it yet)
We got ours through sew country awnings. This is not our camper as we haven't finalized the order yet Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1438089085.564826.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	87205Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1438089108.917222.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	87206

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #5

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
2. Coker tire might but mostly make tires for autos not trailers. You can always put incerts in. This web page has 13" for sale. PORTAWALLSHOP, WHITEWALL, CLASSIC TIRE INSERTS FREE SHIPPING ;side wall, port-a-wall, port-o-wall, tire insert, whitewall, tyre insert, tire line, tire trim
Please note: I remember seeing a tires sidewall worn down under the lip of the insert a guy had on his vw bug. Maybe he had them installed wrong but I would do some research before thowing them on your wheels.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
WOW... Port-a-walls. I haven't seen those in actual use in 50 years and, even at the service station I worked in as a teen, we wouldn't install them and pulled a lot of them off that had started to pull out on their own.

For period Show Cars and Trailer/Driveway Queens, maybe, but for daily use on a trailer? Never.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
This company is pretty much nation wide which is why I used them as a link but a Google search for Aluminum awning track should find you a lot of options.

TACO Aluminum Awning Track - 16'L, 1-1/4"H, 1/2"W, Silver Bright Dip and Anodized | West Marine

Essentially you have a rope either sewn into the edge of the awning which you then slide into the track from the end. slot is large enough for tarp to come through but too small for rope. Can even use with regular tarp wrapped over a rope by adding a few grip clips.

People attach the molding to the side of trailer with heavy duty double stick tape (think tape is called VBH)

Please be aware most awnings will not tolerate stormy weather reliably. Taking them down or providing extra anchoring for bad weather is pretty much a given. Even the big steel 80 lb. Ez Up canopies will break in a storm. Don't ask how I know. Would not spend big bucks trying to get "storm proof" awning, probably not going to happen.

Make note of your bolt pattern on those wheels how many and the distance between the bolts will determine what you can get for rims.

Did campers generally even have white wall tires? Google search for advertising showed some in the 60's having WW tires but very few and none in the 70's that I saw. Most of the vintage campers with WW tires I saw were current pictures but when I went looking at the original advertisements most were black wall.

Of course you do have the option of changing axle to get different size rims in order to have a different selection of rims and tires. Not cheap at more than $500 but it is an option.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

Sacramento, CA
Bob, your such a sweetheart, thank you so much! I will look into all the information you gave me!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #9

Sacramento, CA
Jon, thank you for helpful information! Now that you have explained them all to me, I think I am considering the Rope-and-pole awnings. They are the cute ones.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
There are four main categories of awnings commonly used with fiberglass eggs.

(1). Case awnings. They self-store in a rigid aluminum case that attaches to the shell. Many factory awnings are this type.

(2) Bag awnings. These self-store in a fabric bag that hangs from an awning rail (aluminum C-channel) that mounts on the shell.

(3) Rope-and-pole awnings. These slide into the same awning rail as a bag awning and are supported by separate poles and guy ropes. They have to be removed for travel and stored in the trailer or tug. They are popular among vintage trailer owners. Perhaps this is what you meant by "cute" as they are usually custom made in a variety of colorful fabrics?

(4). Free-standing awnings. These include the metal-framed types you see at Walmart as well as some more sophisticated designs like the Clam shelter.
What about the Carefree Fiesta Awning that's standard on the Escape? It's definitely not a case awning, a bag awning, a rope-and-pole or a free-standing. Just curious what category they fall under.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #11

Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
We are buying an 8x9 awning for $410 (we added fringe and scalloping) plus rail $30, poles $30 and $20 tape to attach. We are doing the work ourself as it is as easy as double stick taping it on (we hope. We haven't done it yet)
We got ours through sew country awnings. This is not our camper as we haven't finalized the order yet Attachment 87205Attachment 87206

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
This is exactly what I am looking for soooo cute! And I love the extra details! Thank your for sharing!

Jessica
Old 07-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin57 View Post
2. Coker tire might but mostly make tires for autos not trailers. You can always put incerts in. This web page has 13" for sale. PORTAWALLSHOP, WHITEWALL, CLASSIC TIRE INSERTS FREE SHIPPING ;side wall,Â* port-a-wall, port-o-wall, tire insert, whitewall, tyre insert, tire line, tire trim
Please note: I remember seeing a tires sidewall worn down under the lip of the insert a guy had on his vw bug. Maybe he had them installed wrong but I would do some research before thowing them on your wheels.

Wow interesting, never new these existed! I will do a little more research!
Thank you
Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #13

Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
This company is pretty much nation wide which is why I used them as a link but a Google search for Aluminum awning track should find you a lot of options.

TACO Aluminum Awning Track - 16'L, 1-1/4"H, 1/2"W, Silver Bright Dip and Anodized | West Marine

Essentially you have a rope either sewn into the edge of the awning which you then slide into the track from the end. slot is large enough for tarp to come through but too small for rope. Can even use with regular tarp wrapped over a rope by adding a few grip clips.

People attach the molding to the side of trailer with heavy duty double stick tape (think tape is called VBH)

Please be aware most awnings will not tolerate stormy weather reliably. Taking them down or providing extra anchoring for bad weather is pretty much a given. Even the big steel 80 lb. Ez Up canopies will break in a storm. Don't ask how I know. Would not spend big bucks trying to get "storm proof" awning, probably not going to happen.

Make note of your bolt pattern on those wheels how many and the distance between the bolts will determine what you can get for rims.

Did campers generally even have white wall tires? Google search for advertising showed some in the 60's having WW tires but very few and none in the 70's that I saw. Most of the vintage campers with WW tires I saw were current pictures but when I went looking at the original advertisements most were black wall.

Of course you do have the option of changing axle to get different size rims in order to have a different selection of rims and tires. Not cheap at more than $500 but it is an option.

Roger your so helpful, I saw these pictures and I definitely loved the look.
Attached Thumbnails
2684724c7c35440d481c402beea92ec6.jpg   e96cc6c6b61b655272e86a444ad863a6.jpg  

Old 07-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #14

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
For Cute vintage awnings check out this site. I haven't used them but have seen numerous references to them.

Vintage Trailer Awnings Tips
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
What about the Carefree Fiesta Awning that's standard on the Escape? It's definitely not a case awning, a bag awning, a rope-and-pole or a free-standing. Just curious what category they fall under.

Not sure because I haven't seen it... Is it a roll-out like the big guys use? Not even sure if that's what they call them, but I had one on an old trailer I owned many years ago.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is the awning on my Escape in the half open position, which it what I use if I'm expecting wind.
Easy open, easy close, and no ropes to trip over. Posts can be removed from the trailer and stood straight up.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 07-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
For Cute vintage awnings check out this site. I haven't used them but have seen numerous references to them.

Vintage Trailer Awnings Tips

These are a cool awning that work with the rail I described. Link to their selection of color swatches already sent to wife. Telling her is one thing sending it email I know she will see it.

The white wall and moonie look in those pictures is pretty cool. Get your bolt measurements (might be 5 bolts on 4.5 inch but check)

Then give this page a look Wheel Only 13 Inch Tires and Wheels | etrailer.com

Especially this item Americana Conventional Steel Wheel with Offset - 13" x 4-1/2" Rim - 5 on 4-1/2 - Black Americana Tires and Wheels AM20214 because it does take the moon hub caps according to the reviews BUT it is offset and that offset has to match up with what works on your axle and your wheel well.

You could always give E trailer a call they have a reputation of being good to deal with. Find out the offset then contact a local tire store to see if they would fit.

Good hunting!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #18

Name: Donald
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
You can paint on white walls. Google "white wall tire paint" for several sources of paint. Also see YouTube for many videos on how to paint your tires.
robertsd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I second Teri's recommendation for an awning - Martie's Awnings which the website that the Trailer Awning Tips link takes you is indeed the go to place.

Martie has done lots of awnings for vintage trailers owners here in the Pacific North West. She is the go to awning lady for sure if your wanting a well made awning with a cute factor!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #20

Name: Gary
Trailer: Alto by Safari Condo
Illinois
White wall ST (trailer) tires are available here under 'Ready to buy?'.
Serro Scotty Tires and Wheel Information | National Serro Scotty Organization

GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote