Never posted before old member - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: scamp 13 scamp 5th, casita 13
Michigan
Never posted before old member

Hello, I'm an old member but new to posting. I have 2 scamps 13 and 5th as well as a 13 casita. Last night a branch hit my rear window of the 13 scamp. It's a 99 with the slider. Broke both sides but one side could still be used at a template as I taped it back together . Can I get the glass cut at a hardware? It seems thicker than normal glass. Thanks in advance we have rain coming to MICHIGAN so time is of the essence.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I would go to an autoglass shop as they can radius the corners

Old 04-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would check with Scamp on a new unit. their prices are pretty fair on stuff except the shipping is expensive.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
You won't find tempered glass for windows in any hardware or big box stores that can be cut. They can only cut regular plate glass, and they also can't do radius corners either. I'd suggest calling the Scamp shop and see if they can provide a replacement, or else contact one of the many RV window manufacturers out there who can probably build one to your specs, if they don't already have one on the shelf that would fit.

FWIW, I don't have a Scamp, but I have ordered custom windows from this outfit before. They'll make you anything you could want in an RV or Trailer window.
https://www.rvwindows.com/products/
Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #5

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
My 79 boler has sliders in the back and they are plexiglass. Maybe prior owners put this in.?.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #6

Name: William
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 16
Washington
Dropped window

I was resealing a Hehr slider window in my Scamp and pulled a bonehead move. Dropped it out of the window and broke a pane on the driveway. I was just sick. Took it to a local auto glass shop and they replaced exactly with non-tempered glass. Cost $74.00. I got a neighbor to help me hold the window on the next attempt. Multiple lessons learned.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:40 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ryan View Post
I was resealing a Hehr slider window in my Scamp and pulled a bonehead move. Dropped it out of the window and broke a pane on the driveway. I was just sick. Took it to a local auto glass shop and they replaced exactly with non-tempered glass. Cost $74.00. I got a neighbor to help me hold the window on the next attempt. Multiple lessons learned.
Hate when that happens and have been down that road a few times myself Bill. But I after seeing a number of posts of folks using non tempered glass it makes me shudder after seeing the results of injuries of NT glass....even though no ones riding in the TT.
JMHO but I'd use plexy as a second choice.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:31 AM   #8

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
I agree with Dave. Here in New England just the strain put on the glass from hitting a "Maine-Pot-Hole", where you could easily loose a tire and rim, just may be enough to take out a non-tempered glass window.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Scamp lists a complete rear window for $180. Someone found, a few years ago, a company that would custom cut rounded corner tempered glass. You could order online. I don't recall the company, maybe a search here will locate it. I bought a Scamp window to put in our Uhaul, they shipped it in a wood box.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Found the post on custom cut glass. Never used them, know nothing about them, check it out; secure.onedayglass.com
Old 09-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #11

Name: Lisa
Trailer: scamp 13 scamp 5th, casita 13
Michigan
Thank you all for your kind advise I got it fixed - I used plexi glass but will eventually just order a whole new window with case etc.